Charming..more exp if you break charm before kill?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Hinastorm86 Augur

Hello.

I've been trying to decide what to play, so I went to live and messed around with my 65 chanter for a bit.

I've heard killing things with a currently charmed pet nets less exp per kill, so I wanted to test it.

This was just a quick test, but I went to BoT and charmed/killed level 63 mobs.

I ended up with 55% aa per kill with charm active, and 44% aa per kill when I would break charm, and then kill something.

Is this roughly the behavior I can expect on phinny? Cause thats a pretty minor difference, and just keeping something charmed seems like it would save alot of time/mana than having to break charm, cc it, and then kill the low health one, etc etc.
  2. Moranis Augur

On Ragefire I play a chanter and charm kill like mad and there's no noticeable difference whether or not you have something charmed.

Now I haven't tested out when you're using a charmed pet and it does ALL the damage vs. if you do at least 1pt of damage...I've heard you only get 50% exp if the charmed pet does all the damage, but I can't prove that.
  3. Marthisdil Augur

If the pet (including charmed) does 100% of the damage, you lose some xp.
    Just toss a dot on the mob and y ou're fine.
  4. Jarith Lorekeeper

The big advantage on breaking charm before killing is that you're killing 2 mobs for the price of 1. So a necro charms an undead in unrest/LGuk and sends it against another. Then when both are close to dead FD, immediately pop up and undead nuke both once or twice to finish them off. This is especially useful in LGuk as the frogs often root each other. Come Kunark you have enough hp and mana to form a blender of 3 rooted enemy mobs to send your pet against then break with CoS and nuke once to kill and repeat.

For a chanter I've found it is generally best to buff up my pet and slow the enemies as the pet can go through 4 to infinite mobs depending upon what I've charmed. Not having a self heal or FD makes breaking it seem like too much trouble.
  5. Iyvy Augur

I
    If you do not have a healer a hasted charm pet can very easily kill you. If you're gonna haste your pet better have a back up plan. I'm a little annoyed with the amount of people who are asking about and want to go enchanter. It's a very in depth class that starts very slow, so maybe those people will taper off, but they're gonna be disappointed come raid/epic time when they discover the best class is the worst raider and has an epic that requires multiple pieces of unobtanium.
  6. Jarith Lorekeeper

You can also give them a DS if you're worried about hasted pet breaks. Honestly with the berserker line I've found I'm fine with hasting a pet solo as long as I'm not handing it weapons too. Something like a cleric/shaman mob is a terrible group choice for a pet, but a good solo choice as it can keep itself up with self heals. For example charming an Imperial Crypt Guardian and tossing it haste but no weapons allows me to solo crypt to blood and back without an issue and it complete heals itself when it gets low. In classic I would solo various camps in LGuk (mostly frenzy/sent and cav/exe/sage) while waiting on friends to login in my mid 40s.

But no, don't try to tash, charm, haste, and hand something like a reanimated dragoon weapons and think you're going to be fine solo.
  7. Shae'der'lun Journeyman

You need to do at least one point of damage to get full xp. That's it.
    Grab a ceramic band and you're good to go. Good for breaking mezzes as well.
  8. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Never played a necro past like 20 and planning to make one here when kunark drops...That's my stave-off-the-alt-itis plan, at least.

Question from the above post....Does FD break charm? Interesting.

Also, the majority of my charming in this game has been swarming on a bard so never got that deep into it on a single mob basis. If you charm a mob that heals....Will they heal you?
  9. Jarith Lorekeeper

FD breaks charm when it is successful. If it fails the mob stays charmed.

The mob will not heal you currently that I've seen unless you charm it while it is casting a heal on another mob, forcing it to redirect its heal onto you.

On the test server this weekend when I was testing the pet changes the shamans in seb were occasionally healing me if a mob was currently targeting me and I was less than about 40% life. They wouldn't heal my character out of combat. I couldn't get the Imperial Crypt Guardian (cleric mob) to heal my enchanter despite intentionally dropping down to 20-40% health and staying there for a minute while in combat, but I wasn't the focus of attacks for that entire minute (as I'd have been very dead). It was far from reliable for the shamans, you couldn't count on it. I also have no clue if that change will make it to live.

Also, keep in mind that charming is high risk high reward and you're going to die, especially as a chanter without the safety net of FD or just selo-ing off into the sunset
  10. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Very interesting. Thank you.
  11. Trevalon Augur

I hope your not talking about my question about Idols and Enchanters as that was a fairly in depth min/max question. I have personally played multiple enchanters over multiple servers, so I am well aware of what enchanters are and how the play them.

And eventually the enchanter epic becomes quite easy, I did it during Luclin era on Vulak and it took a whole 6 hours from start to finish (it was actually the easiest and fastest one I did on Vulak out of all 8 of my characters). Sure, during Kunark some of the pieces MIGHT be hard to get, but come Velious/Luclin it becomes much easier and those are just 3-6 months after Kunark.

The only part that might be difficult is the prince head, but even then if your in a somewhat decent guild it wouldn't be hard (and the royals may end up being instanced content so...)
  12. Hinastorm86 Augur

Not to be confrontational, but why does people asking questions about something they are interested in and don't know much about, annoy you?

Your explanation in the next sentence does not seem like a good reason to be "annoyed".
  13. MBear Augur

Iyvy is always a little annoyed. The second sentence need not determine the first.
    ChucklingBoy likes this.
  14. Iyvy Augur

You complete me.
    Soltara likes this.
  15. Brunlin Augur

The racial ability..hide.. breaks charm, when successful. Invisible or invisible to specific creature type also breaks charm...there is a clicky that drops in LOIO when Kunark goes live...that gives invis to animals and is a instant cast (nice charm break when charming animals)
  16. Iyvy Augur

Hide takes too long, just use invis.