Charm break with invis is now Broken

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Nightmares, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Nightmares Augur

The ability to break charm with invis spells is now broken. This has many adverse effects.
    Many like the idea about running around invis with a charmed pet, thinking it would be an awesome idea.

Now here's the reality: Charms are unstable and will always be unstable. Charms last a finite amount of time and the timers are pretty short. Only Eddict of Command will last until it's timer runs out 100% of the time. most cases the charming class uses Tash, Malo, HoS(bard line), or combinations of which when available to help charm land and to help it stick.

What does this mean? Charm can break when a person is running around invis with a charmed mob, more than likely causing trains on themselves and their parties.
    To break charm you need to Dispell it currently ( due to it being broken) which has the effect of also removing any debuffs you had on the mob as well. So now instead of just invis to break then mez / mem blur / slow you might cast on the mob to deal with it, you now might have to re- tash, malo,hos. It's an extra step to extra 3 steps that will have to be implemented to deal with the simple situation, and if you have a group of mobs, now it's many times that.
    Also if you are reverse charm fighting, you just broke the ability to do that. you do not want to have to swap targets to dispell when you have a pack of mobs on you or your target, then try to charm a new one or do something similar.
    Basically this is a huge nerf for charming. This needs to be fixed immediately. ( It has broken enchanters and bards to a huge extent(other charming classes as well, but a lesser extent due to those classes being able to solo efficiently without charms). While these classes are still playable in the grp setting(though now even more limited in their roles), solo / molo has been disrupted a great deal.
  2. Caell Augur

Earlier last week I was experiencing this then later after the downtime from the guild issues, it was working again. I haven't checked since then, certainly needs to be corrected.
  3. Vance Vargson Lorekeeper

Dispell won't remove debuffs with counters. So tash with poison counters can not be dispelled; only by removing the poison counters can it be removed. Slow uses disease counters so those have to be removed. Malo can be dispelled since it has no counters. Mez and root can be dispelled too.
  4. Nightmares Augur

Malo can be removed , some slows can be removed as not all slows are countered(Bard slows have no counters)(and besides you would not be Slowing your pet)
    On the majority, spells that go to a charmed pet will be dispelled before the charm itself. and you can't mez or root your pet btw ( under charm it's a pet and no one can cast those on them).
    This is besides the point. the point is that it's broken and needs to be fixed. You would want rangers to have Archery fixed if tomorrow that was broken and they couldn't range. Or Rogues and Backstab, tanks and mitigation. Many classes can charm, and this affects all of them that can and do.
  5. karmalious Lorekeeper

OMG!

No way, I said!
    So, I logged in on my 92 bard and went up to try and charm something and upon clicking my "Goblin Ghazugi Ring"
    Found here: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1653

I even did a write up on the best way to get obtain it dated as recently as 2013.

But, now you made that item obsolete. You ruin the mechanics for charm kiting. Ugggh! And to think I just subsribed to all-access the other day to get a feel of the game that I love. why why why change this basic mechanic after 17 years?

Only the people who were really really good and had skills were able to pull off a 20 mob swarm with this ring/mechanic. Very few people even knew how to do it. Im just kind of upset....grrrrr.

You take away our AOE kiting.... You take away our charm kiting.....

Should I tell you about the J5 tank with mass AOE work-around? So you can nerf that too
  6. Gialana Augur

Is this possibly an issue with the item? I just tested on my enchanter by charming one of the waterlogged undead in Feerrott: The Dream. I used the level 105 charm, since it was already loaded. Both the AA invis and invis to undead broke the charm immediately.

I wish I could be more help.
  7. Diptera Augur

Not tested this, but does it make a difference if the mob can see invis? E.g. if the mob can already see invis, will charm still break?
  8. rorriana Elder

DBG has a big throbbing hard-on for shutting down and nerfing anything involving a player fighting more than just a few mobs at a time it seems.
  9. gotwar Gotcharms

This was brought up a month or so ago after the patch that broke it.

My personal conclusion is that this is a bug. My primary evidence to support this is that there seems to be no consistency in what mobs or variables contribute to invis working correctly to break charm. Caverns of Endless song HA mobs, for example, do not break charm when invis is cast. Mobs in Degmar do. Mobs in TBM do. Others don't. Can't seem to find a consistency in what does or doesn't work correctly.

And no, see invis/not see invis does not make a difference, and shouldn't anyway. There is a DGC issue tracker item for this "bug" that can be found here:

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-1113

Please follow this thread and post in the comments section. I have copypasta'd my comment from today below to help people provide accurate feedback and hopefully address what's going on here. You'll notice that the original issue tracker poster mentions "invis break" works on one of that players characters but not another. Maybe there is a buff issue at play here, or something character specific. There's really no way to know until more accurate data is provided for the devs to look at the issue.

Edit: Also! remember to click the "vote for this issue" button to get it additional attention :)

My comment is found below, and thanks for your time in addressing potential bugs, EQ community!

Would like to add to this and hopefully narrow down the issue.

Breaking charm with invis, hereafter referred to as "invis break" for shorthand, works on some mobs and for others it doesn't. I haven't tested this extensively, but it seems like in newer zones it's less prevalent. From anecdotal evidence it sounds like lower level zones it happens more often (unconfirmed).

Invis break does not work in Caverns of Endless song HA's on fish, for example, but does work in Degmar.

I have commented on this issue and linked this DGC issue tracker item in this thread to hopefully cross reference this issue and help get more information on what's going on:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...with-invis-is-now-broken.236244/#post-3479087
    If you have been lead here by that thread, please comment below with your experiences with invis breaks. Be sure to list the mob(s) you've attempted this on and whether this holds constant between different characters, as well as the method used to break invis and the spell casted for the initial charm.
    Nightmares likes this.
  10. Nightmares Augur

Still broken, counting on 4 bards and 23 chanters on my server that I know of. Fix this!
  11. Gialana Augur

I read a post yesterday that a dev had tracked down the issue. I can't find that thread now. It might have been in the beta forums. But it explains why some people have problems and others have never had the problem. The issue is with familiar buffs (or possibly the familiar itself. I can't remember). It bypasses some check for invisibility. The dev said he fixed this, so I expect it to be pushed live in the next patch.

Unfortunately, that means you'll need to go without your familiar buffs until the fix goes live in order to make invis break charm.