Char restore test already taking place

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ferry-Tunare, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Ferry-Tunare Augur

So a max-AA char with TDS raid loot had their account hacked today on Tunare. The password was changed and the email address on the account was attempted to be changed to pabuyplat@yahoo.com but that failed. After recovering the account my friend found his char missing. At this point we don't know if it was transferred to another account or to FV and then deleted. The only reason he knows about pabuyplat is that he received an email from DBG stating the request.

I guess we'll know if DBG restores accounts on hacking issues when they get to the petition.
    Imrahil, shik and Dramatime like this.
  2. Laronk Augur

If the character was moved to fv it shouldn't be returned. You can't just buy a transfer token and move to fv anymore you also need to petition. I see this happen all the time on fv where someone gets "hacked". Most cases of people getting transferd to fv and all their stuff being sold the account holder is in on it. Each piece of TDs raid gear is worth more than 10 krono here.

People's accounts don't get hacked their passwords get compromised whether it's from sharing their accounts with other people in the guild or from websites etc etc. When you have a few hundred dollars worth of gear on your account you need to be careful with who has your account info.
  3. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Account history shows they added a game card and purchased a server transfer.
  4. Ferry-Tunare Augur

The petition number from the account owner is 150307-000467
  5. Laronk Augur

Then it went to fv
  6. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

I agree people should be careful. But it is still possible to get hacked.

My Diablo 3 account was hacked 3 times in the first week the game came out. This is because I was using an old yahoo email address that I use for spam - one that is on dozens of email lists. This is a very unsafe email address to use - let me explain:

1. When you log in to this website, you can claim you've forgotten your station login name. To receive this, all you need to do is enter your email address.
    2. If the email address is associated with an account, you can attempt to log in 5+ times with false passwords (I just tried it). The account will not be notified of failed login attempts via a web browser like you are on the server select screen.
    3. Run a password generator until you get in.

The safest thing to do (and what I ended up doing with Diablo 3) is to use a unique email address that you don't use for anything else (keep this info safe), and use an authenticator.

Although some players may lack integrity in situations like these, it isn't for sure that there is no hacking involved. Especially since whoever is a victim is blamed on the forums and cannot receive help from CS. WTB character insurance.. :p
  7. SaderakhBertox Augur

Dang that's unfortunate. I checked how long it would take to use gpu-accelerated brute force to crack my passwords and I can safely say I'll be long dead and nothing but dust when they finally succeed.
  8. Numiko Augur

most password hacks are not from sharing accounts, it's from using the same password over and over all over the net.

people are creatures of habit and I bet the guy used the same password somewhere else less secure then the daybreak log in screen.

Message boards are the worse and very easy to hack into and get your passwords, guild boards, class boards general gaming boards etc... from there they just have to identify your account and give the stolen passwords a try.
  9. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Daybreak is stating the character was transferred to FV, deleted and that there is nothing they will do to help.
  10. Kellaer Augur

Post the petition transcript. If true, then riot, imo. That's unacceptable.
  11. Numiko Augur

Feel free to roll a new character! :rolleyes:
  12. Mediik Augur

If this is True Daybreak. It's horrible. REALLY REALLY Horrible.

How can we have any confidence or trust if you can't protect your paying customers? It's all digital bits that we spend years of time and money creating and it gets flushed away by someone like a thief in the night. Daybreak you need to take away these avenues thievery and setup systems to help your customers or you might as well just hang it up.
  13. Ferry-Tunare Augur

14. cygnet Journeyman

DBG should implement a policy before character transfers especially to FV server to get email authentication from the account approving it. This would have prevented this situation.

DBG should be able to roll the char back to Thurs and remove the transactions on FV related to it. You shouldn't be able to sell stolen goods. If some one comes to your house and steals your stuff then sells it. If it is recovered, then it goes back to the owner. Since it is not possible to sell what you don't own.

This appears to be a hack. A Game card was purchased and applied in order to afford the transfer to FV since there was insufficient SC to do that without adding a game card. They can see where that was purchased by the code on it.
    Vrinda and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  15. Domition New Member

This can not be true I have known people who have had this happen to them before, this is not the FIRST time something like this has happened. To make things worse to blast it on a forum that something cant be done is a complete lie. There have many characters that have been restored to a previous save point (system restore if you must) and the people who have done this to people have been traced and blacklisted.

As a paying customer he has legal rights to have some sort of investigation or system restore on Sonys part. It is not like he is a free-2-play or a Krono paying member..............This account was from someone who had a fully paid subscription and was hacked. Something needs to be done and I say that because I know that something has been done in the past.
    Elricvonclief, shik and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  16. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

Something needs to be done or this game will rot. Top tier raiders will be targeted and hacked to have the same thing done to them. I guarantee this wont be the last occurrence, basically an EQ chopshop.
    I know this person and he defiantly truthful and very very broke up over it.

Daybreak get out there and fix this or you may as well shut down the servers tomorrow!
    beryon and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  17. shik Elder

I anxiously wait for them to figure this terribleness out.
    This kind of policy wont stand. They need to restore Minishot's character and start cracking down on that industry. It shouldnt take too much time at all, so it's not even about cost. Track logs, ban hammer, restore to point for toon.
    They are likely to lose a really dedicated customer and MANY more if they don't
    beryon and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  18. lancelove Augur

Never ever share your password with anyone. Hell its in the Eula. No ones going to hack your account if you have a password no one knows so...hopefully your lesson will be a lesson for all!
  19. Kellaer Augur

"No ones going to hack your account if you have a password no one knows" is blatantly false and you know it. "Hacking" means they got it through another method than being a friend that knows someones password. This is such an intellectually dishonest thing to say.
  20. cygnet Journeyman

Adding a Station cash card to do the transfer is very visible in the account to DBG in order to accomplish the transfer and robbery.
    Vrinda and Ferry-Tunare like this.