Chanter help Please!

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Nickster86, May 30, 2015.

1. Nickster86 Elder

So i made a heroic chanter and literally carried him to 105 and have not done much with him and am now trying to actually learn how to play him and could really use some advice. This will be a group only toon. The group will consist of my mage, my bard, and the chanty, all of which are 105. I know enchanters can be dps machines and do crazy stuff I just need help getting there.
    First off my spells:
    Enticers unity
    Mindsunder
    Polyfractive assault
    Mindcleave ( These first 4 spells are multi bound for dpsing)
    Decree of Tash
    Undermining Helix
    Bewilder
    Chaotic Bewilderment
    Anodyne Stare
    Perilous Bafflement
    Twincast Aura
    Mana Reciprocation

I swap out the auras for haste and clarity when needing to buff. I have a couple dumb questions now. First do i need to be casting enticer unity? Its first in my multi bind but should I replace with with another nuke or dot? So far when a mob incamp i hit it with tash then helix. Am I supposed to be using dreary deeds?Do i want to use 2nd or 3rd spire? What self buffs do I want up? Is there a rune i need to be keeping up on the tank? In my group set up the tank is the mage earth pet and the bard is puller. Which mez will i want to use most for single target.With a bard and chanty in group i want to max the dps of my casters what do I want to do to achieve the most possible dps? After the mob is in camp do i want to chain my first 4 spells? How come so many chantys do not like to use dots? Why I seeing so many people not using the different chromatic spells like chromarift and such?I designated two hotbars for this toon so what would you recommend filling them with? And lastly just how useful is out pet?
  2. Xikteny Augur

I'm not really a chanter but what I usually have memmed is:
    1. Chaotic Bewildering - single target mez + twincast proc
    2. Mindsunder - nuke
    3. Mindcleave - nuke
    4. Polyrefractive Assault - nuke
    5. Perilous Bafflement - PBAoE mez
    6. Deadening Wave - AoE mez
    7. Dizzying Storm - stun
    8. Color Concourse - PBAoE stun
    9. Decree of Tashan - tash
    10. Demolished Consciousness - cripple
    11. Enticer's Unity - self unity rune
    12. Mana Reciprocation - aura
    Enchanters have a _large_ amount of other useful spells to be used situationally or according to personal preference (IE targetted AEs vs free-targets). This is just what my box enchanter usually has memmed.

My debuff social is:
    Ethereal Manipulation -> Tash -> Dreary Deeds -> Cripple

If you're able to dedicate enough focus to the chanter, you could skip Dreary Deeds for mez-generated Deep Sleep procs (DS procs both a slow and an accuracy debuff); whether from chaotic mez or (AA) stasis. Depending on the situation you're in at the time it may not really be worth debuffing to this extent when you could just use that time DPSing instead. You could also use unified slow/cripple (Helix) if you like.

Self buffs I keep up include: Ward, Unity (rune), Veil of Mindshadow, Shield of Fate, Shield of the Pellarus.

As far as runing other people/tanks/etc you do have several tools to do this; including standard runes, spell shielding runes, DoT shielding runes, runes that increase agro, runes that decrease agro, AA runes, rune auras, and even a nuke that procs runes on your target's target. These things are all situational, although some of them may be seldom really useful to you.

I just use Chaotic Bewildering as my primary single-target mez, although Bewilder has a slightly better duration.

Things I use in support of my wizard main's DPS include: Ethereal Manipulation, Illusions of Grandeur, Twincast Aura, Augmenting Aura, Mana Reciprocation aura/issuance/single-target versions, Chromatic Haze (generated via nuking or in activated AA form).

My personal DPS rotation is: chaotic mez -> Mind -> Mind. The third nuke is there to be used when burning under Improved Twincast. If you are using a pet to tank you will have to be sure to mez some other target and not the mob you are currently fighting.

I'm sure a real enchanter will chime in shortly!:)
    moogs and RPoo like this.
  3. Brohg Augur

at 105, my encbot has up

Tash
    Cripple
    Mindbiggest
    Mindsecondbiggest
    Chromo
    Unity
    (swapslot)
    ShieldofFate
    ManaReisurverberantate Aura
    TwinMez
    AEMez
    Group Rune

"debuffz" hotkey does Ethereal-tash-AAslow-cripple
  4. Ravengloome Augur

Chaos mez mindsunder mindcleave skip using assault unless using ITC.
    Swap out TC Aura (it lasts 72 minutes. Timer refreshes upon zoning) for charm after buffing with it.

I wouldn't even bother with Helix slow. Use the slow AA. Spire choice is situational.

Most of what an enchanter does outside of nuking is all about feel and adapting to situations (which most people suck at) hence why there are so few good chanters out there.
    Jordis and RPoo like this.
  5. Tyraxor Augur

Okay i guess some basic stuff is needed :)

Mixing Unity into a nuke multibind (good thing to use those) doesn't make much sense.
    It's a defensive spell or an agro tool, so has not much in common with nukes.
    Having Unity up is good, but it's only 1 cast needed until something destroys the runes.
    It generates a lot of agro, so many Chanters use it as a nice combo of drawing attention and also being protected.

To make good use of chaotic bewild. you usually have to switch targets (unless you solo), it's best explained for solo situations thou..imagine you have 1 mob you can mez and want to kill.
    You would pull it with tash, chaotic mez it, blast it with your 2 best nukes that will now have a guaranteed twincast, chaotic mez it again...and so on. It's more dps than using 3 nukes or any dots, and you take less hits. In a group situation you normally don't want to mez the mob everyone else is hitting...but you could put it on an add.

2nd spire doesn't regen much mana because it never was upgraded.
    3rd spire is usually better for some crits (but i don't know how much it helps these days...still better than 2nd thou).

There's no rune you want to keep up on the tank, unless your task is to chain rune against very hard hitting mobs (happens in raids). That Rune is Lucem.
    The best 2 group runes are Darkened Rune and Legion of Lucem (spellshield), those are useful as preparation for hard mobs.

Dreary Deeds is all you need against trash mobs.
    Helix slow can be good if you expect a boss type mob to last and cause problems, as it also adds cripple type debuffs.

So many Chantys don't use Dots much because our 2 top nukes are pretty good atm, if a mob dies faster than the dot could last there's no point.
    All Chantys love Mindstorm thou when in need for mana, the gain is *huge*.

Our pet can take some hits now, it's better than nothing but it doesn't really count as dps in a group.
    The other nukes are situational, Intellectual ap. is decent mana support for your group (remember 2nd spire? you could just use that nuke instead if your grp struggles with mana).

Overall there are a lot of things you can and should ignore until your get used to the basics.
    That includes all dots (but mindstorm if you need mana), all self defense except Enticer's Unity and Veil of Mindshadow (there's more but you just don't need it for a box toon yet), all mezes except single (chaotic if you like the twincast thing) and Stare for more mobs.
    And so on, like someone said already Chanter can be very situational but it's good to get used to the best things first.
    Motherlee and RPoo like this.
  6. moogs Augur

7. moogs Augur

I have two main hotkeys on my enchanter box. One assists main, sends pet, debuffs, slows, and casts the nuke that procs a rune on the tank. The other cycles through nukes. I keep the largest two "mind" nukes and the assault nuke loaded.

I use two long lasting auras (twincast and the mana regen one, enticer's something?) and then i change the /spellset so that it frees up those two spell gems. I only need to cast those auras once every few hours so there's no point leaving the spell gems used up for nothing.

Don't use DoTs on an enchanter unless they are for a specific utility. They aren't worth the spell gems.

The pet with AAs and mage gear is pretty tanky. I have used him to tank Gribble HA trash mobs for fun and he holds up great with a healer merc. Single account enchanters will tell you to forget about him and learn to charm instead and they are correct that this will be a huge improvement to the group's DPS. (The risk involved does not make this practical for me as a boxer.)
  8. Brohg Augur

NP mezzing mobs with a player tank on them. It knocks pets off the mob, annoying any nec/mag/bst around, but if you don't have those in group just go for it.

If you can't do that because a mage pet is tanking, that's what high level enchanters carry several Clockwork Automatons for :)
  9. Xikteny Augur

Indeed!
  10. Narknon Augur

Set an audio trigger for charm breaking and learn to charm gud. Enchanter doing 50k sustained in certain zones is kewl.
  11. Nickster86 Elder

So far I have had what I would describe as moderate success with the enchanter. The only runes I have on my spell bar are darkened and brimstone ( I sometimes bother to cast these, really I do not see a change in things when I cast them. My mage pet is the tank of the group so I figure brimstone can't hurt for more agro). I have eldritch and mind veil hotkeyed though rarely cast. People tell me how important stuns are but I have yet to find a situation where they help me out. The timer on the spell is longer then the stun duration so unless I have two chantys I do not think I will use them. The first thing I do when a mob comes into camp is get pet on the mob and then I malo with mage and tash it with mage spell tash. If I feel I need to slow I use helix. I am still unsure how dreary deeds is supposed to be equal. If it's a big fight I load cripple but idk how long that will be useful seeing how they release new level caps but do not upgrade the spell. Once I have landed the debuffs I then proceed to chain mind, old mind, poly assault. I do not use bewilderment due to pet tanking. Sometimes though I get an add that needs mez. I find that enchanter mez is less reliable then using my bard mez. I tash and Mali the mob so I am unsure why it's often resisted.I find it safer to use my bard AA dirge of the sleepwalker because it's more reliable. Can someone explain to me the different stasis AA. For auras I keep up twincast and mana reverberation. Mana tends to have a short duration so I keep that one loaded on the spell bar always. For burns I have : silent casting; calculated insanity, chromatic have, illusions of grandeur, robe click, and improved twincast. One last question what's a good clicky I can get my mage to safely break the enchanter mez on the off chance it landed. Thanks!
  12. Motherlee Augur

I can answer one question. Dreary Deeds is hardly ever resisted. Helix often is.
  13. Nickster86 Elder

It's not letting me edit my post to add things in so atm this is my spellset I tend to roll with:
    Brimstone resolution rk2
    Darkened Rune rk2 ( I macro'd this into my slow macro)
    Mana Reciprocation Aura rk 2
    Bewilder rk2
    Color Concourse rk 2
    Deadening Wave rk 2
    Decree of Tashan rk 2
    Anodyne Stare rk 2 ( rarely used)
    Undermining Helix rk 2
    Mindsunder rk 2
    Mindcleave rk 2
    Polyrefractive assault rk 2

The only buffs I bother to load are hastening of Prokev rk 2 and voice of precognition rk 2.
  14. RPoo Augur

Can someone explain to me the different stasis AA:
    Self stasis = You mez yourself (fade)
    Friendly stasis = You mez yourself OR a group member (fade)
    Stasis = Long duration (3 min) single target mez that works on mobs up tp lvl 73 - not very useful in the current group game but good for proc'ing deep sleep on named and raid targets that aren't mezzable. the refresh on this AA also makes it inefficient to use on mobs that it would actually mez.
    Nightmare stasis = Upgrade to stasis. Long duration (3 min) single target mez that works on mobs up to lvl 108 so it can be used on current group mobs that are flagged mezzable but the long refresh makes it unefficent. When a mob wakes up after being mezzed with this spell, it gets a nice debuff on it that "Decrease Movement Speed by 75%, Increase Melee Delay by 46%, Decrease AC by 1155"

what's a good clicky I can get my mage to safely break the enchanter mez on the off chance it landed:
    Gorilla wrangler's staff - does a tiny amount of damage so you won't get summoned or take agro but you have to be close to the mob, it has short range. Obtainable by doing Gorillas in the garden! No need to complete the mission, just get the staff and drop the mission, you get to keep it.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4276
  15. Xikteny Augur

Mages can summon several types of DD clickies, however the item Renaii mentioned is useful.

Another similar item is Delivery Facilitator (can't seem to make hyperlinks on this tablet; http://eq.magelo.com/item/100938 ) (this particular item has an area affect DD).
  16. Random_Enchanter Augur

Welcome to the enchanter class! First and foremost, don't be afraid to die, a LOT. Just learn what you screwed up with and fix the mistake.

a few notes here
    -Drop helix, use the AA for the slow. Use the cripple line if you need to. as your pet tanking i doubt you need to.
    -Use either Bewilder OR chaotic Bewilder. Having both up is just eating a spell slot and the 2-4 tick difference is nothing as you will be recasting chaotic long before it times out unless you have a lot of mobs in camp.
    -Load up Color concourse in the free spell slot. It with perilous when using correct timing will allow you to lock down an unlimited number of mobs. Remote works as well, its just not as nice.
    -As others have said if you are actively using Chaotic bewilder use only mind sunder and mind cleave with the Mez in between. If you are not, use mind scythe instead. The extra damage is worth it.
    -Have TC aura up then drop the spell for another aura. If you are active, use Amp aura and cast MR buff on you and your mage. If your lazy, just use MR aura. (Enchanters can have two auras up at any one time)
    Load dizzying storm in a free spell slot. It with color concourse and proper spell timing can perma stun lock any single mob. (bard auto attack engage!)

your asking them, there not dumb.
    you 'should' be keeping it up on yourself at all times. you don't need to recast it unless your taking damage
    its a matter of personal preference. Tash and AA slow is a lot faster so more use it. cripple line is mostly optional in group game as it does decrease to the mob's DPS (very small amount), and increases melee DPS.

3rd spire, last i heard and additional 7% crit rate is good.

Mana regen, clickies, unity runes, Sheilding, and a cool illusion.:p
    Typically no. if your in a group and your tank is having problems then use the non-regent consuming one (darkend auspice i think?), but stuns are more effective in my mind. Named you use mental contortion on, if your tank still has troubles, LOL at them unless its a raid named (then lol at the harder :rolleyes: )

Up to you, i use chaotic bewilder because the duration difference is meaningless to me in all but arx 1 raid.

Use bard songs that you would normally do. Use twincast aura, and amp (augmenting) aura and single cast MR buff on all casters. When Using AAs use IoG along with other aa's to make sure you get 100% critical rate and use the activated Haze while in IoG.

Answered above in the spells section

they are a lot less DPS than our nukes as we don't critical for 10 billion time the base damage like necros do. I know its not 10 billion, but it sure feels like it.
    That being said, the disempower dot (bewildering constriction) and the mana drain dot (mind storm) are useful in low mana and high mob damage situation.

They are inefficient. The two exceptions are the rune nuke (chromatic blink) and the mana return nuke (intellectual appropriation)

Hotkeys. Your burns (third spire, IOG etc), butt saving AAs etc.

Charmed or summoned?
    Charmed is very useful if you learn to control it. Proper use of a charmed pet results in tremendous killing speed.
    Summoned is well. . . I wish Eldroth would give use the AA to make our summoned pet suicide and do damage to everything and one around it. Then it would be worth a LOL or two.
  17. Endless Augur

Considering the usefulness of enchanters in other ways, I can't see them making the pet much better. I haven't played a mage in a long time and even then...I just boxed 'em, so no expert, but I don't remember my mage pets being able to taunt as well as the enchanter pet (also didn't have agro display back then). I have no doubt if something hit my enchanter, his pet will take agro...provided I move the enchanter away. I think that's all the enchanter pet is really for, just to go hard agro and allow the enchanter to step away.

However, I've let my enchanter pet tank trash in DH HA's and pet does fine (buffed and gigged out in summoned plate with brightedge weapons), which was more than I expected. I always just thought of it as an added DoT that cost nothing, but not only can it offtank (just trash?), it's also a great agro magnet. My main is a warrior and I watch the agro meter all the time. The pet is almost always way up there for agro on a mob at the beginning. I'm starting to take to taunting off the pet so whatever his hate level is, I get it +1, at the beginning, without using my combat abilities and burning endurance.
  18. silku Augur

The enchanter pet is a decent tank. It can handle small trash just fine, that's true. It's taunt though? It's aggro is pathetic. Even with the spell added on it, haste, and two magician summoned rage weapons.. he can't hold off even lightly nuking. So no, only will it take it off your enchanter if you aren't doing anything but debuffing.. If you're dpsing (and you should always be dpsing) then it won't hold aggro.
    Sancus likes this.
  19. moogs Augur

You may want to test this again. I sometimes use the enchanter pet to offtank in DH HAs and with a magician, druid and enchanter nuking at full non-burn capacity (all 3 have nuke chain hotkeys) there's no trouble with my pet holding aggro. I use the fire and wind magician summoned weapons and haste but no aggro modifier spells on it. I have all of the pet AAs spent so that may make a difference.
  20. Endless Augur

I don't really let the pet tank much. Just the times I pulled a few too many and pet decided to solo a mob...probably because it hit my enchanter. So I let it and it held agro off two caster mercs on burn. Granted, the pet was soloing the mob for a good 10% before I killed the other mobs and the caster mercs started nuking the mob the pet was on.

Now my point was, on engagement enchanter pet generates a good bit of agro. More than I do with my warrior. The pet doesn't keep that agro up for long, but it delays the mob running to my caster mercs over-nuking before I even start fighting on my warrior, so it really helps me. I'll quickly overtake the pet on agro, but for the first few seconds, enchanter pet usually has solid agro on the mob.