Channel announce key can't be turned off

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Herf, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Herf Augur

I use '[' to cycle through nearby bodies (cleric). I have that key bound in Options->keys, and it's white, not red, so there's no conflict. However '[' also is apparently bound to toggle announce messages when anyone enters or leaves the list of currently subscribed channels. Further, the announce feature is account wide, not character wide. So using the bound key to cycle through bodies doesn't work right.

It would be quite helpful if the announce feature could either be turned off (who uses it?), or, added to the list of key bindings so I can turn it off.

Thanks!
  2. Duder Augur

/announce off
  3. Nniki Augur

The problem he's having is that he bound '[' to cycle corpses, but '[', similar to '/' and ';', automatically open into the chat window because they're used for entering game commands. They should probably just be restricted from being bound for other purposes like '/' already is.

He's then, as far as I can tell, sending '[' as a chat command by hitting enter. When '[' is sent alone, it actually runs the /announce command (or ;announce or [announce since those characters work as aliases for the cross-game-chat-related commands). It'd be similar to binding '/' to cycle corpses and saying it keeps running the /who command (after an enter, of course) except '/' is already restricted from being bound, so it can't be done.

I'm guessing the announce command is the first command alphabetically that can be run with '[', so it runs that upon simply entering '[' since it doesn't have any other special purpose like how ';' outputs its usage and '/' outputs /who if run by itself.
    Herf and Duder like this.
  4. Duder Augur

Aha! I see!
  5. Herf Augur

Right.

I hit '[' to target local player corpses during a raid. And it will select one, BUT, it will also put the '[' in my chat window, which means my subsequent keystroke to rez the body gets put into chat, and doesn't rez

Then I have to hit the Enter key to reset, THEN I can do the rez. During a Time raid it gets really annoying.

I swear I never used to have this problem; is the channel announce a feature that came out later in an expansion? In any case, do we really need a command that toggles telling us when someone has entered or left any of our subscribed channels? Like General, or class-specific?
  6. Angahran Augur

What would be useful would be a listing of any/all 'hardcoded' key bindings.
    More useful would be to have all these 'hardcoded' keybindings moved to the options tab and no longer hardcoded.
    Herf likes this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

I've had similar trying to use the numberpad enter key as a push to talk key.
    It's unbound in my settings.
    But it still does the enter key things even when eq says it should do nothing.
    Herf likes this.