Changes with the February Update: Developer Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prathun, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Bloodclaws Journeyman

ya but the mages are really only gettin a lil slap on the hands an nothing more oh my unlimited hit spell now hits 12 woopdeedo
  2. Piestro Augur

The point of this thread isn't Heroic Characters. Until we have those finalized (or at least an initial plan finalized) we probably won't talk about them more.
  3. Garshok Augur

I think that part of it may be that the SK community

a) tried to discern it was that the developers were trying to do (not just scream 'OMG! Why are you doing this to us! You hate us!');

b) figured out how the developers could achieve their desired effect without crippling our capability in other areas;

c) calmly posted the alternative methods for achieving their desired effect, pointing out the unintended consequences of their originally proposed method.

I didn't follow the NTTB debate, but when the devs decide that they want to do something, the best options generally tend to be either a) providing a reasoned argument about why that may not be a good idea, and/or b) embracing the suck and figuring out they can achieve their goal with as little collateral damage as possible.

Got it, Battleaxe. It's not that you don't like SK's swarm-killing - it's that you don't like SKs, period. Or Pallies. Or likely the fact that Bards and Clerics can wear plate. Keep beating that drum.

Noinim, rants like the above may not the most helpful to your cause. <- Just my person opinion mind you.

Good luck on getting the NTTB decision reviewed and/or other capabilities to help replace what was lost. And I mean that - I don't feel any need to feel 'better' than our fellow tanks (though I will razz pallies), and I like warriors tanking on raids and all the other capabilities they bring to our guild.
  4. Piestro Augur

Some nice suggestions in here, thanks!
    Pirouette likes this.
  5. Piestro Augur

Something like that takes a lot of work and might not be worth reworking how all those windows work for the benefit it will provide. Still I'll forward on the suggestion.
  6. Axeion New Member

So this whole server lag thing. Did any dev stop an think maybe put those zones that have spikes onto a different server? I mean its just a thought. Adding new zones to old servers all the time does not seem to be a problem. Should not be a real problem to do just move them.

An hey why not make a Occupy AA server for those that want the free AA an levels an such. This way you keep the game fun for us vets an give away stuff to those who want "AA equality".Make the server transfer there the same as one month sub. This way you keep the vets an get that much needed cash boost with out making chicken nuggets out of the golden goose that is EQ.

Because right now 3 for sure in my guild will quit.Which is actually a loss of 5 accounts.
  7. tarquinnsk New Member

You've never seen a monk "swarm". You've seen a monk pull 20-30 mobs once in a while.
  8. Piestro Augur

Right now we're going to start upping the utility of the abilities. My guess is that we'll be a little conservative at first, just because it's a lot easier to give more gradually over time than to take things away. That make sense?
    Airowen, Fanra and Mintalie like this.
  9. Goat115 New Member

Yes, a lot have, but a lot more have not stayed and disagree. Just a numbers fact.
    Petts likes this.
  10. Augmentation New Member

This is not a bad idea regarding the 4000 AA grant. This way EQ developers can see how it works out and a free transfer could be allowed to the server like how the role playing server was when it had a very low population.
    Perspero likes this.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

Bolding mine - this is exactly what it does. By being automatically granted activated AA's in the 'class' tree players are missing the most important opportunities to gain class knowledge - prioritizing their AA investments.

This is compounded by daily tasks that take 5 minutes and provide substantial amounts of experience which encourage players to follow a spoonfed script for experience, log out and repeat.

Solution: Limit autogrant to passive AA's. For the first round of autogrants, further limit autogrant to the general tab only.
    Perspero, Mozzarella and Augmentation like this.
  12. Garshok Augur

So if they are joining the game at level 1, they will have already friends in the game at the same level? Or if rejoining old friends will want to start new toons to level up with them 'just as in the old days'? Or is some old friend going to be more likely to grit his teeth to try to PL him up to the point where he can at least not get flattened the instant he steps into new content?

If a guy is new, what guild is going to take him at level 1 and help him along? Show him all those wonderfully documented new features that have come out?

If you are so sure that the game is the same level 1-100 as it is 85-100, then please - start a new toon on a new server where you don't know anyone and start working your way up. Tell us in a month or two how much fun you've had.
  13. serverhelper Journeyman

Plz, don't tell me what I've seen. The bottom 3 floors all at once in Kurn's Tower. I don't know how many mobs that is, but it's far more then 20-30 mobs.
  14. Ronak Augur

I don't believe any rewards are required for those who 'did AA the hard way'. We gained those AA years ago, and we got to use their benefits for all those years since. Auto-granting AA to reduce the enormous mountain facing new/casual/returning/etc players is a good thing for the game. It does nothing to lessen the accomplishments of those who 'did AA the hard way'.

They can't just keep giving out rewards, titles, and candy bars any time they change some archaic thing about the game. Their time and resources are not infinite. I'd much rather they spend it on new content, going forward.
    Teranna, Reht, gcubed and 1 other person like this.
  15. Piestro Augur

You're right that they are exceptionally useful. However they're still going to be available, it's not like we are deleting them. Because they can be detrimental to some people, it's probably safer to remove them for the grant. It's a chunk of AA to purchase them, but a small chunk in the grand scheme of things.
    EightBitTony and Tweelis like this.
  16. Goat115 New Member

Don't worry they will, doesn't mean we or the way it appears most of us will not agree with this. Also doesn't mean as stated before the number in the end will probably go down, less money for eq.

I'm not leaving over this, but I do think it is a matter of time before I join the majority that has left over the years. I was in college when it came out in 99 so I waiting to start playing till out of college Dec 2001, I have been around a while.
  17. Stell_CT Elder

Agreed!
    Deloehne, dreama121 and Mintalie like this.
  18. Tweelis Augur

It seems some people are getting hung up on the sense of accomplishment when talking about this game. Others are saying they will not be able to judge new recruits if their server is flooded with a bunch of new people with next to no time played. If I may I'd like to have some of you read through a few things that I've noticed throughout my life.

The sense of accomplishment thing.....different people have different perceptions when it comes to what they feel concerning this. My early elementary aged son has never been a good reader but has mad skills when it comes to coming up with creative ways to solve various puzzles. He enjoys EQ for the puzzle aspect. However reading through the quest steps (especially some of the phonetic names) makes him struggle. When we did the quest from Akins in CR he struggled reading this line:
    But when he sounded everything out and comprehended what it meant he felt a sense of accomplishment. Getting the orge and completing the task was pretty meh. So when some people say stuff like there's no sense of accomplishment if somebody else is autogranted levels or aa's my response is .....meh, that's their reality.

To the recruitment officers, guild leaders and others in raiding guilds that are worried about not being able to see if somebody is a autogrant twink or a good player.....really? Do you not have a recruitment period where you evaluate people? A smart person is a smart person and will add value to your guild and raid regardless if they have 48 hours played or 200 days played. The opposite thing can be said about idiots. I use to group with a person with five level 100's, all toons have over 5k aa's. Sadly this idiot was in fact an idiot and couldn't play EQ with any measure of worth. The only reason they had this many AA's was because they are retired and can play 16+ hours a day. So in my opinion all of you that have the sky is falling mentality over this change I really think you need to take the blinders off and keep an open mind.
    Mintalie likes this.
  19. Finwe New Member

To rangers complaining about nerfing zerkers to change decapitation to work only on humanoids:

1) Are you sure you want to share your beloved and overdemanded humanoid camps with zerkers?

2) Then your assassination skills would be, by FAR, the best in-game. You have AE root, snare and that pusback + aggro reset abilities. You hit harder than zerkers with headshot and you can do it from far away without getting hit. You don't even need a merc healing you so apart from these advantages you would get more exp (unbalanced).

3) The change about extending the level of assassination to lvl 99 mobs (your lvl - 1) is actually going to benefit rangers the MOST the way game is right now. Zerkers and rogues have to tank in order to assassinate (they will get all aggro instantly). No zerker, neither rogue, is able to tank their lvl -1 mobs from lvl 80 and up (even with a healer merc, good gear and a nice amount of AA). In fact as a lvl 100 zerker, with rof-cotf group gear, having maxed all AAs, and having a T5 healer merc there is no way I can tank lvl 90+ mobs.

For all these classes it's going to be nice to be able to use assassinate skills on up to lvl - 1 mobs... but zerkers & rogues will only be able to do it in groups in most cases, rangers will be able to do it on their own.

Rangers are... ranged. Doing the same things others do from far away is already an advantage you tend to forget. I'd improve rogues so they can hit other non-humanoid targets rather than nerfing zerkers OR if you want to limit zerkers to humanoids then lower the damage of headshot to 1/2 of decapitation & assassinate in order to balance things... but you won't like this, right? LOL
    Quatreh likes this.
  20. Axeion New Member

If words had weight ,the irony of what you just said an what is proposed should weigh a ton.
    beryon likes this.