Changes with the February Update: Developer Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prathun, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Nein Lyves Lorekeeper

Yeah, I've also been of this opinion. And if it's true, the devs are going to come down REALLY hard the next time. I've been scanning the forums expecting to see this.
  2. airforce60 Journeyman

I don't see anything in forum rules about qualifications before commenting. Nobody tells me what I can, and cannot comment on! I will express my opinion! My opinion is that this beaming and swarming thing is way out of line, and should be totally eliminated!
    Velric likes this.
  3. Keeneyes Journeyman

Whoop-de-doo, you have an opinion! Who are you even replying to?
    There has been a lot of people theorizing that too many people with the auto-grant turned on are causing the problems. People having had loading time issues after the patch also reported better load times after clicking off the grant. I tend to believe this theory as seems to be the most sensible cause being tossed around. Whatever the cause, hopefully the devs have tested the issue and are working on a fix (maintenance patch tomorrow at 6AM PST is the first attenpt).
    Sinestra likes this.
  4. Brutus Journeyman

IMO, I think it is appalling that so many did not sympathize with those who already grinded out those auto-granted AAs. It would have cost you nothing to be in solidarity with the "veterans" on this. You could have been BOTH in favor of the auto grant AND support the "veterans". You would have still got your AAs that you needed, especially since soe was 99.9 percent in going forward with that.
    Velric, Mozzarella and poto like this.
  5. poto Elder

MMM now....

bleating little snipe inc from someone who doesn't understand coding or networking...

Computer code >>> NEVER <<< does random stuff... NEVER

You take a swipe at others on the forums about their 'lack' of knowledge then offer an example of your (a developer past on other code base) own inability ?

linked tables doing stuff they were never meant to do is down to poor design and / or poor understanding of the code - the developers fault NOT the code randomly deciding.
  6. Rogue Augur

SKs cannot land 654 melee attacks (either 1hander or 2hander) in 105 seconds without ripostes / bashes as you claim, and they can't even come close to that.
  7. Reincarnated Lorekeeper

TBH, I think you killed the ranger. Taking HS from around 8-10 procs a minute down to a mere 2 is kind of drastic IMO..

I started a ranger not just for HS but it was a fun detail of my decision to level a ranger. Now I will be making him a mule as the enjoyment is just not there anymore.

I really don't see why 3-4 proc's a minute for a "Group" geared character is so bad. Rangers weren't that popular before the HS skill, and I'm afraid they will go right back into that dormant state.
  8. Ancientvine New Member

I was headshotting yesterday for a few hours and I think the developers need to take a look at the proc formula again. It is certainly not 2 per minute for my 100 ranger with 12500 AA and most of the latest gear. It seems you have over done the adjustment. Certainly not worth using the bow for XP anymore. Was that the intent?
  9. Lerilon Lorekeeper

As somebody who's played a Ranger since May 2000, if you only found your Ranger fun because of headshot, not because of the dozens of other things we do, then yes, please park him. I personally love that I can HS dark blues, in a group, with focused arrows. I love that I can pull, get two adds and fluster them away. I love the wide variety of weapons we can use. I love that I can hit Bullseye disc, step back and let it rip. I could go on, but seriously, if you play any class for ONE of the abilities, you're missing out on all a class has to offer.
  10. a_cleric00 Lorekeeper

To be fair, computer code is (almost*) completely deterministic, so it doesn't do anything that actually "random." It does however have many many unintentional and unforeseen reactions to code that is large and complex.

*There is a very slight amount of randomness due to the fact that the actual hardware architecture is based on the physical principle of quantum tunneling, and when you get down to very small populations of electrons (ie, a population size that can no longer be treated in the thermodynamic limit), you can have actual random effects.
  11. Tearsin Rain Augur

true, and splitting hairs in a linguistic sense that is more accurate.
    however, in spirit, still hilarious.
  12. Geroblue Augur

Definately. Computers can do odd ball things, then they stop, and continue on normally.
  13. a_cleric00 Lorekeeper

Given my background (math and physics), random has a very specific meaning that isn't "splitting hairs in a linguistic sense," but is instead a precise way to describe something. I assume from his post that poto also has a precise definition. To illustrate this, imagine what ideas someone who is a carpenter has about joining two pieces of wood together. There are tons of different types of ways to make joints, but I (not being a carpenter) only know of one way, a miter joint. I then call all joints "miters" to the chagrin of anyone who knows better. Is it splitting hairs, or is it precise language? There are many types of processes that can cause complex behavior, but "random" is only one of them.

That being said, I understand the common use of the word and don't get worked up over what I perceive as "misuse" of it (it seems odd to me when people use random do describe something that simply has a difficult to understand logic pattern), whereas others with my sensibilities would react harshly to its misuse due to the lack of a shared understanding of the definition of the word.
  14. Tearsin Rain Augur

god i hope i don't come across as this much of a hoighty when i'm correcting other people for incorrect use of language or semantics...

FINE, you win, i duly and humbly retract my use of the term "randomly decidedly" and correct my unacceptably aberrant (and clearly the result of head injuries sustained as a neglected and unloved youth) terminology - please strike my shameful behavior from the record and replace it with "decided at what seemed to be random"
    happy now?

oh, and for the record, if you want to get really pedantic about it, technically speaking every single 'random' event is just a lack of understanding of the logic behind it - by the way you're trying to use the term 'random', the concept of 'random' doesn't actually exist so it's functionally a moot point anyways.
  15. Derryan New Member

I said something very similar a while back. Stop trying to squeeze every penny out of the player. Start making the game more fun and draw players into it.
    Me thinks that there are only a few people left who work on EQ and they don't have time to be creative. Too busy trying to make deadlines and fix mistakes from the previous patches.
  16. Garshok Augur

Odd – I wonder what the parse is trying to tell me when I take the number of hits with my weapon, subtract an adjusted number of ripostes, and get a number left over. Maybe your 95 alt with the 34 delay 1-hander isn’t necessarily representative of what a level 100 main with more AA, higher base stats and heroics, a faster weapon and using several discs and tribute can do? (Rng has a role as well. Hits were lower on the other parses; parses in the 400-500 hit range would be a lot more common.)

Likewise I wonder what sort of agenda you may have whinging about Mortal Coil expiring after 1320 incoming hits, when I parsed 2691 to 2849 hits parried, dodged, or riposted and another 800-100 misses swarming 70+ light blues. Considering that Mortal Coil residue is likely to proc within the first ten mobs, it looks like Mortal Coil and Lich Sting would expire about halfway through that swarm (worth 4AA at level 100), significantly reducing the incentive (slim as it already is) to swarm. The higher HP for mobs in UF and beyond only further decreases what could be pulled/killed in later zones. But hey, you seem so certain that 1320 isn't enough to stop zone-disrupting swarming.

No matter. Piestro has the parses and said he would forward them – I am sure that SOE will figure out what they mean.

While I think that a harder nerf to Mortal Coil alone would have been sufficient to get the desired effect, after more parsing last weekend I that think SOE got the counters for Lich Sing and the BPs about right for disincentiving swarming while not impacting group play and likely raid play – SOE’s stated goal with their nerfs.
  17. airforce60 Journeyman

Programs that do random things; NO! If you get what you think are random results; it just means you have not covered all of the possibilities. It does not matter what language you are using. A finite number of instructions produces a finite number of results. Macro or Micro; doesn't matter. Anything to do with electrons is hardware.
  18. eqrulz New Member

You guys really like to make things tough on the little people in the game. NOT ONLY do any headshot, decap, assassinate, etc proc no more than twice a minute, if you don't have a FULL SET of RAID GEAR, the abilities may NEVER PROC. I just took my level 100 ranger with T4 GROUP gear (dex around 1200) to Ethemere tainted west karana and with headshot maxed out and 12k AAs, headshot did not proc even ONCE in the five minutes or so it took to kill one of the few level 99 humanoids there. You guys need to drop that "heroic dex" requirement because, not only was this whole change group punishment in my opinion for the acts of a very few players (who, by virtue of the "RAID GEARED" clause are still least affected by the changes.) I, personally, don't have any toons that are "raid geared" but I DO have eight GOLD accounts that are at stake if something is not done to make this major change more equitable to the average player.
    Stillwafer likes this.
  19. Stillwafer New Member

I agree this round of nerfs does absoluely nothing but punish the small casual player or boxer who already steps aside for the big "raiders" when they want a zone, I myself just move on to another zone, after all its a big game. I think grouper abilities just got too close to raider abilities and they cried about it, and got us nerfed. every one knows SOE devs only listen to raiders, and I hate all the raiding crap, tried it but hated it. 4 gold accts now, just not sure if ill renew, I want to renew, but keep getting screwed, don't know.
  20. Roxxanna Augur

Just get rid of shining rampart, it's useless now. And as a compromise, why don't you beef up the vow line, more damage, bigger heals, more procs, throw the clerics a freggin bone please.