Changes with the February Update: Alternate Ability Grants for Gold Members and Ability Changes

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Piestro, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigstomp Augur

You got your use of the AA's. There is no need for compensation. Let others catch up and be useful in groups. Especially those classes that NEED them to function. It'd be great if group geared tanks didn't have to climb a mountain to outdo a merc.
  2. Narye Augur

Totally Against Auto granting AA's.

AA's show commitment to your character, commitment to learning to play your class well, learning how the different AA's work.

We all spent a lot of considered time, choosing which AA path to go down, and finally choosing what to buy, with a great deal of satisfaction when we achieved that goal and bought it.

Don't do it, your taking away one of the rewards we have left. Most everything has already been dumbed down :(
  3. Numdarya New Member

The free aa grant will NOT attaract new players to a "old, outdated" game as alot of new players call it. you will not retain it. Guess what they complain that it is too slow and hard to earn aa's now. SOE needs to revamp the aa's look at the cost of some of these aa's. Here is an idea as far as S.O.D. and below half or even quarter the ammount of aa's needed to buy those aa's or put them on a single aa increese to buy some of them for instance combat stablity and agility for every lvl make it the amount of aa's IE lvl 1 of it costs 1 aa lvl 2 2aa lvl 3 3 aa so on and so forth. dont just auto it you will make it "harder" and "slower" for them to earn the aas they want . You as a dev have no idea what they players want out of their toon. Guess what the toon is their "intlectual" property not yours so quit telling them how to play their toons, let them decide how they want to play them, after they do pay your paycheck and are in the end your "boss".
    If you all want a big influx of quick cash this is the way to do it. SOE will get a surge in gold subscriptions as all the folks who where silver or bronze goes to gold logs on there toons to get the free aa's then they will go back to siliver and or quit because the game got too easy and their is nothing left for them to do.

As far as swarming /shrug enjoyed it before i learned to swarm and would have post nerf but i DO NOT enjoy being slapped in the face agian by SOE to make the game "eaiser" for the i want it all, and i want it two seconds ago, then i will go on to the next newest, bigest, brightest thing crowd. Tbh this slap agian is making me rethink my subscriptions and if i go my hubby goes with me so it will be a $100 usd per mth loss for SOE. And if we are thinking about this and have been playing for many years I Know others are too well guess everquest will be a thing of the past a footnote in history that it spawned a whole genration of morg's
    Ramson and Dimencia like this.
  4. Myric227 New Member

I've been playing since 2000 off and on and welcome this change. It was always crazy to come back every couple of years and have that massive grind to catch up and be able to play. I've always thought that the general tab and archetype tab should be auto granted or done away with and just melded into your character. This is even better. My 95sk with 5200 something AA won't be jealous of new people not having to grind them out like I did. It's a game and being able to have my friends catch up and vice versa is a huge plus.
    menown and Qalliel like this.
  5. Ezio New Member

As a rogue I'd just like to say, decreasing proc rate of assassinate is silly since it relies on a backstab. If you want to prevent mass killing of mobs then remove the chance to assassinate from riposte backstabs instead of any backstab. That's how I have been swarming. Pull some mobs, hit counterattack disc, murder humanoids.
  6. Cyantune Journeyman

Your plan is 40 total which is a massive change. Part of the value of shining is that the tanks are healing themselves and stunning. This is HUGE agro... and encourages other mobs in the raid to visit them. The more visitors the more procs. Your version leave the tank high and dry after 40 procs which will they cascade into and now have less protection.

My version they get X procs every 6 seconds at maximum. Assume you have 5 counters every 6 seconds. On a single mob the rng would be basically impossible to use them. Two mobs would be unlikely to use them. Three would often use them up reducing the tanks ability. With 10 mobs the healing effect would be nearly useless compared to current versions. I hope you guys have the data and number to know if it should be 5, 3 or 2.
    Ramson likes this.
  7. menown Augur

Prideful in your AA count?
    Jealousy it sounds more like it. Someone who wants to catch up with their friends and pays to get not even halfway there is not going to ruin your pride. There will no longer be an AA curve for them and now the real grind begins.

If you want real pride in your character then there are other things to do in this game. Then again you are not even max AA either.
    Qalliel likes this.
  8. Naugrin Augur

Some of the nerfs seem a bit much, others seem fine. The auto granting aa doesn't bother me.
    Dalamyre likes this.
  9. Chikkin Augur

Since the devs are counting votes:

RE: AA Changes, Am not affected by the class nerfs.

To be very concise:

WOOHOO, I'm going to sub and create a bunch of toons and level them all to 50, so that I can enjoy the fun of the 'mega-dings' of certain levels. This is going to bring back certain numbers that people push to level too like the old days when people would level without sleep to get their next set of spells.

Level 54? Ugh! I MUST play another hour to get 55 and 100 more AA! Also this x10 at higher levels.

I think you're going to lose some hardcores, but all the people who arent posting here that when they hear about it will come check it out and possibly sub just so they can have some godly toons is going to make for a crazy 2-4 months of subs until the hype dies down again.

I'd like to believe you're not doing this to make money but, it's going to be make some for EQ1.

Also, these kinds of changes and post show me that you guys aren't writing off EQ1 anytime soon, which is a concern with EQN around the corner.

Lastly, Almar and the other 100 people who suggested similar things of just raising the AAXP bonus to ridiculous levels is just as good. You don't have to auto-grant so much.
  10. dundada3100 Elder

oh well making a new Pally and moving all my SK gear over to him for swarming and PLing purposes since they are actually getting a buff.
  11. Atrocitas New Member

When they're able to fire up the time machine and take me back to the point before I spent a bunch of SC on XP potions and countless hours grinding AAs so that I can now get them for zero dollars and zero effort when the next patch launches, it won't bother me.

That said, please re-read the section where I detailed that the only refund I'd be looking for is for the remainder of my subscription fees that won't be used if I leave; it clearly answers your first question.

Your getting a bunch of AAs for logging in doesn't bother me at all. I treat EQ like a single player game 90% of the time. I don't care what you have or what you're doing. But, if the new policy is now going to be "everyone gets a bunch of AAs because EQ should be less grindy", that's cool, but give it to everyone. I've already bought a lot of the AAs they're talking about giving out; compensate me.

If all characters aren't going to "share in the wealth", SOE has trivialized my advancement, the main reason I play EQ, and that's not cool with me. I'm not trying to win hearts and minds here. They wanted opinions, so I've given mine in a way that questions why anyone talking about cancelling their sub is seen as a nutter.

When advancement becomes something that happens because you paid your sub and logged on it needs to be to everyone's benefit or I'm done. I've seen a dev reply that alludes to the fact that this won't be possible. If that's the case, I hope it works out and EQ lasts another 15 years, but I'll be spending my money elsewhere.
  12. Torahdane New Member

I 100% agree with you. I have three accounts, all with over 365 days played on them over the span of 12+ years. They will all be deactivated and you will never see another dime from me SOE.

I did not play for years to have you just "give" that to people that never earned it for money. How is it you could not come up with a better idea? Like I dont know, maybe offering an item to accounts that have max levels or have been around for years the ability to boost new players exp by some crazy amount so that it would at least half to be half earned by the new player? Or allow EQ to let people mentor down to the new players level just like you can in EverQuest 2 and give a bonus for exp? Instead you take the easy brainless way out and just give everyone everything because you want money. Well from the thousands I have given you over the years (even when I wasn't even actively playing for a few years) you will never receive another dime from me knowing that you ruined my favorite game of all time.

SOE is the new Blizzard, the terrible company Blizzard has become, not the good Blizzard we all remember. You will now be another company I avoid at all costs. You shouldn't underestimate the amount of money you receive from veterans that have been still holding on after ten years - instead you need to evaluate why they have been holding on and not it up.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen can not come at a more needed time.
    Brad Mcquaid's (The Designer of EverQuest) new title, please back it on Kickstarter.
  13. Quatreh Elder

( 16 january 2013

so now they will no longer proc on riposte but when i asked because they doesn t proc on riposte early 2013 i was told it was normal, can some one explain this to me please ?
  14. Kamaul New Member

I am a returning player. Came back three weeks ago, after not playing since 2004. I don't expect to be given free AA points. I expect to earn them like everyone else. I have been getting about 45 AA per day doing Hot Zones and Quests, using 100% XP to AA's. Would I like to see some tweaks to allow me to Level and gain AA at 100% rate for XP? Sure, but I don't want it just handed to me for spending $17.99.

What I would really like is to be able to kill a LB/B mob in 30 seconds, rather than the 5 mins it takes now.

Kamaul -- Fennin Ro -- Formerly of Talons of Ferocity
  15. Tezzoro New Member

No, Test server heard about it today same as everyone else. We had no idea.
  16. Torahdane New Member

Hahah as if this affects you or your playing experience at all. This game has been around for 14 years, it has never affected you til just now? Sure bud. This is just there way of making it so everyone is on a level playing ground going forward when they hand over thousands of AA's for money. The only problem with their plan is people will not be sticking around, this game will die like the rest of their games did.

The new devs on this game don't understand what made this game amazing and why people still play it. But they will see the ramifications of their actions soon enough. The veterans are what fund this game, and the veterans are the ones that will leave it.
    Ramson likes this.
  17. Puligimist New Member

EQN is not quite around the corner so to speak its still in the process of being built which could take up to a year if not more ... jus sayin
  18. Havokk New Member

Really only swarming and Beaming needed to be addressed here, and that could be as simple as modifying how many mobs you can actively have aggro on you at one time before they reset.

Personally I think an SK should be able to solo say 10-15 mobs at once, but anything higher than that should simply tether back home. This would also help prevent massive trains for that matter.

Same goes for mages really. There are solo classes and grouping classes, it has always been this way. Leave them their play styles, we need diversity in this game, especially with how few people seem to play anymore.

The root of this problem is an unwillingness to fix game mechanics(or possibly they didn't consider simply setting an aggro limit?) and to instead focus on the "easy" fix which is to nerf the class instead.

I think in reality as far as assassinate/decap/HS, every class should have a similar ability really. Why shouldn't every class have an easy way to kill trivial mobs quickly? A level 100 warrior should be able to obliterate a 85 mob, period. He shouldn't need a merc to heal him to fight something 15 levels below him. Yes power leveling has been around since the beginning of the game, it will continue to be around and a level 100 should damn well be able to power his level 85 buddies.

I said this earlier and I will say it again, as far as AA's go, link them to achievements. Make people complete Planes of Power areas for AAs, the same goes for each expansion. It wouldn't be hard to say make a tally of the total number of AA's for each expansion and award AA's based on percentage of the expansion completed. There is an achievement system, utilize it! Just do this as an alternative method for people who enjoy questing etc instead of grinding. I realize this would allow higher levels to just do quests in easy zones for AAs, but who cares? It livens up dead zones and gives people more reason to quest and raid older content.(I also think these should be Account-wide, not character specific)

To reduce all of the AA's piling up, just start compressing them together and reducing the aa cost. For example lets say Combat stability is released with PoP, costing 3, 6 and 9 aa points for the first 3 levels. Every expansion reduce the cost of those skills by a certain amount, and when it hits 1 AA, start merging the levels together. This allows the grinders a way to get their basically obsolete AA's at a reasonable speed. Right now looking at the AA window, it is just a mess. Something needs to be done to clean it up.

Also in response to everyone whining about how they are going to cancel their accounts etc. Get real! I do agree giving away 4k+ AA's is ridiculous, but instead of whining how about offering solutions instead of complaints? They knew people would complain before they made this post. If they are smart they will take note of the intelligent responses here and make changes accordingly.

Please, offer your solutions instead of adding one more complaint to the dung heap!
    beryon, Zanmar, Atvar and 1 other person like this.
  19. Gemie_TZ New Member

Solution: Earned AA converted to Claimable Level Exp Potions

AAs that were earned before the patch that are being "overwritten" are converted into claimable NO DROP potions that grant level exp only (can not be used to get AAxp).

This will allow people who have invested the time to re-invest the exp leveling an alt, and enjoy the new AAxp changes.
    Aeonblade likes this.
  20. Puligimist New Member

true story! .. PR with Veteran players just went down the tubes!
    Kenton, Leeroy Jenkins and Ramson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.