Chances of new PC race? Or new Classes?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Foxpaws Dragonlover, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

It seems like the Drakkin have been around a while now. I'm curious if there is any talk/rumors of any new races being added to the game?
    Heck, EQ2 got Sarnak, which is awesome and I wish EQ1 had them too.
    Or what about classes? I wonder if that's even possible without breaking balance of things. Or a substantial amount of time needed to add class/epic quest lines.
    But realistically speaking, I know Darkpaw is a small team so their time and manpower is limited, but I haven't seen anything proposed besides new raid stuff.
    If anyone has any info of things that might be coming, I'd love to hear about it.
    Or even just discussion on race or classes you think could realistically be added by the Devs?
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Kerrans

Bring on the catfights.
  3. Alnitak Augur

No
    No
    No

For a gazillion meaningful, important, practical reasons - No.
  4. Sakuraba Augur

With the resources they have currently, I am sincerely doubtful.

What I would like is another poll to add a Class to a pre-existing race, I.E. Ogre Bards vs Troll Monks or something a bit hilarious like that. Consumes less resources.
  5. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

Iksar Druid XD
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

EQ2 got several races/classes.
    Froglok (2005)
    The Fae/Arasai (2006)
    Sarnak (2007)
    Freeblood (2010-2011)
    Beastlord (2011)
    Channeler (2013)
    Aerakyn (2014)
    Vah Shir (2020)

EQ did as well.
    Iksar (2000)
    Vah Shir (2001)
    Beastlord (2001)
    Guktan (2003)
    Berserker (2004)
    Drakkin (2006)

EQ has 16 races, 16 classes.

EQ2 has 21 (22) races, 26 (14) classes. 12 of the classes are divided into 2 unique forms, while the 2 later additions only have one typing.

VG had 19 races 15 classes

DPG has HEAVILY pushed back about adding new classes/races to EQ. Veteran forumgoers have also pushed back with some realistic reasons ( Character creation overhaul, model animations, etc..) and some absurdities (they'd have to make XX, YY, and ZZ, items and quests all the way to lvl 1.. which no one does the existing ones for the existing races/classes outside of epics.. sooo no?)

I don't see why they couldn't add some more.

They have blueprints for 3 healers:
    Channeler (range DPS + Pet)
    Bloodmage (Int DD + burst dmg, health sharing and recursive healing)
    Disciple (endurance-based heals through melee combat)

I'm not sure that another Melee DPS/Hybrid is needed.

There's always been a murmur about a Tank/Arcane caster Hybrid. to increase the tank lineup. There was early VG notes called Inquisitor, even a class NPC, but never made it to the game. EQ2 has monks in the tank lineup as well as berserkers. EQ Berserkers were supposed to play into that role but quickly got abandoned to a pure DPS role.

Adding races is really easy. New model, new animations, blah blah whatever for old world itemization.

Classes are much more delicate. They have to wedge them in with the existing classes. They can't overpower the class, but still need it to alluring enough and add enough tot he game as a whole, to justify all of the resources. There have to be abilities and AA's from level 1 to 120+ For several expansions, this means adding quests specifically for them, modifying some tables, etc..

That's a significantly larger undertaking as the game progresses. The only "shortcut" I could see for a new class, would be tying it to a heroic character. But then you'll hear all sorts of complaints about P2W, corporate greed, etc..
    Lujack Dhrakoth and Rijacki like this.
  7. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

Holy moly. 2006? I didn't realize the last Race/class addition is 17yrs old.
    Yeah, I guess there's little chance then. I suppose the Dev team is more focused on end-game content for expansions. Shame.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

New race at 23 years. Zero class specific gear until the 24th expansion in a game where so few play low level content.

23 years of attachment to played classes of people who don't wish to lose class distinct relevance, or be dusted by some new meta replacement, flavor of the month new with enhanced power creep to /nudge /nudge move players along like WoW does.

/cough

but these can jump jump fly....(and your class can't) said the WoW Demon Hunter as it flew past you.

------

also WTB a 14 year old TLP so I can play my [new class here]

You think Iksar lovers are nuts? ShhhWait...
    Sanduleak likes this.
  9. code-zero Augur

"Because it'd be funny" is a poor reason to create a new race/class combo or a new race or class. A brief chuckle at character creation isn't worth the time spent by a dev
    Sanduleak likes this.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

the more backdated legacy content that is unusable to new class warrants devs going back through 20 years of legacy content to revise items so new class can use them and more classes just nudges the game into indistinct roles and omniclasses.

The older the game is, the longer the slog to relevance is.

alliances matter also.

Vah Shir, Drakkin introductions were open to all. iksar introduction, other concessions were made for non evil race players / classes, other races were allowed new class options. A new class now would kinda require a level 1-relevant system like Serpent's Spine was, which is now hard baked into Hero's Journey.

Adding a new expansion to the hates me / loves my list is one thing. adding a new race backward into every faction in the game is exponentially more work. Factions matter in EQ eh?
  11. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

One way I suppose it could be done is treating a new class/race as a heroic option that can only be chosen after one of the toons on an acct has reached X level.
    FF14 handled it very well, adding later game classes without busting the old questlines or bothering to add epic/class quests for pre-expansion for them.
    WoW also did it for DKs, but uh, that class was busted as hell when it was current.
    It's challenging to add something like a new role that shakes up the standard.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

In all of history, Shamans have been human. Humans invented the bloody role.

Barbarian Paladins, because the Tribunal are judgementalism personified. Why did evil side get all the large race tanks?
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

EQ has tons of races, they are called illusions. :p
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

How do I turn into a dragon? Not a Wyvern, I have that.
    I mean like Vox, Naggy and Trax.
  15. Sakuraba Augur

Yeah that's kinda why the general Id is how it is now. Drakkin was the last new race addition, but the Expac came with content from level 1 to 75. A "Heroic Class" might be a good P2P addition though, and bring with it new content for 85 to 125/130 where ever we're going next cap wise. But that would still be a LOT of Dev resources -- might not be as big of an issue in a no-cap increase expansion but probably still going to run a lot of resources.

For class additions specifically, Berserker was the last. And well...we see how that is at times.

I do like the idea of EQ2's channeler specifically, though it'd have to work different here. Archery Healer with a Golem servant seems like too much packed into one character without a lot of tweaking.

But dreams are made to be crushed Underfoot. xD
  16. Sakuraba Augur

Oh geeze this is actually something I didn't think bothered me, but it actually does in retrospect. Human Shamans and Barb Pally specifically. I guess the side of good technically has Erudites and Dwarves for "Large Race" tanks even if neither are quite fitting of the Large descriptor lol.
  17. Iven the Lunatic

For that you have to cast illusion dev and then sneak into the daybreak HQ. A Qwalla costume might also work.
  18. code-zero Augur

That's not allowed in game except situationally at Guide events. The nearest you get is Drakkin
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Iven likes this.
  20. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

[IMG]

Aspect of the Brood