catcus dot overpowerd

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Vanrau Augur

Is your cleric able to cure Irritating Spines with their epic 2.0 or radiant cure or any of their curing AA's? I'm curious if it is actually curable.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

Unknown, I had a live cleric at the time and didn't ask. My cleric didn't get spines standing in the guild hall :)
  3. gotwar Gotcharms

[45476] Irritating Spines
    Target: Single
    Range: 1200'
    Resist: Unresistable
    Focusable: No
    Reflectable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 36s (6 ticks), Dispelable: No
    1: Decrease Current HP by 57777 per tick
    2: Decrease Current Mana v2 by 2000 per tick
    3: Cap HP at 90%
    4: Cap Mana at 90%
    Text: Irritating Spines

[Tue Dec 12 12:49:12 2017] You have taken 36400 damage from Irritating Spines by A thorny succulent's corpse
    [Tue Dec 12 12:49:18 2017] You have taken 36400 damage from Irritating Spines by A thorny succulent's corpse

57777 - 57777 * .37 = 36400 (ish)

Can lower this even further w/ spell runes etc.

It's punishing, but nothing a real healer couldn't handle. Even a single merc should be able to heal through that if you click some buttons (as the tank).

Honestly just avoid the cacti (cactuses? cactusi? cactopods?), no reason to kill them except for hunter achievements and a couple quests.
  4. Vanrau Augur

I'd try it out with my cleric but they ignore my tank merc and beat on me instead. o_O
  5. Tevik Augur

There was a patch this morning, so perhaps the shielding portion was fixed. Pretty sure it was hitting for more than that yesterday.
  6. Thrillho Augur

Those parses were from Dec 12, launch day.

Here are mine from yesterday. Only took the first cast from each fight to avoid repeating myself. The damage did repeat itself every 6 seconds, and remained the same amount each time.

[Wed Dec 13 14:04:06 2017] You have taken 36978 damage from Irritating Spines by A prickly succulent

[Wed Dec 13 15:47:01 2017] You have taken 36978 damage from Irritating Spines by A prickly succulent

[Wed Dec 13 15:55:47 2017] You have taken 36978 damage from Irritating Spines by A prickly succulent

[Wed Dec 13 15:58:12 2017] You have taken 36978 damage from Irritating Spines by A sickly succulent

[Wed Dec 13 16:01:02 2017] You have taken 36978 damage from Irritating Spines by A prickly succulent

[Wed Dec 13 16:23:08 2017] You have taken 36978 damage from Irritating Spines by A prickly succulent

Looks like the dot is in check and that it can be mitigated.
    gotwar likes this.
  7. Tevik Augur

Eh, that'll teach me to listen to posts on the forums ;)
  8. Thrillho Augur

And just for good measure, I just moloed one:

[Thu Dec 14 17:19:06 2017] You have taken 36978 damage from Irritating Spines by A needle-covered succulent
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Not if the alternative is a WAR pulling ;)
  10. Cleaver Augur

They have been adding annoying crap to mobs like this for awhile. This kind of crap is what makes it very obvious they're not playing the game they're creating content for. Do you think any of them have ever pulled in droga ? The spin stun will make you have a seizure after hours of dealing with it.
  11. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Not all do.

Some can and do, as they're running group geared ALTs for example, or haven't forgotten their grouping times.
    I'd sure appreciate it if you'd differentiate a bit more and generalize some less.

Yes, raid gear gives us an edge - a very large one even, depending on the class.
    But just as important, if not MORE important, are the general group-make up and above all zone/mob knowledge.
    A LOT of things appear absolutely horrible at first sight (Quasimodo) and then turn out to be not as bad after all...
    A lot of "bad things" can be mitigated by simply choosing another, perhaps less "obvious" pull/camp spot for example.
    Or, if you are having issues in OT, zone over to SF for example.
    Also a T1 zone, with it's own challenges and certainly not too box-friendly atm.
    But manageable if your puller (and as a WAR, that's usually me, i'm not even talking about "dedicated" pulling classes) knows what he's doing.
    It might help you and your group perhaps, if you'd take a SoS ROG into the zone first to scout+observe mobs and their pathing.

Provided we're talking not a complete fool and the healing char in question having some (i.e. autogrant +5k or more) AAs, anyone who'd also run 2healer mercs should get shot on sight.

Healer mercs on different stances also use/prefer different spells that they cast.
    Try it, observe it - filter the merc messages in their own window for better visibility perhaps.
    No explanation here can beat that personal experience.
  12. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Ok, there's a huge range of what "ready" can mean.
    But don't underestimate those "casuals" - some are pretty hardcore ;)

The difference between a raiding and a grouping char whose players have put in comparable "effort" into developing them, is still large. Not only in raw AC/HP/M/END, but mainly in heroics and derived attributes, (overcap)resists and foci. You know that, ofc.
    But i see group geared people in RoS just as much - "ready" or not, and their initial observations count too.

Back when OoW came out, i was in "bad gear" and the Bazu did me in, WoS was indeed slaughtering me+my group. But after some time, leveling up (and getting to know the zone/mob population better!) i camped the RSS queen area like anyone else. What happened though was that initially i was effectively "denied entry" into the "better zones" of the expansion on release, mostly due to my gear.
    And i can understand that this is putting ppl off.

So yes i think some of the initial outrage will subside over time, as people level up again. (it's a shame that things get "tuned" or tested mainly by people in new max-level gear instead of the old expansion's gear for the most part)
    But SOME observations (not necessarily this specific DoT thing, i cannot really comment on that) are already valid, and it's on the Dev's to decide if they intended this or not,
    (e.g. basically being unable to go afk and leave chars invis but otherwise unattended in SF for even just the time it might take to take a leak or the drakes AEing chars over and over from ranges where they're not even on xtar, let alone pullable/damageable by melee)
    SOME mechanics i bet also weren't properly "tested" during beta (for more than their immediate impact, i.e. long-term impact on XP groups) because people were most likely quickly unnerved and moved on.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I actually thought those fire auras that pop-up around you in skyfire was a neat mechanic, it didn't occur to me they were related to the drakes though? I thought they were supposed to be "lava-bubbles" or something(lava-squirts?). It added flavor to the zone, imo. :)
    The drakes being behind it, would explain why the bubbles always seemed to be near me, rather than just randomly scattered...
    Nasty afk-check though...:eek:

Lava-swimming actually hurts now, I always thought it was lame that lava was so painless in earlier zones...

I did think the numerous drake-adds were a little too much in some areas, but maybe I just haven't found the "safe-routes" yet. it seems to be mostly near the lava, that they become a problem.

It does looks like the succor-spot is safe, as well as the combine camp.
  14. Reval Augur

This is my favorite expansion.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

So. People are freaking out over a <60k a tick dot?

What did those people do, say, 2 expansions ago on named that had 140k dots? A merc can keep me up molo against that guy in crypt of decay (full disclosure, raid geared and paladin for self healing) (even killed it true solo before by burning it down, though was rough), and now we're 5 levels higher and 2 expansions later, and this is a problem?
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The difference is, that in this case it is an attack by a trashmob, and not a named where special attacks are expected.
    Through years of playing we have gotten this idea, that trashmobs aren't supposed to have special attacks, no matter how much it would have made sense.

Just pick any expansion and pull a castermob, chances are he will run to you and hit you with a stick, instead of just nuking you to death...:p

That cactus has leveled over 90 levels by killing adventures in OT, of course it would have learned a trick or two...:eek:
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

So these mobs need a war/pal/sk to tank?
  18. Tucoh Augur

Just did OT progression with my group-geared box team, people are overstating the difficulty IMO. I killed a handful of named and plenty of cacti, scorpions etc.

One big change I had to make was pull everything with the tank so he could get the DoTs casted on him. I can still semi-split using my bard's abilities after the warrior pulls.

Mobs doing a lot of their damage on their current target is actually preferable because they seem to not stack multiple DoTs, so I can tank multiples easily enough.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

What did you use for tank?
  20. Tucoh Augur

EoK grouped geared, level 106 warrior.
    IblisTheMage, Drogba and Bigstomp like this.