catcus dot overpowerd

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Dec 13, 2017.

1. matouoli Elder

ONCE AGAIN
    we need at least one zone to be aimed for casuals , " weaker " players , same for t1 raid .

I am a good player ( boxing ) and don't care much with the difficulty ( I am already level 110 ) , but I am pretty sure many might just quit EQ because because the difficulty is raised a lot , even in t1 zones. ( in ROS ) .

and that's not good with the player base we got in 2017 .
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I like the new expansion to be a challenge. But as Matouoli says, at least one zone in every expansion should be the "easy" zone. This gives everyone a chance to experience the new expansion.

Unless Daybreak wants to market Ring of Scale as, "Once you have totally completed Empires of Kunark and fully geared up and maxed out your AAs, then go buy Ring of Scale and play it with your five fully maxed friends", there needs to be a reason for "casual" "weaker" "group" players to buy it.

There is a vast, vast difference between experienced, skilled, raid geared players; and casual and/or group geared and/or boxed and/or mercenary dependent players. One group can roll through content like Arnold in Commando. The other group is stuck on Pork Chop Hill.
  3. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Skyfire is an "easy" zone, if you do not count the roaming adds (there are a few places safer than others).

Never forget that we're in the first few days still, and people are leveling up still, not to mention new AAs.
    TSS introduced snakes with a bad poison dot as well, and later these were killed like the rest.
  4. Vanrau Augur

Skyfire has lower level mobs in it than The Overthere. However with all the drakes overhead nuking invis and SoS rogues as well, sitting in one spot isn't an option for long unless you know where to go to avoid them.
  5. Natal Augur

You are pretty much missing the point dude. Regular content should be relatively easy and non annoying, not everything has to be a total challenge all the time.

EQ2 implements staggered content in a sensible way, and that approach should be applied to EQ as well. Challenging content is fine, but it should be limited to specific nameds (not all of them), specific zones which are designed to be for groups only, and things like instanced missions that can be tailored as mini-raids.

Making everything challenging by randomly including extremely annoying/difficult mechanics randomly in the general population of base level zones is poor design. Having to walk uphill backwards in the snow may be good for your personal ego but most people lose interest in doing that very quickly. The purpose of the game is to entertain people in general, not to provide you with an opportunity to personally strut your uberness. How uber and hardcore you are is of zero interest to everyone else. The rest of us just want to enjoy the game, not bow down before you on top of your personal tower.

Btw, splitting has been largely nerfed after the changes to fade abilities, so many of the classes that could do that in the past no longer have that ability. The only way to deal with those situations now is to off-tank adds or (if you have the capability and the mobs are susceptible) root/mez. That means that mobs with crazy abilities like these dots are potential group wipers, and that will happen frequently even with "trivial" content. When the PITA factor becomes too great, people will simply stop playing for the most part. Maybe that is the devs intention.
  6. fransisco Augur

Wow, way it ignore the issue.
    For those of us not in raid gear with a cleric box, a 60k dot on a exp trash mob is serious.
    If it gets cast one someone who isn't the tank, you have about a 70% chance of surviving the fight with 2 healer mercs in the group on reactive (assuming group is in t2 eok group gear).

There is a huge problem when those who are not raiders have a harder time fighting trash mobs than some of the named in the same zone.
  7. Vanrau Augur

That dot doesn't belong on t1 trash mobs. It belongs maybe on named in T2 zones or VP.
  8. Natal Augur

Lol....a 60k uncurable dot is a problem for everyone, raiders included.
  9. HeatherPurrs Augur

10. Vanrau Augur

There is no cure for Irritating Spines which is what this thread is about.
  11. HeatherPurrs Augur

Oops! Sorry! Didn't mean to try and help people with my knowledge of the game!
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not to mention that the first few posts indicated that the spell was ignoring DoT mitigation, which seems wrong. And ignoring DA/Invuln. With 35% DoT mitigation, a DoT would have to be a 96-97K DoT to do 60K, so it's like you're talking about a 96/97K DoT. Or is it common that some DoTs ignore DoT mitigation? This is the first one I've heard of.

Make $h!t as tough as you want, but play by the rules you set up. That would be fair.
    Jumbur likes this.
  13. Thrillho Augur

We're now in the 49th hour of the expansion being unlocked, and there has been a patch in there knocking out 5 hours (ish?) of that time. I don't understand how we're having this conversation already about difficulty. There is absolutely no way a "casual" is ready for this expansion in 48 hours, and calling for a nerf this soon is ridiculous.

I've killed plenty of cacti in Beta and in Live, solo, molo, and group, and never had an issue with their dot. Monks have mend and purify, so I might be a bit biased on survivability, but we also took a massive hit on HP, so maybe that'll even it out.

I spent several hours in OT yesterday xping and the only time I encountered a cactus was when I willingly pulled it. They're avoidable.
    Jumbur and IblisTheMage like this.
  14. Vanrau Augur

So you are saying Irritating Spines can be cured by a poison cure even though the spell is detrimental?
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

Would a monk pulling be an advantage?
  16. Bigstomp Augur

It didn't seem to be a problem yesterday and we killed a lot of cactus's hoping to spawn diseased ones.
    Considering the healer was meleeing and healing with contravention nukes it couldn't have been that big a deal to heal through.
  17. Vanrau Augur

What is your group make up? Is everyone in your group wearing EoK raid gear or group gear?
  18. Bigstomp Augur

Raid gear, but having healed both raid geared tanks and group geared tanks myself - there is not a huge difference provided they've bothered to actual go out and get gear. If the tank geared up doing gribbles obviously things go south fast.
    If a healer can keep me up while dpsing the whole time a healer not playing battle cleric should have no problem with a slightly lesser geared tank.
  19. fransisco Augur

My group is 100% group Eok T2 gear, and this is ROUGH
    People in raid gear TOTALLY underestimate everything, they do not realize how huge of an advantage they have.
    Plus, you are a raid geared cleric. If the group has a group tank and 2 healer mercs, it can be a crapshoot to win.
    How do they act differently if one is reactive and on beneficial?
  20. Bigstomp Augur

Warrior although I do play a cleric alt casually.