Casual Newbie LFGuild & Class

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Khalifa Kush, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Khalifa Kush Lorekeeper

I average maybe 5 hours a week (hah). I'm looking for a class that meets those needs. I know it'll take me 4 years before I hit 50+ but if anyone can shed some light on what I should play that'd be appreciated. Also I'm looking for a guild :) I have all sorts of voice chat programs installed. Vent / Teamspeak / Discord (my favorite).

My plan is to pick a class where I can still solo a little when I first log in along with a class that's needed so I'm not looking for a group too long. Since I don't play for long hours.

Cleric is out of the question since they're so incredibly boring.

At first I was thinking Bards are needed! always! but I really suck at twisting songs, or pulling. So I ruled that out.

Then I thought why not Mage/Necro? But I figured I may be LFG for awhile and if I do happen to hit 50, there's NO CHANCE in me getting my epic.

SO I'm thinking I'll go Shaman? Ogre? I can solo well, I'm needed in groups. Yada yada yada? Epic isn't too hard?
  2. Clive Journeyman

Bard + Melody and you don't have to be active at the keyboard most of the time.
  3. Khalifa Kush Lorekeeper

Yes but the difference between an active bard and an inactive bard is light and day.

I'd be asked to pull or mez targets and I stink at that.
  4. Ming Tee Augur

Ugh, another filthy casual...amiright Holly?

Ogre shaman for the win tho.
  5. Paralyze Journeyman

I respect you for that. We've got enough AFK melody bards and frankly it's disgusting to play like that.

Shaman is a good choice for what you want. Druids aren't picked in groups as much as shamans (slow FTW) but you do get the healer spot and their solo power is stronger. Their epic is also really easy and doesn't require raids.

Honestly though, there are so many grouping opportunities in Phinny you can play whatever class that interests you and still get groups. Just be proactive, go to the camp you want a group at and ask them for a spot, if they say no type /pick, go to the next pick (picks are instances of the same area to balance player load) and try again with that group. Or better yet, form your own group. Even a cleric will be LFG all day if they just silently sit in Nexus with an /lfg tag up.
  6. Eldrian Augur

Shaman is a good solo class and always useful for groups, I would suggest Troll over Ogre though just for the Innoruuk snare neck. With the play time you describe I would avoid Phinny server at all costs. At this point you will forever be behind and with the slow xp rate there you won't possibly catch up with 5 hours per week. Not bashing Phinny or doing any this server is better than that, it's just the plain truth.
  7. Khalifa Kush Lorekeeper

Phinny is the only server that brings the classic experience with also the population though.

If I go to Vox / Rage / Lockjaw I'll just be solo all the way to 50+ without seeing a soul or running into massive boxed groups that won't want to group with me...
  8. Mrjon3s Augur

I would go with an enchanter. Its a great class that you can solo with and are always welcome into groups.
  9. Illusory Augur

No matter your play style or time, I'd recommend (in order) Enchanter, Shaman or, Cleric.

I started in late September playing a few hours over the weekends and hit 60 at the end of November as a Chanter. If you start now you would probably hit 65 in 3-4 months if you play casually.
    • If you want insta groups play a Tank (or one of the above trio.)
    • If you want to play it safe, go with a Druid.
    • If you want minimal play while in groups, go with a Wizard.
    • If you're proactive in forming groups, you can pick any class really.
  10. Ming Tee Augur

Stun immunity > snare. Nothing like having 10 slowed mobs beating on you while you cast torper through all their bashes...laughing like a villain about to take over the world.
  11. Winga Journeyman

Most interrupts are not from bash. Moreover, most mobs blow bash immediately so packs that are pulled together tend to bash around the same time. Troll shamans get by just fine without frontal stun immunity. I rolled troll on my shm alt because I intend to race change to froglok and the regen helps on the way to 60 more than frontal stun immunity, IMO.

Necro and enchanter are ideal in this case because of charm. You + any priest class = fast exp. You + ok group = really fast exp. You + nobody = ok exp. If you pick necro, stick to leveling in the dungeons where you can charm undead.
  12. Ming Tee Augur

Getting stunned from a bash interrupts spell casting 100% of the time lol. And I'm sure troll barb frog cat all can get by just fine but stun immunity > all ...and I guess I'll put IMO too so it's impossible to be wrong. +3 regen is just about useless around lvl 40+...IMO.
  13. karmalious Lorekeeper

Hey, welcome to the game.

Bards are a wonderful class, but they are the absolute worst at soloing.
    re: swarm kiting was nerfed about 10 years ago.
    re: charm kiting was nerfed a month or 2 ago.
    Twisting songs is super easy these days by typing /melody # # # # # <-- the number of spell slot
    Pulling is something that needs to be mastered, whether your a bard or not.

4 hours a week is nothing for an MMO game. Hell, it could take you 30 minutes just to get there. As such, it sounds like you will probably be soloing (most of your time). In this case, Magician and Necromancer are the stand-out classes here, followed by a distant 3rd: Druid. (At least they didn't nerf quad kiting yet)

Shamans are a great-rounded class. They can solo and are a welcomed addition to most groups. Have you given much thought to a beastlord? They are like a shaman but get their spells a little later and they are a little less effective but beastlords can tank, can do some pretty good damage, and they have a good pet.