/cast upgrade idea

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SoroxDrinal, Jan 29, 2018.

1. SoroxDrinal Elder

Since we are limited to 5 lines macros in Everquest, I would love and would pay for an upgrade to /cast command as follows:

/cast 1 2 5

This would
    cast spell slot 1 if ready
    if slot 1 is not ready, cast slot 2
    if slot 2 is not ready, cast slot 5

This is only about having the spell gem refreshed in a given slot and the limit of 5 line macros in EQ.
  2. Nylrem Augur

Better would be to replicate /melody instead. What you are asking for can already be accomplished with multibinding, and up to 5 spells at a time, with regular social.

For those that want to cast spells in a certain order that DO refresh quicker than want to recast RE: DoTs, there is no good way to accomplish it.

For clarification: macros are not ‘good’ ... the /pause command is terrible, does not allow for lag, the /cast command doesn’t allow for fizzles, etc.
    niente likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

However, the one nice thing about the OP's proposal is, with multi-bind, you have to redefine the secondary key to activate a spell. Now, if I change spellsets, I may not want the spells grouped together the same way. With the proposed change, you can have different macros to group different groups of spells for each spellset, and not have to go into options to redefine secondary keys.

Also, /pause doesn't factor into it. OP is not suggesting to sequence the casts, he's saying, let it cast the first one that's not on cooldown. Once it casts one of the spells, then it's done.

Fizzles are fizzles, doesn't really affect this proposal. If you fizzle, gems refresh right away, just hit your macro key again.
  4. segap Augur

Then don't multibind the spell bar. Multibind a hotbar that has the spells assigned to it. Simply change the page on the hotbar when you change spell sets. You could even put a macro on each page of the hot bar that loads the correct spell set for the gems assigned to it. Flip page, click macro, new spells load, continue mashing.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's an amazingly creative idea. Thanks.
  6. noclue Elder

Could you please give an example of this (bold part).
    I didn't know you could make a macro to change spell sets, and I'd like to try your suggestion.
  7. SoroxDrinal Elder

Thanks Segap, that's a cool idea but not what I was proposing.

My alt shaman is set up as follows:
    1. hold "pet attack" on pet window until it becomes a key and place in hotbar/slot1
    2. hotbar/slot2 is a 5 line EQ macro which is
    /attack on
    /pause 10, /alt activate 3729
    /cast 1
    /pause 40, /cast 5
    /cast 6
    3. hotbar/slot3 is empty for shaman

I multibind numpad4 to all 3 keys above. When I press numpad4, it sends pet to attack target, attacks, casts slow, casts lion if up else casts group hot (shaman synergy), then pauses for gem refresh, then cast aoe heal (magnified by synergy).

But that's ALL I can do with a single key press. If I could combine /cast into a single line, I could do more actions or weave spells.

Now the reason I do this multibind is that on my bard, hotbar/slot3 is an instant click item so bard does a 5 line macro AND clicks his item from a single keypress of numpad4.

The 5 line limitation is horrible. So glad kick/etc was made auto activate which freed up some lines of macros on some toons, but with AAs, disciplines, and spells - 5 lines is not enough...

Having /cast 1 2 5 is far more powerful than what you proposed.
  8. segap Augur

9. Nylrem Augur

Eh?

Key 1:
    /pet attack
    /attack on
    /alt act xxx
    /cast xxx
    /cast yyy

Key 2:
    /cast zzz
    /alt act qqq
    /alt act uuu
    /cast ppp
    /useitem 32 18

Key 3:
    /cast ttt
    /potionbelt activate 5
    /doability 1
    /alt act www
    /potionbelt activate 4

Etc etc, as many keys like that as you’d care to create. You will have to work with the order of them, because some, for whatever reason, don’t play well with others, can cause it to hang up, recast timers not count down, etc...

Then, set all THOSE macros to the same key, and spam that key over and over, and each time any of those can activate, they will. The game already functions this way, and THAT is more powerful than your suggestion... That is a multibind. Multibind should never include /pause commands.

What the issue is, is when a spell becomes available for recast, but you don’t want to recast it yet, as soon as it’s available. Such as when it’s a dot or short buff that lasts longer than its recast timer. Currently, to cast spells like that, it takes using a macro, with /pause command, which stinks, and does not allow for momentary lag, spell fizzles, etc.

Or

Have to take up huge amounts of hotbar space putting a single spell per button, or clicking manually (yuck).
  10. Angahran Augur

What would be useful would be if the /cast would include a /pause so we don't have to keep tweaking our macros to get the perfect pause.
    Having an option to recast on failure would be awesome :p

e.g. current macro:
    /pause x,/cast 1
    /pause y,/cast 2
    /pause z,/cast 3

new macro:
    /cast 1
    /cast 2 retry
    /cast 3

This would cast spell 1, wait until you could cast again, cast 2 and keep recasting until it was sucessful (it wouldn't recast on a resist, just an interrupt or fizzle), then cast 3.
  11. SoroxDrinal Elder

Thanks Nylrem. I have tried this MANY times but it doesn't work.
    I created 3 buttons
    h1
    /attack on

h2
    /pet attack

h3
    /alt activate 3729

I multibind all 3 keys to NUMPAD4
    When I press NUMPAD4, only h1 fires.
    If I remove h1 key from the hotbar, only h2 fires
    If I remove h1 and h2 from hotbar, h3 fires.
    I tried this on a single hotbar and 3 different hotbars. Same result and it did not work.
  12. SoroxDrinal Elder

you cannot multibind multiple 5 line EQ hot button macros

You can multibind the following:
    pet attack (only if you make it a standalone key by holding down on the pet window
    pet swarm (only if you make it a standalone key by holding down on the pet window
    instant item clicky
    instant cast AA
    disciplines if you create standalone key
    single 5 line macro hotbutton

but you cannot launch 2 or more hot buttons at once.

Wish attack key was not a toggle, wish it would do /attack on type behavior - would save me a line in my macro
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There's NO reason those three things can't be on the same macro. I've done it many times. They don't depend on each other, and they don't have mutual cooldowns.

Try it again, and if it doesn't work, come back with details of what happens, and we can debug the issue.
  14. SoroxDrinal Elder

I went into the game and tested the h1/h2/h3 scenario before writing my last response.
    I know it doesn't make sense, but my client will NOT multibind multiple 5 line macro buttons.
    I actually tested the above scenario before coming here to post. Those 3 buttons are 3 socials with a single line of text in each. Only 1 will fire if you multibind that...

I tried default UI, my custom UI, windowed mode, full screen mode, 3 buttons on 1 hotbar, 1 button on 3 hotbars, only one 5 line social macro button fired.... Ever...
  15. Zamiam Augur

of course its only gonna fire the one social..
    Multibinds are for spell casts with cooldowns and disiplines or AA that have cooldowns that way the mulitbind will go to the next castable/useable whatever that is not on cooldown.. when you try to use a social macro (3 of them) and they have no cooldowns the multibind is gonna continue to go to the first social..
    for socials that have no cooldown unfortunately all you can do is make a social w/pauses and click each one .. usually that is only 1 or 2 is suffecient with the 5 lines per social .. hope ive been of some help..

Segap had a clever idea and a link to a great informative how to on useful comands thx segap
    i'll link a few myself they may or may not be of use .. but worth checking them out
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:macros
    http://www.zlizeq.com/Game_Mechanics-Macros
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/macro-101.27806/
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Of course, I wasn't saying that would work. I'm actually not surprised it doesn't.

I was saying the three items from your example (attack on, pet attack, and an AA) could all go on one macro, without any issues.

For the other example, firing off three different socials with the same hotkey, what happens when you hit the hotkey three times? Perhaps that will get all three to activate.
  17. Zamiam Augur

also there is a good post here about use items for clicky not only stuff your wearing but items in your bag inventory slots no matter where they are.. you dont have to open up your bags to click or right click item to make it a single hotkey on a hotbar .. you can make a social w/pauses and do 5 clickies at a time nice when its time to rebuff or if you want your epic and a few other clickies to go off at once..
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/useitem-command-for-click-buffs.200214/
    the whole post is worth reading but the 10th one down is nice explains most of it..
  18. SoroxDrinal Elder

Drop me a line in game and I will explain my 6 box setup. The point was to get more dps/healing/etc from each toon without introducing huge delays while alt-tabbing 6 clients.

You can not fire 2 AA standalone hotkeys from a multibind, seems to require about 50 mS delay
    You can not fire multiple socials from a multibind, 1 sec delay (maybe less if all lines are instant, I will test now)
    You can not fire standalone AA and social from multibind.
  19. Zamiam Augur

why box 6 toons ? 3 with 3 mercs is much easier and really all thats needed .. if you have to you can go 4 and 2 mercs but 6 eh .. lota work there