Can't create character.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Clyve, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Mithra Augur

"The server is not responding"
  2. Lagerale Journeyman

Darn them extra 12 people!
  3. Ootax Augur

Ha, you wish!
  4. nazgull2k1 Elder

We could LITERALLY say the *exact* same thing to you..

its a 20 year old game, and you put a launch window into what could only be described as "We learned absolutely nothing in 20 years" launch window...

and then talk to us about "bumps."

/eyeroll
    Ishbu likes this.
  5. Soulweavin New Member

nothing sums up better the "we don't care about our customers, just accept it" mentality
    Fastlane and Ajjantis like this.
  6. ArrMonk Journeyman

After 20 years of experiencing this, why not create a simple queue. "You are x waiting in line to create a character..." This way, you can see how long and it doesn't overload the servers....
  7. Korzu111 Elder

I can understand them. They’re not going to drop $10,000 on new servers and capabilities for handling logins. My business wouldn’t either. Just give it a little bit of time.
    Fastlane likes this.
  8. 540Degree_Circles New Member

I'm not sure what to land on here. Everyone knew this would be a problem. Implementing any sort of real solution would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

We choose to play a super old game that is the definition of "legacy software." We have to just accept it.

Though I could go without the hyperbole of a "million" people trying to log in. I'd be amazed if it was more than 10 thousand.
  9. ArrMonk Journeyman

They don't need to drop $10k on new servers, just have one of their coders spend a day working on a queue system for character creation. Coding, debugging, and testing. Could have been implemented in the last patch.... That way, you don't have to spend 2 hours trying to log in before it lets you with the servers overloaded the entire time, you just sit in queue...
  10. Kahna Augur

Seriously, this same thing would have happened regardless of what time they launched it. Really people, how many times have we done this in the past few years? Why on earth would they dump a ton of money into a problem that will fix itself in a day or two. You all should know what to expect on launch day.
  11. Ilshade Augur

Ya but when we do log in and get create character screen it doesn't allow us to create a character can this be addressed ?

error message "all account and character bonus etc......
  12. Torvius Journeyman

Exactly....
  13. Undustas Lorekeeper

Jokes on you i dont have friends!!
  14. EQ_Scotty Journeyman

I thought the same thing. I still tried to get in but I closed my laptop the moment I got the error.
  15. Ishbu Augur

Have you seen the average population at 4am? Have you experienced a server launch at that time?
    Torvius likes this.
  16. Old Ratty New Member

Login logjams and server crashes are an integral part of the nostalgic experience. Imagine the complaints if you could just log straight in and play! I know I'd be asking for my money back.

I just made a character on EQ2's new Kaladim server, which came up at the same time, and there was no queue and no lag and no crashes. Poor saps!
  17. korwil New Member

It's nowhere close to being that simple. I'm willing to hazard a guess that there isn't a single programmer at Daybreak who worked on creating or maintaining the original codebase when it was still being actively developed. If you've never stared at a big mass of someone else's code, it can be extremely difficult. They may be doing things or relying on libraries that went out of vogue literally twenty years ago. You don't just have one guy go back and change what is most likely a very fundamental system developed by a multitude of people. He's going to break something and, being the only person working on it, he's probably not going to know how to fix it.
  18. Ilshade Augur

also what is going on with the you already have a character logged into the world messages
  19. JBizzle Journeyman

Same I cannot create a character.
  20. Ilshade Augur

i think a good announcement would have been everything will take about 10-15 minutes for the complete log in process to work soooo sloow