Cant advance past server select screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Necreta, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Necreta New Member

Hello all,

As someone who has been playing since 2000 I was usually up to date with all the issues and solutions but I haven't played in 4 years and trying to login I am not able to get past the server select screen. I have searched everywhere trying to figure out if it is a firewall or client based issue and could use some help to determine the issue. I have disabled the AV and firewall on my Windows 10 system but wondering if my Unifi gateway is somehow not passing NAT ports correctly. I have no problem logging in, patching and getting to the server select screen but once I hit "Play Everquest" it freezes and after a few seconds the Launcher goes away and it will just sit there indefinitely. I have checked the dbg.txt and the last entry is:

[Sat Dec 12 01:33:15 2020]00006:INI file ./eqlsUIConfig.ini loaded.
    What i really need is a network application that does port checks to make sure it can communicate with the Everquest servers as expected but I've asked for that for 20 years and nada so does anyone have suggestions on how to get more debug information as to if it is a packet not going out or is it a packet being stopped at the router?
    Thanks
  2. Necreta New Member

As for hardware;

Msi GS63VR 7 which has the Nvidia 1060
    Nvidia driver 460.79 (I know version has caused issues in the past)

Windows 10 home version 1903 but 20H2 will be patched soon
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sounds to me like you need direct x 9c.

While direct x 12 or whatever is in windows 10 it does not go backwards to 9c which is what eq needs. Lack of 9c can cause freezing screens and other graphic issues.

You may have to do a manual install if it give you and issues with downloading like win 10 trying to override it but try just the normal install first. It will not hurt anything

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
  4. Necreta New Member

I just found my backup from 2017 and it appears that it is a communication issue with the server as the successful log looks like:

[Sat Mar 18 23:25:04 2017]00005:INI file ./eqlsUIConfig.ini loaded.
    [Sat Mar 18 23:25:45 2017]00019:Server selected eqworld-11.everquest.com (5158883000).
  5. Necreta New Member

I did the directx 9 as I was thinking that also. I vaguely remember having to put a DLL in the everquest directory back with windows 7 but I thought there was an error when that wasn't right.
  6. Necreta New Member

ok I went down that rabbit hole and redid the directx 9c and ran dxsetup as administrator. It still locks up.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

What county are you in?
    And are you on Bristlebane
  8. Necreta New Member

US Colorado. I connect to Povar usually but also have toons on Bertox. I have tried several of the servers and none seem to work including test