Cannot uninstall game

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by magikot, Feb 5, 2019.

1. magikot New Member

I am cleaning out space on my HDD since my SSD has a copy of the game and running into a problem. I don't understand why EQ shows twice in my installed apps in Windows 10, but each time I try to uninstall one I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error saying that the application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. The program in \AppData\Local\Temp\Uninstaller-####.exe is causing the fault and the #### change each time I try to uninstall.

How do I uninstall the game from a disk drive I'm not using it on anymore?
  2. Buri Augur

You could just use file explorer, find the directory that contains the copy you don't want, and delete it. Not as good as uninstalling, but if you're just looking for HD space, it should do the trick.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That is normal. To uninstall EQ you just delete the EQ folder, done. Nothing else needs to be done. That is empty and is not taking up any space. The microsoft runtime error is very very common on many games. However if you wanted to google your error and then put "everquest" at the end you will find many posts about this.
  4. xxGriff Augur

You can use an app like CCleaner to remove the doubled entry under "installed programs" and the use the same app to clean registry entries after deleting any double dir/files. Personally, I have had to change how EQ is installed in Win 10, as the method of using \User\Games and such have caused me issues. I just install c:\Everquest and make my own shortcuts to avoid this. as to MS Visual C++, you can use the error code generated to find a fix, or you can dl the Runtime and run the package to repair your installation. Keep in mind that if you have x64 version of windows 7/8 or 10, you may need to get the 32 bit version as well as x64, as its not always OS, but the application (EQ is def 32 bit) that requires a file to be repaired or if corrupted, replaced.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

You can (and should) look into this yourself, but do not use CCleaner anymore.

To remove EQ it is generally enough to just find and delete the folder+subfolders its installed into. Just make sure not to nuke the copy (on your SSD) that you want to keep :) (and unless you installed it first onto your hard disk, then installed it again on your SSD, you might only have the copy on your SSD still installed (hence the uninstall error, it can't find the file it needs to run to begin the process).
  6. Talladar New Member

The problem is I have 2 Everquest entries in my apps and features That I can not remove. I have tried deleteing the app manually as you have instructed. The Game is gone.. But the entry in my programs and features will not go away.
  7. Sarkaukar Augur

To remove a program reference viewable in the Add/Remove Programs tool:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. Locate the following key:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    4. Locate the key to be deleted by locating the key name created by the program. If the name of the key is not apparent, browse through each key and note the value for DisplayName. This is the viewable string in the Add/Remove Programs tool. (use Cntrl F at the top of the UNINSTALL section and type in Everquest) Pay attention to install location since you would have two entries.
    5. Using the Registry menu, export the selected registry key to make a backup. Store the .reg file in a safe location in case you need to import it at a later date.
    6. Delete the selected registry key and its values. Do not delete the entire Uninstall key.
    7. Quit Registry Editor.
    8. Verify that the reference in the Add/Remove Programs tool is no longer visible.
  8. Topfrog420 New Member

Thank you so happy i found this post