canceling 4 accounts if one of the 2 new tlp dosent remove truebox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by mark, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Geoff Journeyman

Do i was going to be a and just say TLDR, but this guy gets it. read that whole post.
  2. Hypnotix00 New Member

I don't mind Truebox, but the code really needs to be fixed. Nothing drives me crazier than when I try to line up ideal aDPS and my PCs both crash. There goes my parse.

Yes, yes, I know that I can "delay" hitting buttons by about 3 seconds to avoid this, but my brain doesn't work that way. Must maximize. If you play a monk or some other braindead class that doesn't require actively using abilities every GCD, this probably doesn't apply to you.
  3. Elyani Augur

I basically agree with EVERYTHING Warzone said. Spot on. And every new TrueBox TLP has been full of boxers and what has it done to them? Nothing? You still get everything you want. Boxing hasn't hurt the servers at all.

These servers, being TrueBox, are the most TOXIC servers I've ever played on since I began playing EQ back in 2001. Even back during PoP era when the top guilds were blocking 2nd/3rd/4th ranked guilds from getting into Elementals and PoTime, it was less toxic and nasty than these servers are. So stop blaming boxers for problems. TBH, I've met probably 1-2 boxers that were nasty or terrible people in-game. The nastiest people I've ever met have never boxed a day in their life. While the most helpful and and generous people I've met box 6+ chars.

As a person present for the first Vox kill, I can say there was more than one mage at that first kill (most people were /anon). However, there was not just an army of mages. It was, however, a major zerg fest. It wasn't thanks to boxing nor mages. It was thanks to a zerg of people not even max level. :) But the majority of the people present were not mages.

It takes no effort or time to convert a server to True Box. Don't kid yourself. However, if they did convert the live servers, they'd all die off. More than half of their player base would stop playing when they lost their bots.
  4. Elyani Augur

It's even funnier for those of us who have multiple people playing on the same IP and we cause each other to CTD while raiding. HAH
  5. Stagentti Augur

Honest question - what is this statement based on?
  6. Elyani Augur

A basic understanding of the server implementation and database.
    Koshk likes this.
  7. Stagentti Augur

K.
  8. Darktide Elder

Sounds like the anti-boxers have a severe case of jealousy to me. I personally box so I can do something immediately with a competent player(myself). I recognize, and I can't help this, my frequent AFKing, due to RL, would not be fair to my group. Removing myself from that situation is the only fair thing to do, while still being able to play and enjoy the game at my pace.

Are the boxer haters upset because boxers have a group and you can't get one? They won't let you join? If the boxers aren't there, you still won't get a group.

Truebox "boxing"... same thing happens, just to a lesser extent. Those who have several computers still make it happen. You won't get around this.

A boxer will look at your request and may think, I don't get a lot of time to play, and need to focus on myself, and I have all these toons to get stuff for, sorry. Logging in to play EQ and not be able to find a group is a problem, and that is why people box. The same problem you guys are probably experiencing.

What do boxers take away from the game? Ignore the fact that they aren't letting you leech xp while booting one of their toons that they also pay for.

Know what I can see as a problem? Nothing but boxers camping all the loot in open world. I think the number of players in a zone required to create a second instance should be lowered.
  9. Rotlust Augur

My five friends and I will cancel our accounts if one is. (not really, but it's easy to say something silly like this)

Seriously, single machine boxing absolutely ruined TLPs, just play on live or make some friends.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  10. Pizazz New Member

Bye, don't let the door hit you in the on your way out!!
  11. Darktide Elder

How does boxing ruin TLPs? Where's the examples.
  12. Elyani Augur

I think the entire thing almost solely stems from mage boxes on Ragefire/Lockjaw. They screwed up and didn't fix a problem from the get-go and it bunched up everyone's panties.

The funniest part is, true box didn't stop boxing. Yet, people seem to think or act like it made some major difference on these servers. It clearly didn't. People still box and will continue to. And the boxing obviously hasn't made a dent large enough to make people against boxing join new true box servers. So I just don't see the issue behind True Box being removed.

If I wanted a mage army, I could still have a mage army (how boring though), true box or not. Last server I had 2 laptops, my pc and a windows tablet on my desk, took no effort at all to manage the characters. A mage army would have been even easier than what my group comp actually was. LOL
  13. Darktide Elder

Hasn't that been solved? I haven't seen mass mage boxing since MOTM
  14. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I don't think anyone has ever worried about a 2 box to 6 box group in EQ's TLP history.
    What worries people is everyone that goes crazy beyond that.

On Phinny I encountered a handful of folks beyond 6 up to around 12 through classic - luclin
    On Agnaar I saw roughly the same

On RF and LJ I couldn't go a single play session without running into quite a handful of 12 to 24 boxers.
    No one wants to join that idea period, even with /picks and AOCs.
    Rotlust likes this.
  15. Rotlust Augur

This.

Nobody has a problem with small groups using a few machines. The only reason anyone wants truebox off, is because they want a massive army on their one machine controlled by a third party program. Truebox servers stay healthy longer for a reason. Clearly they've seen the optics and there is a reason they continue to push truebox code.
    Genoane likes this.
  16. Elyani Augur

People were still using "help" on Agnarr! VP key, anyone? And the only reasons they don't use is because the developers of that "help" program don't patch for TLP servers. But if you could use the "help", boxing on 6-10-20 computers wouldn't be any different than a single computer. It's not having a single computer that makes those programs usable, it's the program itself.

If you're against having "help", then sure, I am all with you there, 100%. But against boxing on a single computer for any other reason? Meh - silly talk. From boxing on both a single computer and multiple computers, neither of which I used "help" to do, I can tell you there are strong differences, both good and bad for both.

I prefer a single computer for multiple reasons, it's less work and less confusing when alt-tab cycling through (for me personally) for starters. I think the only thing I've liked about boxing on multiple computers was seeing every character all the time and less memory used on a single computer.
  17. Warzon Elder

MotM was implemented because of whining. Specifically, people who were not at the kills who were told by people who lost the DPS race that the reason for the loss was the other side had a huge box army. The top guilds on both servers were the top guilds specifically because they had lots of members willing to respond to batphones 24/7. The way a DPS race works, the 72-man force with the most dps in it wins.

But after every contested fight, you'd see a dozen posts from people talking about the mage army that was ruining the game. At the time MotM went in, the two biggest boxers in Faceless had less than twelve mages between them, both were boxing 18 characters at the time. It was a month or two before most members even had their 6-box crew up and running. There was plenty of time, so it's not like there was a need to rush.

There were about forty mains that each had one or two mage alts, because mage is just a really really easy class to get a lot out of with no gear, minimal spells. It was always a popular class for box groups, same as a tank or healer. MotM was so poorly tuned, so horrific in its outcomes, that some of the bosses buffed by that were no longer killable through conventional means, they had to be petwalled. The original incarnation of MotM, Faceless has the only kill of bee that wasn't petwalled on either server while that was in force. And it wasn't worth it, which is why subsequent kills we just petwalled it. The huge irony of MotM is that it changed petwalling from something that guilds like faceless looked at with abject contempt, to just an accepted fact of certain encounters, done begrudgingly. Nobody enjoyed that, but it wasn't our fault it was like that. It was people whining on the boards that had no idea what they were talking about.

Those encounters in the first few weeks were the way they were, and they felt the way they felt, because there were so many people there, frequently over 200 real live people, about 100 Faceless, and another 100 from the other two guilds joined up to compete with us. That's 100 Faceless mains mind you, that guild was huge, not because there were so many boxes. Faceless was fielding 72 main DPS in an unscheduled raid at 4 a.m. The massive box armies started after the introduction of MotM, because now the encounters were legit too hard for most guilds to take them down, whereas any idiot with twelve mages could easily kill them. It wasn't until, felt like YEARS later, when they finally made MotM mobs ignore pets and just summon and kill the mages that petwalling declined, but by then the damage had been done. And the hundred-or-so halfmeasures had so nerfed pets that mage/necro are the rarest classes on those servers by far.

The final iteration of MotM in classic was so colossally stupid, that literally every melee had to go retool their weapon selection to find the biggest damage bonus they could, because the most you could get out of the base damage of the weapon was a hit for 2. Level 50 monks with BiS regularly putting out 20 base damage per combat round. And what you saw happen was entirely predictable, because the unarmed monk damage bonus was high enough, that a bare fist level 50 monk was winning parses.

I was in Faceless at the time, and we immediately saw 6/12/18 box groups running around leveling up, hoping to cheese the new mechanics so they could beat us, but as a top guild willing to do whatever is needed to win, we just all rolled up monks as well, and within a week there was a DPS race in sky between something like 200 naked level 50 monks. All of which got abandoned a few hours later when the patch reverted MotM to the still-terrible but not quite as a bad version.

Lockjaw and Ragefire got stupid, it's true. But it is as much because of people whining about box armies as anything box armies actually did. And NOTHING DBG did about it improved the situation, except changing the rules from "first in force" to "dps race". Those of us who were there for the kills, we had fun, and we beat the encounters, because that's what we do. We do it on truebox, we do it on non-truebox, we do it on live, we do it on test, we do it everywhere. You don't, because there's always some excuse about how someone else kept you from doing it.

Until the AoC. The AoC instancing eliminated you being able to use the excuse of the box army for why you weren't there at the kill. It allowed you to keep this fiction alive that "if only it weren't for those pesky boxers, I'd have been there." It was three in the morning, after a nine hour poopsock. You have jobs. You have responsibilities. You weren't there because ONLY CRAZY PEOPLE were there.

It had nothing to do with boxers.
  18. TLPman Augur

BYE !!!! LOL
  19. The Hated One Augur

No true box
    AoC's
    This server would be very busy. Just make a 3rd server and see what the volume of players are like. It would roflstomp the other 2 in accounts played. It would be your new FV. Make the unlocks 2-3 months.

This would change nothing for mangler or selos. No one should be able to complain. If anything it would pull the "evil" boxers off those servers so the true boxers would be even more happy. Boxers are customers too. I also call BS that Brad didnt box. All Dev's box...i bet they all do to test content. Boxing has always ...ALWAYS been part of EQ. We paying customers only ask for equal consideration.
  20. Aurastrider Augur

I am going to breed baby kittens just so I can drop them off in a box at my local grocery store which will obviously upset Bob Barker unless daybreak does not cave into my demands darn it. The US government might not cave into terrorist demands but DBG most certainly will cave into all of mine unless they want the cat population in the greater San Diego area to go up over the next 10 years. Now where are those sorry cat picture posts to bring my demands home darn it. Lets flood them with the consequences of not meeting our demands with pictures of orphan kittens in a box. Also get Bob onto the forums so he can take one last final stand before breaking a hip and let DBG know just how serious an uncontrolled cat population is.