can we please fix the mystery lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kissia, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Kissia New Member

im not sure what you did to the servers but over the last 3 weeks the game has become unplayable. even with my logs turned off i still experience major lag on events i never once lagged previously. and no im not playing on a peice of crap, i have a highend custom machine that will play any mmo out there it SHOULD NOT be lagging in Eq.
    Brontus likes this.
  2. Owl56 Elder

I was four boxing on a ten year old, 1st Gen i7 yesterday with no lag. If you are see lag with your machine, I am suggesting is it not server side.
  3. Horyuken Augur

It's it probably not a hardware issue if your computer is from 2012 and beyond. People think bc they have a insane machine they can configure it as poorly as they want and it will still work fine. I would check for virus scanners or people on your network seeding torrents.
  4. Tucoh Augur

5. YourNameHere Lorekeeper

I had major lag on Freeport side over the Easter weekend but not on the Qeynos side.

Seems to have calmed down since then for me.
  6. Febb Augur

You can have a super computer and the game would still bring it to its knees if you have certain things configured wrong. This is due to the ancient game engine.
  7. Funk Augur

It seems like this has something to do with the new faction messages, with highlighted links for each individual faction hit on every kill.

I'm probably wrong but that addition seemed completely redundant, we already had faction messages and now they are more complex and pulling more resources.
  8. Kissia New Member

it has nothing to do with my system, i have not changed a single thing on my machine in months. i have been in maeratas raid over 100 times and never once had lag until last night. the only place it happens is maeratas amd GMM raids. nowhere else and never before, i regularly 3box and never have lag. this is something daybreak has done just recently. must have something to do with the necros keeping mobs buff blocked.... more dots = more lag
  9. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You guys are being "Windowned". A recent Windows Update has made it so Windows Defender will scan every line of text EQ is throwing in your EQ Log files. Simply tell the virus that is Windows Defender to stop scanning your EQ folder. Presto! No lag.
  10. Buri Augur

Another thing you can try is deleting your log file. (or move it under a different name if you want to save it) I've heard this works wonders in some cases.
    Jhenna_BB and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  11. feeltheburn Augur

this
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Winnowyl like this.
  12. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

that
    feeltheburn and Winnowyl like this.
  13. Fluid Augur

I read through the thread, didn't see this mentioned. I could be the only one or it is not generally known. I should bug it to DB.

On my machine the game keeps leaving behind ~'DayBreakGamelauncher' or something close to that. I mean I logout and shut down EQ, it is still there. I start a new instance and fail to connect, the launcher is still there. I think I've had as many as three zombie versions of the launcher running which ground my computer to a halt doing anything and particularly boxing EQ.

Reboot to get rid of the backlogs of zombie programs. What I like to do is <CTRL><ALT><DELETE> to get to task manager and look at what is running. Don't 'end program' for apps like EQ but if you find any of those launchers, kill them. They use up CPU load and memory almost as much as EQ.
  14. Yimin Augur

All this lag came with those chat tabs for many people ...

YIMin
  15. Khat_Nip Meow

CTRL-SHIFT-ESC is slightly more efficient.

/Just saying.
    Fluid and Tucoh like this.
  16. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

That ghost has been left behind for me for months. Sometimes I get a failure to connect to the patcher until I clear out the ghosts. Once I do that, I connect fine. It seems to be unrelated to the lag.

Making an exception in my virus scanner for the logs fixed my lag.
  17. Pappasalt Augur

Lag is coming from the log file since the recent patch. They upped the range on spells being recorded to the log file and now with log file on it lags hard. So my suggestion is just turning it off till they figure out what they messed up...so about 12 weeks or so.
  18. Febb Augur

The issue and the solution is pointed out above. This is a Microsoft Windows issue and not a EQ issue.
  19. Shanarias Augur

Right. I have Windows Defender in inactive mode, so that dog just won't hunt. I am going to find the log for the ONE CHARACTER that has lag, and see if I can resolve the issue.
  20. Shanarias Augur

On ONE character, I am getting an entry in the log that every time I zone, there is a failure to allocate indices. This results in a temporary "lock" where everything is frozen, somewhere between 15 seconds and two minutes.