Can we haz nice things (Prison server) please ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Phoebes, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Reval Augur

Honestly the prison server should be a progression server. Make them have to get to 50, kill nagafen, and he drops 3 passes off the server every time instead of other loot.
    skattabrainz and Fallfyres like this.
  2. code-zero Augur

I think that people are being willfully stupid and failing to realize that when an account is banned that they just make a new account and are soon up to their old tricks. A prison server would have the bad actors still able to log in with the same characters that they'd already developed resulting in a much lower chance that they'll make a new account and continue disruptions.

Heh, make it Firiona Vie rules and they'd be happy to stay there
  3. Syrup Augur

Sounds like an RMTers dream.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Eriadoc Elder

What the hell is RMT? I keep seeing reference to it. Thanks.
  5. sojero One hit wonder

Real Money Transaction
    Eriadoc and Motherlee like this.
  6. Mayfaire Augur

I'm sort of with Reval, here. About a month ago a guildy had an alt suspended for 7 days. Anyone who knows this player, and I have for almost 4 years, knows there is no way in the world he would ever use the unmentioned programs. One, because he is terrified of losing his toon and Two, because he is extremely challenged when it comes to computers, something he openly admits. He is so afraid of getting his prize main toon in trouble that for years he didn't even want to use a parser, concerned that SOE would have a problem with his doing so.

So, long story longer - when that happened it showed me that DBG does not have the right tools to find the real cheaters. Ergo, methinks a lot of innocent people would end up on the Prison server, and a lot of not-so-innocent people would still be running around on the other servers.

Just my 2 coppahs. :cool:
  7. Jetboy Lorekeeper

Just use the Zek server, it's pretty much there already! :cool:
  8. Jyve Augur

And anyone who gets banned on forums moved there in game too.
    Beimeith likes this.
  9. Zarzac Augur

[IMG]

Will the whole server look like this?
  10. Styles Journeyman

Had that happen to me a few times in Dota 2 as well, but all it does is put you in a low priority match, which is identical a pub match game anyways. Since Dota 2 is free to play game, I don't think they ban you, I've never heard of anyone getting banned. Valve just puts you in low priority games as far as I've heard.
  11. Endless Augur

Come hell or high water, if I were banned to a "prison server" and told I have no right to customer service, than I would not pay any of MY money. Everquest is just a game. If the company that runs it chooses to disrespect me, I will not pay them for this treatment.

I'm an old dog playing the same game I have always played. If you think you are going to force a new game on me, you're out of you're mind.
  12. rune00 Augur

I like the idea of a prison server but not for life that's just too cruel, people change over time, I've done some stupid things in eq 10 years ago that would probably warrant a prison server, but been good the last 10 years... Maybe 6 months or something like that depending on the circumstances...

I don't know if this is true but there have been people who have reported they where recently banned for speedhacks and then all of a sudden we see patch note with mentions of "superspeed" being fixed... Would such a person be pardoned if it's clear he was the victim of a client bug and not something he did?

Something to think about... I'm not sure I'd be willing to sacrifice a few innocent people for the good of the game...
    Garshok and Motherlee like this.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I'm not sure how to take this... I would never do anything worthy of a ban/exile...but I like Tom Hanks so I'm conflicted.

Besides it wouldn't help, my magical nerf powers are limitless.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Silv like this.
  14. Fallfyres Augur

----------------
    How Fecking Sad if thats true.

Bring on the Prison Server; in this case I just opted to be elitist. Make that THEIR neighborhood...I'd be just fine with it. Get some simple parameters/rules published and then make it effective. Yea, I'd enjoy a smaller community that is like-minded as opposed to having that other *50% population making me rub elbows with them.
  15. Reval Augur

Well, I didn't mean it as an insult, but I wanted some way to shed the reality to you and others that the world isn't perfect, and when you try things that are cruel like this, they often backfire. There are a few key points to it all, and I guess satire doesn't always work, so I'll just lay it out there.

-The article says they have GM's or Guides deciding who gets put on this prison server. So what happens when a Guide is corrupt? So what, once you're on the prison server, you can't get any customer service, how would you fight this? Oh that's right you'd post on the forums.... oh wait...

-This server has a lifetime commitment in game to it? Come on. Look at every prison system in the world. How many are like that? Some "crimes" (in a video game no less) aren't sensible for a life sentence.

I remember the one time I ever got a warning in game. I was in a group in Kunark, and sure there was a tank, Merzal, lfg, but overthere had this area where you could fear mobs near the skyfire ramp, and everyone in the only group I could get in said that that's what we were doing. Every other group would say "hey can we have haste?.. can I get clarity? and then after buffs ... sorry we're full" Many visibly had 4-5 people, but others were coming. So instead of not having a group, I joined them and pulled mobs that they feared into the ramp, and killed with dots and melee from a rogue. I was a teenager at the time. I didn't even know it was something that was bad enough to warn someone for. The group told me that the policy was 'if it was in the game, you're allowed to do it', and at the time I accepted this. So what? Because I did something a bit risque, should I have been banned for life to the prison server?

-The goal is to keep subs, so what happens when this server is created? A mass banishment wave, of course. Nothing ever goes wrong in those. I mean the goal is still 100% justice right? There's no grey line?

-Every person that has posted here practically has a bloodlust towards this. "Yeah kick em from the forums" "yeah take their whole family out" "yeah make sure there's no drops" " yeah make the game basically unplayable for these losers" "yeah and then add in sentinel npc's from the x-men that are just unstoppable and murder everyone" "yeah and make it graphically so all the players are in cages just to remind them every day" "yeah and give them mandatory gear that lowers their stats" "yeah and have gm's only come in or other people for fun just to taunt them".... Guys this is mob mentality. It's never healthy. This is a video game. I know there are bad people in the game, but the goal of any punishment should be to correct the action, so that we can have a better society. You could do punishments that manage that a lot more. like:

*suspend someone from general chat for a month on every char on their account(s) if they are disruptive.
    *if someone hacks, and you know it, but are afraid to lose the sub money (which based on responses I've gotten to petitions I'm guessing is the case), make the color of their names mandatorily black, or another color to signify that they are hackers. These could last say 6 months after the person was shown to hack (longer if they continue) and be on every char that person is proven to own. If it's as pervasive an issue as some people say, let society sort it out. I don't want to group with a hacker. I don't want to be guilded with a hacker. I don't want to raid with a hacker. Do you? I think this would be probably the strongest deterrent you could make without "losing subs".
    *if someone trains a group repeatedly, slow down their movement speed and max movement speed for a week by half. If they used da's to do it, lower the duration of da's on them to 5 seconds, or maybe take away their second life chance. (but again, for a limited time)
    *if someone steals a person's camp, especially if they are boxing, make it so that if any 2 of their boxes get aggro from a mob, they both evac for the next 5 levels or 2 weeks. Now, they have to play each char individually if they want to progress, and maybe they'll get a taste for that instead, but either way they'll have to respect other people a bit more. If they stole a camp and they don't box, stopping people with that mindset from grouping for a while is still going to be beneficial.

In any case, I really wanted to post a video by the onion, involving the supreme court's views of the death penalty which reflected the attitudes people are showing in a great way, but it's not safe for work. If you're old enough to enjoy colorful satire, feel free to look it up.

You're probably all good people, but I think your heads are in the wrong place with this one if you support it as heavily as you are. How long would you stay in the game if you were sent to a "prison server", but don't think of yourself as a criminal? Maybe you got reeled into a political discussion in general chat, so someone thinks you're a criminal! Now add on all these requests people have made. How long would you do it then?
    Motherlee likes this.
  16. Motherlee Augur

Part One- SoE and DBG 'judging' is and has been, the most corrupt, buggy, exploitative and unfair system I have ever seen. Hackers have more morals and sense of justice than what's been shown in games and on the forums the last 15 yrs! I wouldn't trust their decisions any farther than I can throw an ogre. For sure we'd all end up there!

Part two- the idea of prison is supposed to be rehabilitation. Permanent prison gives them no incentive to behave. Max. sentences should be 6 months at most.
  17. Reval Augur

I know, quoting yourself is gauche, but I'd really like to see this. I'd like to see how accurately they can tell who is hacking. I think this should be a mandatory first step to any game wanting to impose laws in this way; make sure that they can actually tell who's breaking the law accurately. I can't wait to see the video of a guy getting a coh and then coming out the other side with his name black for warping, or when a lag spike hits and suddenly a guys name is just black (maybe you could even make it different colors, or have different annotations on it based on how they hacked). I would want as full transparency as is possible with how these guys are determined to be doing it. I don't think that's unrealistic given the overall implications of this.

And even if I'm wrong and they are dead accurate, I'd love that too. Imagine how society would treat people that Daybreak is outright telling you (if it is accurate) are hackers. That would be game changing.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Unilaterally moving only specific accounts and their characters to a different server and forcing those players to pay to play the game when they previously did not necessarily have to do such is asking for a lawsuit in which the company would be completely trounced. There are very few situations of cheating in which DBG can prove beyond a doubt that someone was cheating. Add to that the number of times people are falsely flagged as cheating in the automated systems; makes it even less viable from a legal standpoint. What will end up happening, is that DBG will be forced to move the characters back to their home servers, offer them the identity change package, and such all for free; on top of having to fully refund anyone they extorted money from in order to access their characters after the move.

On the other hand, if they added 2-3 servers which would be subscription only and have the ruleset where people could use cheats and the like without reprisal, but the players choice to use those servers or not; that would likely draw those that use those cheats off of the standard servers and to these special ruleset servers. You could even offer a limited time free character transfers to the server, but once you are on those servers you can only transfer between them period.

More or less, Prison server is bad; but a similar server which people could voluntarily move to would be good.
    noclue and Motherlee like this.
  19. Motherlee Augur

People have been asking for a hacking server for a long time. I remember one who was very bold in his techniques! I don't think he plays anymore.
  20. Diptera Augur

This is my concern - some years ago I was incorrectly issued with a week's ban for "buying plat", which I'm pretty sure was actually somebody buying something from my trader using illegal plat.

I like the idea of a prison server for those who don't want to play by the rules, but the fact is that SOE/DBG have already proven themselves unable to investigate properly, so I'm certain that innocent toons would end up there.

Just make a new server with no restrictions on the app which shall not be named, and allow free transfers to it - pretty sure the people that want to openly use said app would welcome a server like that.