can we get a "real" progression server, please

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ethyre, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Xeris Augur

How is this not like the classic EQ experience? https://www.cnet.com/news/everquest-spins-its-own-economy/ ... this article is from 2002? There's been PTW elements in the game since the beginning. In fact, it used to be MUCH BIGGER. EverQuest was pulling in millions of actual dollars in real life transactions in exchange for in-game items or currency. Not sure what classic EQ you played, but EverQuest has been the same in this respect forever.

When I was a teenager I used to buy accounts, level them up and get raid gear, and re-sell them. This was decent money for me at the time. Ebay and other sites had accounts, plat, gear, etc for sale all the time. How is this different from someone buying a COF for 10 kronos?

=p
    furrykitty likes this.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

There are a lot more aspects than just 90 cent pots. I don't even use those outside of maybe a day on a server launch. But what I do have, and just about everyone I know, is 10 to 40 krono that other players bought and we simply accumulated through playing the game.

So, I don't pay to win at all, but here I am (and everyone I regularly play with) supporting the pay-to-win players. That's just the way the game is set up. If you buy and sell loot in a TLP today you are supporting, for better or worse, the pay to win economy.

At this point, the favorable economics (to an outsider) are probably impossible to just get rid of. You're talking about such a massive hit to the books that upper management (who likely have no idea about EverQuest and "what app is that") would reprimand or possibly fire someone who hurt the bottom line so badly.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

You can still get banned for using third party sites, just like back then.

But show us someone that got banned for spending Daybreak coins.
  4. birisu Elder

It's only pay to win if you vastly overestimate the importance of gear... just look at how people raced to beat the raid content on selos and the garbage gear they were wearing. Just don't buy crap you don't need and wait until you can get it yourself or the price goes down
    Accipiter and Meridian like this.
  5. code-zero Augur

AFAIK from reading posts like this the "real Everquest" is taking time, "enjoying the content the way it was meant to be played", 'not' racing, and also....getting all the BIS in era....

There are probably a few things I've missed but most all of those are in some way mutually exclusive.

You can never ever achieve all the contradictory things that people want so without fail within a month of launch the "ideas for the next TLP" threads start appearing and the existing servers are drained of population when people rush to the newest TLP with the fervor of an habitual gambler sticking a coin in a slot machine only in slow motion
  6. ethyre Augur

The reason this "won't ever happen" is because the business model needs to change.

They can make a financially viable no RMT server if they charge enough.

The whole industry started on monthly subscription fees. $12.99 in 1999 is worth $19.97 in 2019. But they make more money on RMT.

So charge $30/month for a subscription with no P2W possible.

I bet the average player spends less than $120 each year on RMT's. So make up that money in subscription fees. Not everyone will buy it, but cater to the players who can/would.
  7. Meridian Augur

I'm sure you and the other ones of players would be thrilled.
  8. code-zero Augur

In the FoH AMA it was stated that a premium fee server will not be considered because it causes even more CS issues due to players feeling that they are entitled to premium level customer service. Essentially players wanting this are asking to pay a lot more for access to a lot less and even though that's what they're asking for that isn't what they'll expect
  9. Drifter New Member

Though they will run active memory scans and possibly keyloggers.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Lateryn Augur

Found your problem: " I just think it's stupid to claim it's a single-client server."

It has never been claimed to be a single client server. Obviously you have no clue what true-box means. You're complaining about the few box characters here and there, imagine with no truebox everyone would just 6 box at minimum and you would see people with 40+ characters on their own. This still happens but its a lot more rare then on a non true-box server.

And you can't really buy the best gear, as most of it is no drop and becomes even more moreso later. The most you can do is pay for the occasional loot right if something is rotting in a raid, which is no different then classic. Classic had people buying plat since the start.
  11. Grailer Augur

Some of the potions like clarity and haste make players buffs useless
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

The level 60 clarity potion is probably OP but the haste potions dont increase your attack.

Having said that, yes, potions are super OP. But they don't render any classes worthless pre-70.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

I think the original subscription price was $9.95. It was increased in March/April 2002 to $12.95.
  14. Xeris Augur

My point is that EQ being 'pay to won't was 100% the case back in the day and is 100% the cass now. Only difference is that at some point along the way, the concept of krono was introduced which allows DBG to profit off RMT transfers. Honestly, this is great. It would be impossible to stop RMT exchanges for in-game items or currency, so the best alternative is to figure out a way to profit from that behavior.

Some people still use illegal 3rd party sites, but there are clearly enough people spending real money for kronos to make this all viable. More power to them for finding a way to monetize their game and keep things running.

Hell, I run plat raids which is entirely paying to get gear...
  15. Machentoo Augur

Where did they ever claim it is a single-client server? Boxing is literally present in the title of the server, "TrueBOX."
  16. Nolrog Augur

EverCast podcast 10 (I think it was 10). Anyway, most of it was the 20th anniversary Q&A panel. They addressed this specific issue. They cannot make classic because the code no longer exists and they have made so many changes, updates and bug fixes that it is impossible to recreate. However, if that's something you want so badly, they have a better version at Project 1999 already existing, so you can get pretty much what you want there..
  17. Nessirfiti Augur

Either your guild hates you, or you're in an awful guild. I'd suggest finding one that doesn't suck. But I'm guessing you're on Mangler. so Good luck, I guess?
  18. Nickatropolis Augur

I think if DB did release a server with a limited micro market and little to no krono they could charge a higher flat rate for it. Secondly, this server would certainly compete with p99 as this would offer a much closer to classic experience. Granted we all know that having in game maps, find features, modern UI, updated zones, and new spell graphics really take away from the true classic experience.
  19. Nothappening Lorekeeper

dbg doesnt care about classic experience, they care about the vocal minority.