Can we get a Hot *UN-Fix* on the Forced Progression?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Astefin, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Duder Augur

It’s like paying for a steak dinner and getting Fritos because of the hotfix patch and requesting the SH mission requiring progression, *like most expansions*? Lol, you’re silly. There is no reason you are FORCED to do progression otherwise. The zones are NOT locked. Get fellowshipped from a friend into deep shade if you want, or cothed to the door, or have someone else click and remove the rock so you can zone over, same for in Shadowhaven. Zero zones are locked to progression in this xpac. You can be assisted beyond all obstacles. Make friends, ask for help, join a group, guild, fellowship, you have so many options and none of them are forced. Grow up.
    Treiln, Rijacki, Celephane and 2 others like this.
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

lol for EOK progression I had to learn to do Tradeskills - the evilest thing in the game.
  3. Tappin Augur

Levels, basic gear, AAs, and the ability to travel FREELY to most zones is what progression means in EQ. If you want min max everything, then go ahead and be my guest. But what is CLEARLY not understood here is not everyone is interested in min maxing their character and it's never beem a requirement until ToV.

I should be able to reasonably level and progress my toon be following the old tradition - killing mobs. People clearly aren't having fun with this new maintenance mode, and that's why they are here.
    Stymie likes this.
  4. Lubianx Augur

I 100% disagee.

My view of Everquest was also doing quests. Even when I started, I did starter gear quests. I did keying quests to get into zones (POP zones, Old Seb, Howling Stones). I did faction quests because faction mattered.

LDon required quests. DoN had many quests.

If you are talking about leveling your toons outside of these quest, then do so. There is nothing stopping you. Four of my alts are level 120 and I haven't completed any progression (current or otherwise) on most of them (I have TOV on 1). So you can progress without it. Saying you can't just means you aren't trying
    Duder, Rijacki, Allayna and 1 other person like this.
  5. Treiln Augur

So many things wrong with your post. Let's break it down shall we.

Not since April of 2000 with the release of Kunark when keying/flagging started becoming a thing.

Min maxers = hard core raiders. Very small portion of the player base. Plenty of people running around in t1 gear throughout all the entire expansion from ToV forward. Min Maxing not required. Next

Still can.

Fun is subjective and to each their own. How I kill mobs has not changed in the last 10 years. If I want to set up a camp and pull mobs and kill them at whatever rate I do, then I will. That has never changed.

People are upset that someone else is able to do something faster than they are by doing something else and they do not like it. I've never understood this mentality. If you do not want to do quests/missions, then do not. Grind away (some times I prefer a good grind session for a day or two over questing). You can still acquire the same items, same AAs and same levels as everyone else.

The expansion lasts a year. You can max out your character and be at the same finish line while grinding away in the old school mob killing model as the person who ran through quests/missions.

Just a little PSA....the way you kill mobs hasn't changed. Therefore the fun of killing mobs has not changed. If it has, then this game probably isn't for you any more.
    Duder, Rijacki and Lubianx like this.
  6. Tappin Augur

Can you actually tell the truth for once? 3/26 zones had key requirements in Kunark ~12%. You can enjoy 88% of the expansion without getting a key first.

Besides a few raid guilds, no one cares about who can do something faster. There is a clear difference between reasonable and not reasonable. Just because someone (more than likely afk), can do something, doesn't make it reasonable.

Oh, and the expansion doesn't last a year most bail prior to end of spring.
  7. Lubianx Augur

A lot more than 3/26 had areas of the zone inaccessible if you didn't have keys for certain areas and some had one way paths. Having to get keys for areas and especially the one way paths were a lot more obnoxious than doing a few partisan quests.

You are picking and choosing parts that satisfy your argument.

If you want to look at the current expansion, there is technically nothing required. You can still enter Deepshade if you get cothed or ported or campfired past the door. The door isn't the zone line. If you want to open the door yourself you need a key, which requires the mission to be done. Just like if I wanted to get past specific doors in early EQ, I needed a key or complete a quest

It's not required to so the Shadown Haven partisan. Someone else can request the mission who has and bingo, you get your key

To enter Darklight, anyone on the server can remove the rocks if they completed Deepshade partisan. You dont need to.

Early EQ had a lot of zones, but a lot of these zones were not accessible without help from others, just like it is now. Imagine trying to do a corpse run in Droga without the help of a group, same with deep in City of Mist
  8. Treiln Augur

Let’s look at two things here shall we.

If most people are done with the expansion and bailing after only 6 months, then there clearly isn’t an issue with how experience is coming in. Because people who don’t want to quest, aren’t. So your whole complaint is now an entirely moot point according to your own claims.

So tell me again about how you can’t grind mobs for exp/leveling/gearing and how no one cares about someone else doing it faster via quests/tasks?
  9. Tappin Augur

People go outside and do things for the summer. Just because people bail, doesn't mean they finished it or even met their goals. All it really implies is that they are bored of it. You fail again.

This a great example in why people go back and complete old content when the new content comes out.
  10. Tappin Augur

if you want to add parts of zone to the total, then the denominator is going to go up and the fraction is going to tend towards zero. There are significantly more parts of zone without locks then locks.
  11. Zarkdon Augur

With NoS 5/7 zones are accessible without any progression at all, so you are able to go to 71% of the content. Not to far off from the 88% in Kunark that seems to be acceptable.
    Treiln and Lubianx like this.
  12. Treiln Augur

And people complete expansions in a reasonable time without being "forced" to do quests/missions.

You fail again.

FWIW: Most people are usually done with an expansion in about 4 months time (minus all the raids). So my claim of people completing it within 6 months holds true still.
  13. Tappin Augur

Yep, it's called AFKn' with 3rd party software.
  14. Treiln Augur

Ah the good ol "i'm a 12 year old" response: if i can't do it, then they're cheating response.

Have you not seen the reports of people who've run 50-60 missions already? How long do you think it takes them to go through 7 zones worth of content?
  15. Allayna Augur

Agreed. I finished the Champion on 12/8/22. Finished it for 5 other toons on 12/16/22.

I'm roughly 17 missions, or less than 5 runs from completing my type 5s for the year.

My cloak is doing its evolving thing.

Hunter and Collections will be next on the list, but then it is coast mode for the rest of the year, logging in for raids.
    Ozon and Treiln like this.
  16. Duder Augur

Y’all are forgetting plane of sky. Or even the planes at all that required minimum levels. Tappin, yer wrong, as usual.
  17. Duder Augur

You literally were a user of said software lol. Not to mention, afk campers never participate in content. They’re usually here crying about how they don’t get more for afk grinding mobs… I see a pattern. Still using it after last years ban wave maybe Tappin?
    Lubianx and Cadira like this.
  18. Qimble Augur

TBF AAxp from grinding was pretty bad in ToL. ToV was still far more aaxp/hr.
    Duder likes this.
  19. Treiln Augur

Always been that way. AAxp coming in faster in previous zones due to how fast mobs die. RoS was/is still good for AAxp at 115 with ToV being present
  20. Zalamyr Augur

I haven't played NoS at all, so I can't comment there, but I can say the increase in focus on quest chains every expansion played a large role in me losing interest in the game. I didn't mind the old school quests as much (which were just, "get these drops and turn them in"), or the expansions where you just needed to do like 6 group quests or whatever for progression. Slowly it turned into every expansion requiring the solo tasks as well, which are typically to challenging to do solo, but often stupendously tedious to do in a group. Combine that with the increasing necessity of boxing, and doing all of these "run here, find this ground spawn, hail this dude, run back over here, find another ground spawn, loot 6 things, kill five more mobs, hail another dude, kill this thing, find the right pixel to stand on to get the update, run back over somewhere, trigger these mob spawns, hope you didn't bring multiple people at this step at once because now you triggered the mob spawn 6 times, hope you didn't just wipe accidentally triggering it 6 times because you can't retrigger them without redoing the quest..." type quests on multiple toons...just ugh.

It's not that I'm against quests. It's that the quest system in EQ is trash, particularly for solo tasks.