Can someone explain the PoK Spell vendor and research unlock schedule for me?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Mwapo, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Mwapo Augur

How many expansions must pass before spells unlock on the vendor in PoK?

How many expansions must pass before you can research the spells?
    snailish likes this.
  2. Ryak Augur

IIRC spells are available for purchase 2 expansions after they come out and available for research 3 expansions after they come out.

Yes, this means research is 100% pointless after classic.
  3. Kahna Augur

There have been a handful of spells in Kunark that could be researched. Mostly the turn in spells. Honestly I don't think anyone really knows what can and can't be researched pre-pop at this point.
    snailish likes this.
  4. Mwapo Augur

So why are LDoN Spells not available on Phinigel yet?
  5. Baldur Augur

Ykesha and LDoN spells aren't available either on Phinigel with Omens of War unlocked, so this is wrong. No one even attempts to research the spells anymore, so I can't tell you what you can currently craft on Phinny.

When GoD opened up PoP spells became available on the vendors in PoK, when Omens opened up the only spell that became available was the shaman/druid rez.

I would love to know the answer to the OP question as well, because it doesn't seem consistent at all with what they've told us.
  6. Numiko Augur

More then likely a case of the dev. in change of this bit of coding being unaware that LoY and LDON even had spells available.....
  7. Ryak Augur

I'm assuming that LDoN and Ykesha spells are never going to be avalable in PoK due to them being purchased by LDoN points and rewarded for a quest, respectively.

There doesn't exactly seem to be a high demand for LDoN spells. i used to try to sell them to get something out of my excess points, but they took so long to sell I just gave up on that.
  8. Mwapo Augur

They are on the live vendors! I basically just want to know if I have to keep begging people to help me farm a yiktu or if I can just wait two months and buy the spell from a vendor.
  9. malaki Augur

PoP spells are acquired via quest also and they're on the vendors.
  10. Raltar Augur

No, PoP spells are obtained through a generic item turn in. LoY spells are actual quests with key words and stuff like that.
  11. Numiko Augur

I'm pretty sure the level 49'ish Quest spells from Original release are on the vendors
  12. Ryak Augur

I don't think anybody here is accusing DBG of being consistent...
  13. Machentoo Augur

If you hand in an item and get something else back, that's a quest. Pretty much the definition of a quest in Everquest.
  14. snailish Augur

First thing to do is to check if the spell is on the PoK vendors on live.

If the answer is no, get researching or do the quest (if applicable).

If yes, then it depends if there is in fact a era-gap for researching and vendor availability (which may be the same, or may be staggered).

Then there is the assumption that spells by era are being looked at as each "expansion" being a distinct spell era no matter how it has been opened on progression. Things might not be simple/linear/historical in this respect?

Going with PoP spells were on vendors with GoD on Phinny, but LoY aren't as of OoW (and only the 2 quest spells per class were in LoY iirc) it seems LoY spells aren't going to be on vendors. Maybe they are researchable now (as-in, as of OoW on Phinny)? Maybe they are researchable as of DoN? Speaking of DoN, based on the PoP spells... that's when LDoN spells should be on the vendors?
  15. Qucian New Member

A good example of a spell that IS in fact on the live merchants is Temperance. I recently looked for that for my cleric, but it was not on the vendor on Phinny, but is on the main servers so I had to go do the quest in Gunthak. So based on that we are in fact missing spells that should be put onto the merchants based on DBG's original intention of their spell unlock schedule.

Devs, when can we be expecting to receive updated spells being put on the spell merchants in PoK?

At this point we should also be having Auto AA granting available too. I have too many AAs already on my main, so I can't even test, but is that even in at the moment? We should at minimum have Luclin AAs being Auto granted.

Thanks!
  16. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Unrelated to the OP... but autogranting AAs wasn't added until like TDS I think? I'd be very surprised if they throw autogranting onto Phinigel before then.
  17. Machentoo Augur

They do, they autogrant after 4 aa granting expansions from the start.
    snailish likes this.
  18. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Dahelll? Is the idea behind that to get people up to speed quicker or something?
    snailish likes this.
  19. Machentoo Augur

Yes, by the time they come in, you have over a thousand aa's to catch up on, and with slow xp on Phinny, it will be needed for new players.
    snailish likes this.
  20. snailish Augur

It's a re-entry thing.

Like when they eventually add (at least) 51/50 character creation as an option on any server past... PoP? Or maybe DoN so zerkers have some time to level up 1-70?

What Mayong and Quarm event 1.0 showed (in my view) that this was not unbalancing at all (as long as you made the characters not defiant geared on progression) and really it just let you play with race/deity/stats and classes at a level where the real meat of abilities is in play. But, having the option to still create a level 1 is important too (which Mayong and Quarm 1.0 didn't have).