Can only DPS at about 40% of normal with new pet aggro changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Danille, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Iila Augur

Why shouldn't some classes/players be able to molo/solo some current named?

Serious question. EQ has a long history of skilled players with well geared characters being able to overcome encounters that were a challenge for groups of less skilled players.

So what if they can get a worthless spell rune, a hunter checkbox, and some tribute fodder armor? At least they're playing the game and having some fun.
    Cicelee, Numiko, Enkel and 9 others like this.
  2. Battleaxe Augur

I was not aware that choosing a class that could molo/solo some current named was a demonstration of skill and that choosing a class that can not was a demonstration of a lack of skill.

(I've soloed a bit with a Druid and a Paladin years ago and was surprised how little skill, and in the Druid's case also gear, was required when you have tools that can do the job - classes that everyone and their blind cat solo).

Thanks for clearing that up.
  3. Igniz Augur

"Skill" is commonly used as a term to describe the ability to evaluate your tools, to put them to the most effective use and to know your limitations.

Choosing a class that has trouble solo/moloing and then go to the forums to complain about other classes' ability to do so or being very vocal where other classes (most of which the being in question does not even use) should be and whom should get nerfed how is neither an indication for skill or rather the lack thereof either, but more an indication for a slight distance to reality and a distinct lack of common sense and social skills.

I hope that was clear enough.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Key word is 'some'. Totally fine if there are easier mobs, or mobs that lend themselves to being solo/molo'd by players of certain classes. Especially if these are in the lower tiers.

When you've got certain classes able to solo or molo most/all of current named, I'd consider that a tuning problem. And following that, if players get used to this and their first thought is "some part of my class is broken" when they can't solo a current named, that's a different issue entirely.
  5. Iila Augur

Since VoA, there's usually been a chunk of named with mechanics that wreck moloers.

Hell, even when I had 100% totd chance, there were a few named that I couldn't kill.
    Potawatomi likes this.
  6. Repthor Augur

a few they can, is not the same as a few they cant. pretty sure thats the point Dre is saying
  7. Dre. Altoholic

There were some UF/HoT mobs with big spell damage that I can't imagine being a walk in the park either. Though I do admit that a lot of the times Dre died vs these, my box Mage's pet tanked them np. Winning mostly came down to whether I could back off my bard box and DPS it down with the mage, and how bad the mercs were at not getting swatted.
    Yep. Not that I'm suggesting that's the current case either way.
  8. Benzarden Augur

The named that started this thread is one of the most difficult group named in the past two expansions. I think very few are arguing that Mages should not be able to solo well. All three major pet classes should, and can, solo well. Most non Mages are merely saying that a class shouldn't be able to solo everything in the group game. I'm all for letting people have fun playing their character. Not everything should be extremely challenging. I'd love to see mercs get adjusted to provide more fun opportunities for players. However, there should be some things in the group game that require, ya know, a group. Mages dispute this by using logic that because other classes can solo/molo a couple group named, Mages should be able to solo/molo *every* named. Because, character creation screen description and stuff. This is where the disconnect lies.
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

From the test notes:

- A number of changes have been made to the Taunt skill:
    - - Corrected a longstanding bug with pet taunt which resulted in pets having a 0% chance to successfully taunt their target.
    - - Corrected a bug that could result in warriors failing to taunt their target if the taunt button was used too rapidly.
    - - Increased the overall success rate of taunt, most notably reducing the rate that taunt will fail against higher level targets.
    - - Increased the total hatred granted by a successful taunt to 2% more hatred than the most hated target and added a 2% chance for a successful taunt to result in 10% more hatred than the most hated target.
    - - Modified the result of a failed taunt attempt to give the taunter a 50% chance of adding either 30% or 5% of the difference in hatred between them and the most hated target.
    - - Adjusted the success rate of pet taunt to match the same logic that player taunt uses.
    - - Added messaging for both player and pet taunt to more clearly inform the user whether they or their pet succeeded or failed and whether that success resulted in a critical success or whether that failure resulted in a greater or lesser partial hatred increase.

Crisis possibly curbed or averted?
  10. Leex Pewpewer

I don't think Mages think they should be able to molo any named..But a normal tank and spank? There have been certain nameds recently that Mages could not molo, due to their mechanics.. Instead of blaming the Mage, because in all reality a tank and spank named with no complex mechanic makes the strong points of what a Mage is stand out, we should be asking for more complex nameds that actually take skill..

For example, any named that spawns adds at specific intervals will more then likely destroy any Magician trying to molo it. Like Master Sage Lowenn in Argin Hiz. If the devs were to merge Master Sage with lets say Volx Xi Xakra( RoF named 300% spell slow), it would create a very tough encounter..One which I can't imagine a Mage being able to molo..I could go on but I think you guys get the idea.

At this point in time there isn't any named that can't be molo'd by specific classes, or dou'd. No named this expansion from what I've seen needs a full group to kill it.

So when you break it down it's really lack of design that everyone is mad at..Not Mages.
  11. Gnomeland Augur

I'm not at home at the moment to test the changes, but:

Doesn't sound positive.
  12. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Indeed, good thing it's only on Test so far.
  13. Silv Augur

AKA it will be on Live next week because if it doesn't cause server crashes it's not being changed till March.
    Mayfaire, Iila, beryon and 6 others like this.
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Perhaps the delicious PoWar pet mechanic is finally making a glorious, triumphant comeback.
  15. Phrovo1 Augur

I'm sure that hitting 1 button while you wait for a cleric/druid/shaman heal you takes tons of skills right? Way more skill than it takes for mages to solo x named?
  16. Igniz Augur

Funny thing is, I always thought, pet taunt actually generated a fixed amount of aggro (like SK's terror line) instead of trying to actively grab aggro via player-style taunt.

But, with taunt working just like player taunt, it will not really help pet aggro, because with this mechanic, the pets still needs another player to generate aggro, which it then can grab via taunt o_O

I'd rather have the PoWar mob ignoring pets altogehter, instead of summoning their owner. I am starting to be pretty pissed getting hit because of the laziness of some. And, as I already pointed out multiple times - a decently played WAR / PAL / SK has no issues whatsoever holding aggro against pets before the "aggro changes".
  17. Matari Augur

Sorry, I do not believe the pet changes (starting with pet holding agro for melee) have anything to do with tanks holding agro. It was a hot fix for something else.
  18. Mayfaire Augur

You think playing a warrior involves hitting just one key?

My 10 hot bars using 2-3 pages each must be one ginormous key. :rolleyes:
  19. xclip New Member

Auto attack and taunt. What more do you need, honestly?
  20. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Auntie Mayfaire's Guide to Warrioressing:
    [IMG]
    Mayfaire likes this.