Campaign vs Expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nedrom, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Nedrom Augur

Is there really a need to change the name from Expansion to Campaign for the DLCs?

Everyone is still going to call them expansions :)
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Mardy Augur

Honestly the "campaigns" sound like EQ2's adventure packs, back when EQ2 had them. I personally liked those adventure packs. They were paid, downloadable content that concentrate lore/story and content, and usually have unique loot and such. I enjoyed them before they discontinued them for large expansions.
  3. Vlerg Augur

about the size of an annual expansion.

a VoA-like expansion, or a TDS/CoTF like expansion?
    gear increase/ AA comes with those DLC? raid content?
    Soltara likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The reason they had to change the name from expansion to campaign is because not long ago they promised that they had listened to the players and would not release staggered expansion content anymore. They figured changing the name to campaigns would make us forget that they had promised not to do what they are now doing :)

I just hope that they are not going to repeat the previous expansions last tier of difficulty/gear with the next campaign.
  5. Kellaer Augur

They're going to be incredibly tiny. Three zones, maybe? Just analyze the facts. We have less developers. A lot less. On a yearly basis, we're going to be getting less content, it is just being split in half. And we all know how popular the staggered content in CotF was.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah I suspect they will be smaller then half an expansion. They will bet on the fact that since it is half the drop will be less noticeable.
  7. Vlerg Augur

half of TDS? so we get a quest hub, an intro zone, and the big bad boss endzone?
  8. Fendy Augur

cam·paign
    kamˈpān/
    noun: campaign; plural noun: campaigns
    a series of military operations intended to achieve a particular objective, confined to a particular area, or involving a specified type of fighting.
    ---------------
    Almost sounds like a raid.
  9. Tyraxor Augur

Need facts to consider all this, but it's all vague (and thus empty) words.
    I mean of course, they need to sweet-talk players into being satisfied with less.
    It's still better than silence, but i'm not optimistic at all for the "campaigns".
    If a bright future would be ahead, they would let numbers speak.
    "Hey guys, we will bring you x zones with x tiers and x raids this autumn / whenever = okay cool.
    "Hey guys, we bring you campaigns and it's so cool to have downloadable content (wut, expansions were downloaded too just via the patcher...) = oh crap, more sugarcoat.
  10. Vlerg Augur

Agree with Tyraxor.

I may also be paranoid... but those new ldon mystery-box ( a typical scam aimed at gamling addicts) bring a quite unpleasant stench... The simple and honest way to make money with ldon card would be to put them on the SC store... the also simple, but not-too-honest way is to hide them in a RNG box that's gonna give you crap 99% of the time.

Kinda have a feeling this will just ends up as a staggered release expansion... except we will pay the usual price for part 1, and the DLC price for part 2 and 3.
  11. Kellaer Augur

It's just a word. They aren't going to call it by what it is: smaller, staggered releases. We all know how well that went with CotF. If you have been paying attention to what SOE/Daybreak producers or CMs say, you know that pretty language is meaningless. The reality is there are less developers, we're getting less content than TDS, it is being delivered in halves. Remember when our previous producer was giving us "weekly content?" It wasn't weekly content like he was implying. It was stupid, and nobody was impressed. SOE did a couple new things like Erollisi Day and recycled anniversary content over months.

I am expecting something like three zones every six months, maybe with two or three raids. EQ2 hated it, we already hated it with CotF, this is going to be a horrible change. And it's sad, after Elidroth said we were going full ahead with expansions after talking to Smedley. Looks like Smedley is up to his old antics again like he was when he promised TDS would be bigger and better.
    Shadva Del`Shai likes this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

With the Heroic Adventures system in place, a "Campaign" may just be a single zone (imagine The Hole, Stonebrunt Mountains, Jaggedpine with 5 HAs/1 raid each) and not even on the LoY scale (Charm slot, Froglok race).

Consider the Candyland portal in Shard's Landing, "Gnome Mountain", blocked entrance at Jaggedpine, blocked cave in Stonebrunt, unknown zoneline in Beast's Domain, etc, etc....

Basically a paid PoWar kind of release.
  13. Vlerg Augur

i'm being waay too opimistic here but...

for those with an active subscription and who buy yearly expansion, I don't suppose that DLC would actually be included in the subscription price, right? or atleast, allow us to buy it with our 500SC/month?
  14. Ratbo Peep Augur

I don't think you get the gravity of this change.
    Yearly expansions just went the way of the Thuliasaur. Forever.
    -Rat
    Perplexed likes this.
  15. Vlad Diszno Augur

"I don't think you get the gravity of this change.
    Yearly expansions just went the way of the Thuliasaur. Forever.
    -Rat "

We just need someone to go out and find a yearly expansion that's been fossilized in some sap, pluck its' DNA, and clone it. W/ some changes to its' DNA, of course, just so don't keep getting the same expansion.
  16. ~Mills~ Augur

If they don't pull their heads out of the sand and throw every resource they have and every temporary resource from elsewhere that they can muster in to putting out the LARGE expansion that they promised after the fail of CoTF than someone needs to go wake up kelafane to post about eq's death. This means stop wasting resources on TLP, adv looting, key rings, Heroic adventures and whatever copycat new idea they want to try for now. Give the people what they want before its to late and do that stuff after we have recovered somewhat. Or enjoy going down with the ship as you burned up all your credibility over the past 2 years of disappointment and lots won't be extending it further in a profitable way for you.
  17. Reht The Dude abides...

This is kind of what EQ2 did with Rum Cellar campaign, however according to the Rum Cellar Campaign preview for EQ2, it's smaller than the ones they are planning for fall and beyond. Not sure how the similar EQ1's will be to EQ2's, but you can get some more info on EQ2's here:
  18. Nolrog Augur

That was before they let half the team go. Things change. They cannot keep up with an expansion pace , plus everything else they do with this current staff. That promise went out the window the day those layoffs hit.
  19. Reht The Dude abides...

While i don't think anyone who understands the condition that the team has been left in will disagree, that's not what is being presented to us. Holly's letter clearly states that they plan to release the equivalent of a previous expansion's worth of content in two releases rather than one, within a year. They are trying to sell us on the fact that they feel that they can keep up with the same development pace with a smaller team but that they are changing the paradigm because they feel it will somehow be more player-friendly because "it will allow us to deliver content to you more often as well as respond to an ever-changing player base."
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

This year we will get half an expansion which probably has already been worked on a fair bit. Then maybe the expansion after that will come out at six months after that. Then they wont be able to keep up with the two campaigns and will drop it to one a year.
    Drusi and Soltara like this.