Camera Height Issue

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Aradiell, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Aradiell New Member

Hello. I've been playing EQ on and off since day one, and for the longest time, I've had an issue with the camera. I have done a lot of research on this, and even though it seems like something incredibly easy to fix, I've yet to run into anyone who knows of an actual fix for this. The issue that I am having, is that I would like to be able to scroll out from 1st person into 3rd person, but instead of having my character in the very center of the screen, I would like to have the camera height raised up enough so that my character is more centered at the bottom of the screen. I understand F9 switches views, but I have spent years messing with these views, and none of them are what I am looking for. The overhead camera view is close, but the game is unplayable when you are trying to right mouse pan around and the height constantly gets adjusted. Also, there is no way to look up using the mouse while in overhead mode. Under the keybindings /camera drop down there are settings for height, but this seems to only effect the camera while in overhead mode. Is there any way around this? I would really like to play, and I am completely unable to with the way the camera is setup currently. I really feel that all of the F9 cameras are for screenshots only; there just has to be a way around this. I noticed a camera plugin out there but it seems it only effects max distance, but no where does it say anything about camera height. Also, I see there are camera settings in the INI file, which I have made changes to in the past but have never seen any difference in any of the camera positions in any of the view modes. Thanks in advance
  2. Stymie Pendragon

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I scroll out with the mouse wheel and hold the right mouse button while adjusting camera angles. Other than the max distance per zone thing I can get nearly any view. Have you tried that?
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

F9 toggles camera views, one of those views, iirc the 3rd? one after 1st person default, coupled with RMBhold and drag can move the camera out a long way.

edited to add- first person / mouseheel out has a shorter leash than the long oblique view, but you have to RMBhold drag/push to mod the range,
  4. Aradiell New Member

Unfortunately, I've tried extremely hard to get used to any of the F9 views and I just cannot. The only way I am able to play the game is by using the mouse to scroll out into 3rd person. The problem with this 3rd person default view (compared to 99% of other mmos) is your character is in the very center of the screen. Most other games(that do not give me any eye related health issues) the character is more towards the bottom half of the screen. All I would like, and I know it must be possible to do because it seems so simple, is to raise the camera height by a couple inches in the default 3rd person view. DOes anyone know if that is possible? Maybe an entry into an ini file somewhere that changes the default height of this 3rd person camera? Thank you
  5. Aradiell New Member

Is there anyone else who has this issue? Certainly I must not be the only one. Mainly, I am looking for a way to adjust the camera height in the standard <mouse zoom out> 3d person view. From what I understand, the game was not necessarily designed for 3rd person, so their added zoom and camera features are rather limited. I know there is a camera height option under camera options, but this seems to only effect the third F9 overhead camera view. I can see many camera adjustment settings in the .ini file, though I have made changes to these and none of them seem to do anything; also they seem to revert back to their original settings. I know there are camera mods out there, but I dont think any of them effect 3rd person camera height. If anyone has found a way around this I would greatly appreciate it. I'd love to play the game again. and due to some eye problems I have been going though, I cannot play in any other view. Thank you
  6. Warpeace Augur

They need to add more adjustment range to whats already there. I would be happy if they did that.
  7. Zigie Journeyman

Have you tried using /VIEWPORT along with the F9 and mousing out camera angles?
  8. Aradiell New Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I had done some research on the viewport, and the only thing I have found to do with it is set which pixels on my 1920x1080 screen the game window is in and which pixels are to be unused by the game window AKA black edges outside of the game window.

I'd still really like to play the game, but I am at a loss. I have seen multiple people post on this and there seems to be no fix. The closest I can get to the camera I'd like to use is the one after hitting F9 twice(chase camera) allowing you to use ALT and number pad keys to set the zoom height and camera angle, however while in this view, the right mouse ALSO adjusts camera height instead of being able to pan, which has been impossible for me to get used to.

Since it doesnt seem possible to adjust the camera height while in the default camera(mouse zoom out from 1st person) mode, is there a way to disable the mouse from adjusting camera height (without disabling mouse control alltogether) while in 'chase' camera mode? Or is there a way to remap what the right mouse button does while in chase camera mode?
  9. Raytan Augur

I don't know if this will help, but I sometimes like to use the F9 twice myself. Besides the Alt# keys, I assume you are using them to zoom in, out, up or down, you can also use your Alt+arrow key, to look up or down. For example, you can use your Alt+up arrow key to raise the camera above your zoomed out character, then your Alt+page down key to look down, keeping the camera above your character where you set it. Your Alt+up arrow/down arrow will raise and lower your camera without changing your looking up and down.

Keep in mind if you zoom out far from you character, when you get a wall or object behind your back, you'll zoom back in, depending how far your zoomed out. I do like this "back" third person view for doing some things, but not practical for dungeons.

For your mouse, in this mode, you can click on the Blue EQ button, click on the mouse tab at the top, and then see if your "Mouse Look" button is checked. If its checked, then your right mouse button will move where you look. If you un-check it, then your right mouse button will do nothing as far as where you look, it will still work on right clicking on objects. I personally like using my cursor arrows to look where I want, but I have a lot of friends who swear the mouse looking is the way to go.

I like setting up the F9 twice as you described, and hope this helps. The main problem I have with the F9 camera views is you can't save them, so you'll have to set it up again for each EQ session. I hope this helps and good luck.

Edit for typos.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Aradiell New Member

Ultimately I would like to use the Alt Num keys to manipulate the camera height angle etc while in the zoom out from 1st person view, but they do not. The most reasonable zoom/height adjustment controls are in that 'chase' camera you mentioned you prefer. While in this mode, have you found a way to make it so that holding the right mouse button allows you to pan around rather than simply adjusting camera height? This seems like a redundant feature as you can use the alt num keys to do the same thing.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

Options -> Keys -> Camera.

Assign a key for User Defined Camera 2.

Enjoy the original orbital camera and situational awareness.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

Weird. I thought all games put you center screen.
  13. Aradiell New Member

I've played just about every MMO out there, and for the most part, when you zoom out from 1st person, or go into a 3rd person view mode, the top of your head is in the center of the screen, and your feet near the bottom. EQ is the only game where the further you zoom out, the closer your feet get to the center of the screen, and your head is near the top of the screen. EQ is really the only challenging MMO out there though, and playing it in 1st person is viable seeing as it was intended for such, but makes it even more difficult. Its pretty easy to get jumped when fighting, and playing in 3rd person view helps a lot with that.
  14. Aradiell New Member

15. Wulfhere Augur

During my RZ pvp era, playing in 1st person was key to fighting and wining in pvp combat (circa 2000). Using Cam2 was key to watching your surroundings. I feel Cam2 is still the best camera for EQ in general.
  16. Aradiell New Member

If anyone knows of a way to add height adjustments for the zoomed out default camera, or how to remap what the mouse buttons do while in the chase camera, please let me know. I have already tried all of the other different view modes with F9 many times, and none of them work for me. Thank you

Also, I have looking into the Camera addon and noticed that it effects the view distance only. Does anyone know if this is still being updated? If it's possible to change the view distance, then it seems like it would at least be possible to change the default camera height in some way. I have spent countless hours reading through every .ini file in the eq directory looking for camera related fields, but have yet to find anything useful.
  17. demonikus New Member

Did you ever find the fix to this? I was fine yesterday but am now having the same issue you are describing. My screen seems zoomed in and I have lost the ability to zoom out as far as I used to.
  18. eifer New Member

I'm a new player and honestly this is my biggest complaint. The character model shouldn't be centered in 3rd person. It wastes a ton of space and makes it really awkward because either I see too much ground or too much sky. This could be so easily fixed by having a view where the character model is a bit lower.
  19. EX0stasis New Member

Brand new player here, and I too find this issue very annoying, especially when I'm in a cramped room with a low ceiling, and I can't even zoom out far enough to see the names of NPCs without turning the camera up and letting my character's body take up 1/3 of the screen.

I like to create a little valley HUD UI at the bottom center of my screen for my character, then places as much of the always on UI in the left and right bottom corners of the screen.

However, in looking at other more experienced EQ players' HUDs, I've noticed that many people have UI elements along the entire bottom half of the screen, probably since that area would be useless otherwise because it's just looking at the ground behind your character.

This might be one of those lack of quality-of-life features that you didn't know you needed until you play newer games.