Call of the Forsaken Update

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Phathom, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Axxius Augur

That's odd. My server select screen started saying, "You own 20 of 20 expansions" about a week ago. I attended SOE Live and didn't pre-order CotF.
  2. Celibate New Member

Oct 8th eh? That'll bring it to right about a full month that people who reached a point where they'd like to buy the next expansion, really can't unless they'd like to double pay. *sigh*
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Source ?

I've see nothing official about future releases for this expansion
  4. Piestro Augur

For the last year we've been releasing content on a much more regular schedule, rather than a single release around expansion time and very little for the rest of the year. While we haven't released any specifics, we are planning on future content releases in this vein.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Lack of information for future releases of CotF really isn't selling me this expansion.

Information with regard to RoF was pitiful, with the official announcement for the final(?) part of RoF coming after the release had been patched. The ? for the final part is we haven't really had all of RoF have we? There is still that finished portal that isn't working.

Is it too much to tell customers how much they are getting for their money by way of the number of future zones, quests, raids, missions, etc along with a rough idea of when?

I never thought I'd be asking for this, but if you cannot tell us how much we will be getting in future releases, can we at least get a pay as you go system, where you pay for the content as we receive it not all upfront with NO knowledge of the future.
    Nenton, Genadine and Zorasis like this.
  6. Casidia Augur

Especially since it's still almost as expensive as a new game..
    I'm fortunate enuf to not have money problems, but if and i'm sure there are people who do...
    i would be so mad about having to pay 40 bucks x2 (for the alt account), for something that has decreased in quality so much over the years i'm telling you...
  7. Axxius Augur

This is THE issue. Keeping players in the dark. Not telling us what we are getting, or when.

Last year, one of the more outspoken devs argued that $40 was paid for the content released with RoF, and everything after that was free, therefore we should be happy. RoF release had only 2 tiers. Or, speaking from today's situation, WHOLE 2 TIERS. That argument is totally not going to work this time around. CotF pre-order page already gives the idea just how much is being released. And once Beta NDA is lifted, the whole truth will come out, just in time for the majority of players to decide whether to pay $40 or not.

IMO the details of the subsequent releases really need to be made public if you want to sell this expansion. You don't have to put any dates or guarantees on it. Just tell us what the plan is, a roadmap, something, anything. Otherwise I fear this is not going to be a successful expansion, to put it mildly.
    Nenton, Marton and Yinla like this.
  8. EddieP Lorekeeper

I truly believe the Development team WANTS to give us the best expansion possible and will work very hard to deliver it, but i also believe they are working in a do the best you can environment.

The problem with this is you are expecting me to shell out a decent amount of money for something i really don't understand what i am getting. They really do need to put out a fact sheet (it may be too late for this expansion) but for sure any that come after that includes the following information.

(Please note features examples are not what was promised just examples)

Intial release: Oct 8, 2013

Four Zones 98+
    18 Missions
    4 raids
    First pass Merc AA's and equipment
    player spells

Release 2: Approx Jan 2014
    5 Zones 99+
    25 Missions
    6 raids
    Player AAs

Release 3: Approx March 2014
    4 Zone 100+
    25 Missions
    6 Raids
    Uber evolving class weapons
    2nd pass Merc AA's and equipment

This way i know what i am getting and when.

I (and everyone else on the forums) play this game A LOT. That being said, There is no other company/service i would accept pay full price now, and you will get 'more stuff for free later.'
    And i am not sure how much longer i can accept that from EQ.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  9. Tobynn Augur

I have recently developed a severe distaste for this new content release model. I am not opposed to staggered content release, all at once, bit by bit, makes no difference to me as long as I get a years worth of content for a year's worth of expense. What irks me is that I am now forced to pay a year's expense upfront for some unknown, undetermined, and as yet unplanned year's worth of content. Now, its become pay $40 today to access the content being released in two weeks, plus whatever additional content might be released over the next year-ish. Essentially, I am no longer paying for the development of new content, I am simply paying for access.

Even if it ends up being no additional content at all, my $40 gives me access to 100% of that nothing, too. Ain't that a daisy?

I think its become rather clear as of late. Future content is not being kept under wraps for the sake of secrecy or surprise -- it simply doesn't exist yet, not even in concept.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

SOE often has some issues with releasing information. I'll be nice and just assume that they are really busy and it takes time to do stuff.

I have some information on this, which I believe came from SOE Live (I wasn't there but there were reports from those who were). I did mention to SOE that they should post for everyone what was told at SOE Live, at least put the PowerPoint slides on the web for us...

Anyway, this is what I gathered:

Call of the Forsaken:
    • Scheduled to be released October 8, 2013. With these features: http://www.everquest.com/expansion-content/cof
    • Additional content to be released in January 2014 and June/July 2014.
    • Extra content to be released for EQ's 15th Anniversary in March 2014. Including: New Race Class Combinations, Player Designed Missions (designed at SOE Live), The Plane of War - Long missing zone off of the Plane of Tranquility
    All this is just what I think they announced. And, as always, subject to change.
  11. Tobynn Augur

I keep seeing these milemarkers mentioned. What's the source of this info?
  12. Greymantle Augur

The biggest problem with SOE giving dates is people expect them to be engraved in granite. If something happens that requires a delay, 'some' folk go balistic. The boards fill up with rants and diatribe. I would rather a forcast with a range , much less drama.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That would be better than the nothing we have currently. Currently we have there will be additional content. I have seen players posting that there will be 2 and 3 more updates, I guess one of them will turn out to be correct.

I am not interested in chinese whispers or hearsay.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Like I mentioned, SOE Live.
  15. Axxius Augur

Which panel/keynote were they mentioned at? I was there but don't recall hearing anything about the number of additional releases for CotF, nor the dates.
  16. Bauer Augur

[quote="Tobynn, post: 29976]I keep seeing these milemarkers mentioned. What's the source of this info?[/quote]

Vito said so, over at Big Sal's Deli
  17. Tobynn Augur

Oh, words spoken at SOE Live, lulz. Yeah, promises there are often so reliable. Keep in mind that was pre-downsizing and pre-layoffs. As you indicated, subject to change -- I am confident its been subjected already. Carry on!
  18. Quill Augur

Actually.. judging from the response now that the NDA has lifted, they might not have.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Again, I wasn't there. But here is the thread where it was discussed: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/eq-expansion-panel.202007/

On page 3 of that thread (depending on how many posts per page you have it set for):
    I'm not sure how reliable this information is. And, of course, all this changes as time goes by and SOE sees where they are at.

SOE won't comment on how many people are working on EQ and how that number has changed over the years, but I don't think it is a lot.

For once I don't blame SOE for not telling us what to exactly expect, because I don't think they know. All they can do is guess based on past experience, but nothing remains the same.

I can understand people not liking the idea of paying for an expansion without knowing what we will get, but if you are an EQ player, you don't have much choice. You pretty much have to buy CotF unless you are happy just playing in the old zones.

I've already pre-ordered it because I plan on playing EQ until they shut down the game, hopefully that will be in the year 2097. If you feel that EQ is no longer fun and you don't think CotF has a chance of changing that, well, I guess you don't want it. But to me it is new content, and all my friends and guildmates will be there and I want to join them.

And I know that the Devs, for all the disagreements we all have over things and the fact that I wish there were a lot more of them, do care about EQ and they do try very hard to make a good game. Sometimes they don't create a winner (Heart of Fear does not impress me but maybe if I play there more it will grow on me). But overall, I like the game and I see it improving all the time.
    Andarriel likes this.
  20. Phrett Augur

Ride 'er till the wheels fall off...