Calculating Avoidance AC

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by josh, Apr 29, 2018.

1. josh Augur

For anybody who doesn't like knowing the numbers behind things this post is a colossal waste of time, I like knowing the math behind things though so I figured I'd share. It's also gonna be real long and rambly, so strap in if you are interested.

A couple years ago before the changes to display AC i created an excel sheet and plugged all of dzarn's formulas into it. I was never able to get a dead on match with my display AC and his formula but i was darn close. I decided to take another look at it and I'm still not able to get mitigation AC perfect, I'm only off by 24 though and i assume this is probably because of armor of wisdom and the assumptions I'm making with it.

BUT Avoidance AC is much easier, and I noticed a couple things i thought I'd share. Here is dzarn's original post

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ac-vs-acv2.210028/

and the relevant bit about avoidance AC

There are two things missing from this, one is minor and one is rather big. The big one is SPA 172. This is what abilities like preeminent foresight use. I'm not 100% certain but i would assume its the same SPA used by combat agility and physical enhancement as well.

so, for me, with dzarn's formula my computed defense calculation looks like this

TRUNC((((430*400)/225) + ((8000 * (2761-40))/36000) + (1771/10) + 169)

this gets me to 1715, when my actual avoidance AC is 3448. so, we need to apply SPA 172 buffs.

from CA i have 85% and from physical enhancement i have 15% for a total of 100%. that's convenient, but this only gets me to 3430, I'm short 9 avoidance somewhere. I made a level 1 toon and plugged its stats into this formula and he is also short by exactly 9. So, we have a base avoidance of 9 it seems. I'm thinking this is possibly to avoid divide by zero errors? not sure.

adding 11% spa 172 from preeminent foresight for a total of 111% gives me 3620 avoidance AC. which is actually what that buff puts me at, even more "interesting", I made a warrior and put fort on him and even forts 10,000% increase comes out perfectly, your avoidance is increased by exactly 10,000% + CA and PE. certainly makes you wonder why the devs have never gotten around to making it so fort and preeminent can be on you at the same time. seems like an easy and necessary fix to me but whatever.

This got me wondering, fort doesn't inherently give you a 100% chance to be missed, it just makes it extremely unlikely that you will get hit, so i got a low level warrior and used fort on him and i can (extremely rarely) hit him, sort of interesting. have any warriors actually noticed mobs hitting them through fort?