Bypassing Security Lock - Ban

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Cstoner187, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Cstoner187 Elder

Anyone know why my account got banned for: bypassing security lock? I don't even know what that means... Thanks
  2. Donutsz12 Elder

Your not alone. I got this on several of my buff toon accounts. Great timing to do this DBG on your special experience week!!!

Tis the season to be Jolly!!
  3. Nosmo New Member

I just got the same thing on some of my ftp accounts. Only thing I can think of was I was playing through VPN
  4. taliefer Augur

seems to have hit a couple of people i know as well. this seems like an odd thing.
  5. phaeril Augur

Probably means avoiding setting 2FA on your account. Given that all of my accounts that had 2FA added (after considerable annoyance, system only works half the time and it only lets you do a couple a day anyway) are fine and all of them I didn't add 2FA to were banned. I put in a support ticket but don't expect anything to come of it, despite there clearly not being any malfeasance.
  6. Nosmo New Member

yeah that looks like my issue as well. The accounts that I didn't have 2 step auth on were banned. Should have just been suspended until I turned them on.
  7. phaeril Augur

Or maybe an email to those accounts, or don't let them log in, or really anything. Oh well, the more you know... at least it's bonus XP time to grind them up all over again.

[IMG]
  8. Catashe Augur

Then why do they only ban some accounts and not other.. Other than there secret question I sure ain't got that 2 auth stuff on my account yet someone i know was banned for this problem
  9. Nosmo New Member

I was also was using a VPN while on these accounts, so it probably looks like an account being used in two different places. Maybe they think accounts were hacked/stolen.
  10. Guzzle Augur

2FA isn't a requirement as far as I remember, so I think even talking about that being a reason sounds silly.

It sounds to me like a false-flag in the system for some folks, maybe they're testing implementing and requiring 2FA, and screwed it up when testing on live?
  11. Bigstomp Augur

What does 2fa mean. I had to set it up on an account a while ago, but when I logged in it never asked. It just worked. I've played on multiple computers since then and still nothing. It really seems to not do anything.
  12. phaeril Augur

Two Factor Authentication. And that's kind of the point, having your account flagged as "needs 2fa added" only prevents you from making changes to the account, not from playing and doesn't give you any indication that you're bypassing anything given that you don't have to use two factor to play, just to make account changes. I only ever needed to do anything with a few of my accounts (buying dbc for FasionQuest) so only set it up on those and just played without setting it up on others. The ones I didn't set it up on were banned, the ones I did where not.
  13. qq1zy New Member

Same here, got ban email stated with this reason.
    dbg should come up with some explanation but doubt..
  14. DebMT New Member

How in the world are we supposed to know that we need to set up 2FA?

I lost all my buffing alts which didn't have any personal information (besides e-mail) on them.

These accounts should have been suspended and then allowed to enter the missing information.

Isn't that a more reasonable course to follow instead of losing paying(my alts had spent Krono) customers?

Daybreak, we need some guidance and proper channels to follow.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

For those of you who do not know - this is from DB help section: "Protect your Daybreak Account by setting up 2-Step Verification which will send a security code to your mobile device for you to enter during the password recovery flow."

You are not required to have this on your account.

But if you do a character transfer you need it, but it appears they have disabled the account to account transfer until 2018. Possibly related? The old directions for acct to acct transfers:
    "Do not purchase the Daybreak Cash until you have set up the 2 Step verification requirements"

Due to some phone os upgrades in Sept which affected the 2 - step process many EQ 2 accounts were banned by mistake.

Some people have many many accounts and none of those accounts have 2 - step and are not being banned.

Food for thought.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I really hope they don't make mobile phones a hard requirement for playing.

I have no need for a mobile phone to do my "phoning"(my old non-mobile phone works fine for that), would be a waste to buy a new phone just to play EQ...
  17. phaeril Augur

The difference is that occasionally daybreak decides your account is suspicious and then requires you to set up 2FA on the account as can be hinted at in their 2-Step Authentication help document: https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002980587-How-Do-I-Set-Up-2-Step-Authentication

The problem here is that it doesn't actually lock your account (at least for EverQuest) when they have flagged your account for suspicious behavior. If you do not use their launcher you might not ever know your account has been flagged, they don't email you, notify you in game, nothing. I actually did notice 6 months ago when this happened to a few my accounts and set 2FA up on some of them, but not all of them. The ones that I did not enable 2FA on even though they were flagged are the accounts that were banned. The natural effect of this is that what they intended to be "this account is suspicious, require 2FA on it" turned into "this account is banned" without notification, which does not appear to have been the original intent.

Rereading my original post it wasn't clear that the accounts (of mine) that were banned were flagged to require 2FA. Given the fact that it allows you to play (while continuing to charge the recurring subscription) and only prevents you from making changes to the account (character transfers, password changes, etc.) there is no indication that this is a violation of the terms of service, if it is noticed at all.
  18. Nosmo New Member

Based on the posts and my accounts. It is a combination of things. First is the account gets flagged a suspicious. I had this occur when I started EQ while having my VPN on. That made it look like someone in different part of world was playing my account. It could be some of the known VPN IPs are also automatically marked as suspicious. The second part of the problem is if you don't use 2FA while marked supisious. For me i received the 2FA requirement for my main accounts when using the launcher. For the ones banned I never got the notification because I launched directly into everquest login and not daybreak login. My accounts were just level 10 so no big deal. But they really should just suspend account or alert at everquest login not just daybreak login
    mirosk likes this.
  19. CrazyLarth Augur

my friends had a weird issue where they were told to turn of their PC wifi and use their Cell phone to reset the password must of been that 2FA issue maybe now that I read this. no idea what peeps who don;t own a cell phone are to do.
  20. Roxxlyy Augur

Spoke to some of the folks in the CS department today about this - there are a couple reasons that this happens every now and again to EQ players. Regardless, if you put in a support ticket it should be a relatively easy fix and they'll help get you set up so it shouldn't happen again.
    Guzzle likes this.