BST tanking?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Lordik, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Lordik Journeyman

Hello everyone.

I wondering how good beastlord can tank from PoP and later xpacks? In full group with shaman, cleric, bard and 2 dpsers? Will he keep aggro from dpsers? Or let pet do the job?
  2. dubblestack Elder

There are a few discs and aas may allow (depending on how difficult the named is) a beast to tank for a very limited time. otherwise, the pet will be much more reliable, especially if you gear it, if you're dead set in a pet tank. For trash, it will work, for a named it will be dicey.

I wouldn't rely on a beast pet as a tank in a group like that. If you're going to invest in those other chars, may as well have a real tank. A real tank will have much more control and utility, it will be hard to go after current content with a pet.

I have a strange group and don't like boxing very much, so i have 2 bsts, a mage, and a shaman and whatever mercs i feel like.
  3. Lordik Journeyman

Raid geared main beast.With cleric and shaman he will not handle content?

I don't want to play tank class, looking to play main as main and build box crew around him.Again we are talking about PoP+, expansions lvl 100+ is far away from TLPs.
  4. Boze TLP complaint factory

On TLPs pet tanking isn't reliable until TSS, their mitigation and avoidance is just too far behind until then. Until TSS tanking as a raid geared beast works surprisingly well for most group content. Gear AC heavy. Slows (can keep multiple on bar) and Flash of Light will be your best "taunts". Keeping weapons that have high agro procs (e.g., stuns) helps as well, and your poison dot is crazy agro. This was my approach on Phinny, and you'll be able to do some crazy things. The 2HB with the rune iv proc off Vishimtar in DoN will be your epic.

Once TSS hits and you get your 73 pet then your pet becomes the tank, and pet focus and companions fortification AAs become your most important things.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  5. Lordik Journeyman

Thanks all for responses.
  6. Roxas MM Augur

what Boze said. I'd like to add, make sure your group is smart as well, cuz the lack of taunt, aka snap aggro, is a thing you need to get accustomed too. Apart from that, your cripple spell is hot aggro too.
  7. Lordik Journeyman

Thanks Rox. How is RG doing? I still pop time to time on RG forums :)

The plan is - i have 2 sets of chars, not decided which way to go.

BST CLR BRD SHM MNK MNK ( most likely will replace 1 monk for bers for future auras)

BST CLR BRD ENC MAG MAG

Caster setup more utility, but melee better sustaine dps and much easy for me to posision, i like to be on the move all the time instead pulling to camp.