Broken quests or just really hard to solve?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sancho, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Sancho Elder

The quest that brings this to mind is the "Names of the Sphinx" quest in Jewel of Atiiki. The quest is easy. You just go around and hail 12 sphinxes. Then there is an 'optional' step. It simply says "(Opt) Seek out the hidden Sphinx 0/1 (Jewel of Atiiki)".

Now you can solve this no problem without doing the optional step. The cruel trick is there is no 13th sphinx. None on track, no invisible mobs, nothing. It may be spawned with a certain configuration on the game boards (quests that come after the naming one). It may be spawned by killing mobs or clicking on random things in the zone. Who knows. It's been unsolved to this date. If the hidden sphinx is legitimately in the game, it is so hard to find that most people finish the quest and never even try to solve the mystery.

Quests like this make me want to be the first to solve them, even if it is for an outdated reward. The problem is, I've been with you guys long enough to know that if nobody else has solved it by now, it's probably just plain broken. It's even more frustrating when there are strange oddities and clues throughout the quests for something that probably never got implemented due to time, money, personnel, whatever.

Any way we can get a couple just plain 'yes no' answers if certain quests are broken? Think of it as penance for all the wasted time spent on the wild goose chase of the fiery avenger quest!

I'll start: Is the optional step in the Names of the Sphinx quest broken?
  2. Tobynn Augur

I just recently did the efreeti mask quest series again for an alt. The 13th sphinx, alleged to be Isiiilisinisusurpa, is marked on the standard map available from Mapfiend (and certainly circulated elsewhere). Appears someone, at some point, found the NPC and mapped it. I have always suspected that /loc came from Beta and the thing never actually went live. Back when TBS was current, I sunk an inordinate amount of time into trying to find/spawn the hidden sphinx. I know a pile of players that completed the quest, but I know of zero that actually found the hidden.
  3. Ducreux Augur

Broken quest.

Asked Merloc about this at FanFaire 07' during the "create a quest" panel and we brought up the idea of making a mission to actually spawn/find this Sphinx.

Obviously that never came about.