Broken Promises or Will We Ever See?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Abazzagorath, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Tarrin Augur

Quite a few people said it was illegal, or at least tried to say it was.
    Bauer likes this.
  2. EverChanter Augur

Bosses in other occupations can come up with as many reasons as SoE does to change/modify the way they handle business.

It could have also turned out to be more than just horrible PR, if this was something planned and is just being withheld from the public. Don't think that doesn't happen, and that is HIGHLY illegal. It really is suspicious to me how this all panned out. Announced, few months later one aspect was changed while the customers were assured of certain terms, than 2 months later it all changes. Please remember this isn't a 10 employee coffee shop, they have at least 73 employees from the information I found (which excludes interns I imagine, and is probably higher), there is little to no chance that these were not discussed months prior to them making the decision. Instead of bringing the information to the public with haste, they sit around and wait for a few more people to spend money on it. Sure, many places do that, all of which have a garbage ethical code in their workplace.
    Leerah likes this.
  3. Leerah Augur

Wrong promotion, Tarrin.
    Some companies rely on trust and good-will with their customers. I don't want to put SOE on the same list as the dollar stores and Harbor Freight.
  4. Tarrin Augur

What wrong promotion? I went to the specific promotion *you* linked. I am confused.
  5. EverChanter Augur

I wasn't even affected by either changes to Station Cash, other than how a company used its ability to change an agreement at will. I will no longer purchase expansions (12 years doing so) and I log in maybe 3 times a week at most now since these issues started. I can't stand a company that won't honor it's commitment that it made. You told people they could use Station Cash to purchase expansions, now you refuse to honor it, and from what I understand you won't even honor their requests for a refund. SoE is acting like the 10 year old of the MMO industry.

Leerah, you should just let your accounts for silver and stop giving them money.
    Leerah likes this.
  6. artofnoise Augur

Well, sadly, this growing trend with SOE is souring some of us on EQ altogether. I say this with a heavy heart.

Yes, SOE has the right to change their terms/services/etc. at will (and now does) but at one time they did not pull stunts like this... or at least not so many in quick succession. No, we do not have any legal recourse. This is the win-win for businesses that sell virtual "goods" and services. That may change some day, but for now we can only make our buying decisions on the trustworthiness of the company.

Overall, I have enjoyed EQ over the years, but now it feels more and more like dealing with politicians. Too much time spent re-defining what previous statements meant or did not mean instead of being clear from the start. At this point, I am having difficulty believing any statements made by SOE representatives because I can never be sure if it will be changed or revoked by a higher level manager.

:(
    Leerah likes this.
  7. Hahlfwit Augur

We all entered into an agreement/contract of sorts when we decided to play this game. The terms were set out and we agreed to them and spent the money.
    While I agree the changes can be frustrating, we all have the ability to end that agreement. You know, take your toys and go home kind of deal.
    If something SOE does or says seems too good to be true or real, chances are, it is, and will change. Take advantage of it while you can and when it ends, move on.
    I am not a SOE employee or even an advocate, just saying, they created or own the game for profit. If something starts to be detrimental to the profit margin, it changes in their favor.
    Geozen likes this.
  8. Vouivre Augur

Or another valid action is to complain about it in the game or on forums like this one.
  9. Ozlaar Journeyman

Those of you wanting to purchase expansions using Station Cash it will never happen again. For one they would never be able to offer 2 for 1 when buying SC again as people would buy it when it was offered and hold it for when the expansion releases paying only 1/2 price for the expansion. Yes it was a mistake for them to offer it when they did, but if you think about it from a business standpoint it was a dumb move on their part loosing half the cost of the expansion. Plus, I think there are LOTS of other things that we can be mad at SOE about other then this.
  10. EverChanter Augur

You realize that in a week or so a triple station cash is happening? That little box to the right with those silly things called "twitter updates", yea read those sometime

We were going to run a surprise Triple Station Cash promotion tomorrow. Due to the horrible storm and our East Coast players being impacted we are going to move that promotion to this upcoming Sunday November 4th. We normally do not announce these, but under these conditions we decided it was the right thing to do.

Smed
    Retweeted by EverQuest
  11. Cakeny Augur

If they wanna shoot themselves in the foot, who am I stop them?
  12. artofnoise Augur

Since we have annual subscriptions that last though next spring, there are lots of other things to do with existing content in EQ. That is of course assuming that the pre-paid subscriptions will continue to be honored. That may sound like an absurd idea, and I would agree, were it not for the astounding maneuvers that SOE has pulled in the last 1-2 years. *sigh*
  13. Leerah Augur

I figure this last 3x SC promotion was to see how many people would still buy it even though it has no practical value.
  14. Leerah Augur

I intend to never pay again for a subscription. Trouble is, I bought 2 yr subs. (before SOE turned dishonest) and therefore am paid up through March of 2014. A lawyer would point out that my contract was made before SOE changed the terms. They DO have the right to change terms for the future but they have no right to change the terms that I paid for already. If I asked for a refund (they won't,) or did a chargeback, they would ban my accounts.

*.Lee of Povar
  15. Vouivre Augur

Careful Lee, it is now in the forum rules that you can't even insult a company, especially SOE anymore. Seen messages actually get removed for it.
  16. Leerah Augur

Yeah, I got one thread removed after I quoted the legal term I was told applied. 0.o