Bristlebane Day - The Gift of Laughter

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ishtass, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Khat_Nip Meow

If it's not showing as completed right away you can always check it by sending the achievement link to yourself. eg.,
    ;tell yourserver.yourname <CTRL-Left Click that achievement's icon>
    Clicking the link you just sent yourself should show it as marked off.
  2. Gumby Augur

What an awful task to actually spend time on. The people at DBG simply have no clue on how to make anything enjoyable anymore.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Abazzagorath Augur

Yep. It is pretty awful.
  4. SpamFactory Augur

when placing the painting in your house the maximum size you can expand it to is enormous.

right clicking on a placed painting gives an interaction option to "stare into madness". clicking this makes one of the several laughter sound effects from PoM play.
    Ishtass likes this.
  5. Ishtass Augur

The Gyrospire clickie trick worked for me. Took 4 zones to do it. The mechanics of this one boggles me, glad it's over.
  6. Stormfire New Member

Zoned hundreds of times and tried things suggested here, nada. I'm guessing since April 1 has been and gone, so have the chances of completing this.
    Xanathol likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This finished now? Didn't get the chance to play yesterday
  8. Mukkul Augur

I did this successfully April 1 with multiple characters, but I do not know if it is still active April 2. Zone back and forth between any two zones until you randomly receive the Gift of Laughter buff, then zone once more to be granted the achievement. I also tried to make the supposed "viral" nature of the buff work, but had no success with that.

Code:
    [Fri Apr 01 21:18:04 2016] You have entered Ak'Anon.
    [Fri Apr 01 21:18:05 2016] You let out a hearty chuckle.
    [Fri Apr 01 21:20:05 2016] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
    [Fri Apr 01 21:20:21 2016] You have entered Steamfont Mountains.
    [Fri Apr 01 21:20:21 2016] You let out a hearty chuckle.
    [Fri Apr 01 21:20:25 2016] You have completed achievement: Bristlebane Day - The Gift of Laughter
    [Fri Apr 01 21:22:43 2016] You have successfully been granted your reward for: Bristlebane Day - The Gift of Laughter
    [Fri Apr 01 21:22:55 2016] You say, 'Painting: Haunting Laughter'
  9. Qulas Augur

I wasn't able to play yesterday either, and this morning wasn't able to get this either this morning.
  10. Shmid Journeyman

Was this a one day only thing? Spent hours zoning back and forth between different zones and never got it. Was going to try again today, but if it's not possible be rather po'd.
  11. Tobin Augur

well if it was a one day event it was not told to us, the customers. Way to go DBG, another example of poor CS and game design. I'm sorry but the tide has changed in my view of this game. I have 16 years 179 days time on my account. I don't appreciate the way DBG has done it's CS since the takeover. Please change your direction while you still can - Let's keep the game alive with better communication with your customer base.
  12. Rondor Augur

I think it's over for this year for this achievement, because at least two things happened shortly after the stroke of midnight real-world time at the very end of the day on April 1, 2016, DGC time zone:

1) I was logged in on a character who had the Gift of Laughter buff still on it, while sitting in The Nexus. The buff counter had just recently refreshed after zoning in. Around the midnight hour the buff disappeared and a firework with the Bristlebane symbol went off from the character (my time zone is 3 hours ahead of DGC's):

Code:
    [Sat Apr 02 03:02:27 2016] You have entered The Nexus.
    [Sat Apr 02 03:02:29 2016] You let out a hearty chuckle.
    [Sat Apr 02 03:02:41 2016] A Mystic Voice says 'The portal to Velious will become active in three minutes. Please begin gathering in the portal area.'
    [Sat Apr 02 03:02:47 2016] You cannot remove this effect.
    [Sat Apr 02 03:04:01 2016] You light a firework. Weeeee!
    [Sat Apr 02 03:04:18 2016] A Mystic Voice says 'One minute till teleportation to Velious. Please be prepared to step onto the teleport pad.'
    Other characters who I had camped out with the Gift of Laughter buff on them, had the same thing happen to them immediately after logging in: the buff disappeared, firework emote, and firework happened. Prior to this, if they re-logged in with the buff still on them before the midnight point on April 1, the buff didn't poof / firework didn't go off.

2) Around the same time, people who zoned into the Guild Lobby stopped being turned into "simpler" illusions by Bristlebane. People who were in zone prior to the midnight point retained their illusion, but new players zoning in after that did not get the illusion.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

April Fool's day stuff is generally just one day. I think that the 2011 one is the only one that lasted more than a day. Mostly because people got all pissy the first year they did anything for it.
  14. roguerunner Augur

It's not a new precedent, there is that one you could only do on christmas day too wasnt there?
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Bristlebane painting, when super-sized, looks like an Orwellian "Big Brother" propaganda portrait.

I hope this achievement returns next year.
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Will this be activated again this year?

Bumping this incase the flip needs to be switched with the possible Frostcrypt patch.
  17. Thunderkiks Augur

You can actually get this achievement any time of year if you know someone who has the painting. When it's placed right click the painting and stare into the madness. After several attempts you will be ported to Shards Landing at the unfinished portal. You get the achievement when you're successfully ported.
    Ishtass likes this.
  18. Imak Augur

Define 'several'. Not being aware of any teleport effect of this painting, I just clicked "Stare into the Madness" 60 times and didn't port anywhere.
  19. Riou EQResource

Anywhere from 1 to like 200+ depending on how RNG likes you :p
    Vdidar likes this.
  20. Swiss Augur

Can confirm right clicking painting inguild hall and stare into madness for about 5min until it ported to shard's and gave the achievment, cannot say whether it works all year as this is 4/1.