Bonus XP for Christmas/New Years?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Neztah13, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

liveitup1216,

Prathun said there would be an xp bonus this weekend. He didn't say what day and time it starts and ends. Also, how much of a bonus. We also don't know if there are any other events planned for Frostfell and New Year's.

In past years, Daybreak has actually given us a full explanation of what events to expect and when. This year that is lacking. We got two posts on the main website that gave limited information. None of it was about the xp and faction and rares bonuses.

I've asked Daybreak privately and publicly for a full disclosure. I find it strange that we have to beg for something they should be shouting to the world. Most companies want their customers to know about special events. Special events tend to bring back players to the game and encourage people to subscribe and purchase items, which equals money for Daybreak...
  2. Cyrris Journeyman

Prathun also didn't say this weekend, he said next weekend. I'm assuming he meant this weekend, but still, it would be nice to know exact dates and times of these events. I won't hold my breath.
  3. Prathun Developer

Double Faction and Rares: Fri. 12/16 @ 10am - Mon. 12/19 @ 2pm.
    Double Experience: Fri. 12/23 @ 10am - Mon. 12/26 @ 2pm.
    All times are Pacific.
    I believe our marketing folks will have an announcement for any planned event(s) that may or may not occur in celebration of the New Year, so I will not steal their thunder.

Happy Holidays!
    Fanra and Jenarie like this.
  4. Crackers Elder

Not to sound ungrateful, but can't the double exp go through Tuesday the 27th? Many of us have Monday off in observance of Christmas since it falls on a weekend. Ah hell, I'm greedy and want to grind exp all day Monday instead of just half a day. Help a brother out?

And happy holidays to you guys too!
  5. Oozo Journeyman

I agree. Due to Christmas falling on a sunday most businesses that give 2 days off for Christmas are doing Friday and Monday.

Please let this expire Tuesday 12/27 @ 2pm
  6. Oozo Journeyman

And reduce the cost of exp potions in the marketplace. In years past it was common for it to be 50% off or more during Christmas.
  7. griever New Member

Between work and family, I'll be lucky to have 10 minutes to play on that weekend. Maybe next year!
  8. MabbuPhinny Augur

Yeah Monday off here.
  9. Prathun Developer

Bonus events often change from year to year, and usually at the last minute. It really depends on what marketing and management want to get behind and also what promotions and new items we might have for the marketplace and also what other games at the company are doing for the holiday (especially EQ2) because that simplifies the message if similar games are doing similar things at similar times.
    At any rate, had I revealed earlier in the year what we'd be doing for bonus weekends during the Frostfell and New Years holiday season, it would have been a guess... and it would have been wrong. We definitely do discuss, on a semi-regular basis, what the best way or ways would be to get the info out about upcoming in-game events - our current methods are a shotgun approach of one or more of the following, depending on what we have the resources to commit: in-game alerts, Facebook posts, website articles, e-mails to those who've opted in, and Tweets. We are always looking into additional options to more easily message what's coming up and when, because we're all in agreement here that There Must Be a Better Way(tm).

Thanks for reading. :)
  10. Ghostpro71 New Member

Hope hope that they extend the bonus xp until Tuesday. I have off work on Monday. Think of all the xp! :)
  11. Oozo Journeyman

Thanks for the explanation and elaborating.

Prathun can you please discuss with the powers that be about extending the Double exp from Monday 12/26 @ 2pm to Tuesday 12/27 @ 2pm? As several people have already said many of us are off all day Monday.

Thanks!
  12. vardune Augur

It would be nice to see the Double EXP run from December 23rd until January 3rd. With the new year hitting on a weekend and Christmas landing on a Sunday most people will have the following few Mondays off. Common it cant hurt and only help the community relations and bring much JOY to the EQ TLP player base. After all it is the time for giving and much joy.
    Oozo likes this.
  13. kain200 Elder

I heartily commend the above posted idea of simply linking the two exp weekends into one single awesome holiday exp extravaganza! Family commitments are going to dominate most of this weekend and some of the following new years weekend as well. If instead you just linked the two and made the entire week a bonus xp week for the holiday, it would give everyone a chance to at least jump on and get a few days here and there to enjoy the double exp on their own schedule.

Though since this is unlikely to happen, at the very least please follow the above suggestion of extending the bonus weekends to end on Tuesdays instead of Mondays. This would at least be a huge boon in that so many players will likely only be getting that single Monday to play.
    Oozo likes this.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

My comments were not directed toward you personally. I appreciate your letting us know what you can. I just feel that Daybreak should let us know these things, because it helps Daybreak as well as the players.

I'm aware of the time and effort it takes to do anything at all.

While I'm sure that Daybreak would like to use all the social media possibilities mentioned by you (and there are more), I understand that doing them all takes too much effort for your limited staff.

However, I don't see a reason that Daybreak can't pick ONE method that is always to be used by whoever puts the events into the game and then tell us which method will always be used. Then, if Daybreak has the time, they can go further and spread it to other media. At least that way, those of us who care know we can just check one place every so often and know what to expect.

In the past, the News and Announcements section of these forums was a perfect place. For some reason, Daybreak decided to discontinue this and instead post them at https://www.everquest.com/news

While not optimal, at least that way works, especially when it also shows up on the patch program when logging into the game.

But for these events, someone didn't even take the 5 minutes to make a quick post at everquest.com/news. While I know that a nicely formatted post can take much longer (I work on web sites, I know that everything takes forever), a bare post without fluff is better than no post. I'm sure we would all forgive Daybeak if the post looked poor as long as the information in it was correct.

Thanks for reading our concerns and posting what you can.

Your post giving us the dates was the kind of thing we need. It is a shame that we got the information about the Double Faction and Rares after it was over. But now I can alert my guild mates, wiki visitors, and blog readers about the double xp coming up.

Thank you.
  15. Gremin Augur

Servers going down in 13 mins as I write this. Just turn it on after servers come up today.
    Fudude Abides and Oozo like this.
  16. Trevalon Augur

I have to agree. With all the server problems, instance problems, claimsgate and everything you would REALLY gain some goodwill back if you just turned on the double EXP and left it on through January 12:00PM January 3rd.

Right now you guys could use all the good will you can get with everything that has happened. Just do it.

As it is I wont even get to take advantage of double exp cause I am doing stuff Friday, Sat, and Sunday lol.

I told my wife about it and her first response was: "Why would they do things like that on the days that people are spending time with their families?"

It just doesn't make sense.
  17. Warlorf Augur

To be fair to those with families (most of us) the Sunday will be wasted on most. I agree with others in respectfully requesting the bonus just carry on to New Years. That way everyone gets a fair shake.
  18. TarewMarrForever Augur

I second this, we should have the XP bonus for a *MUCH* longer than 3 days, 2 of which are going to be spent with family. My wife will murder me if I log in on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, and I travel home (flying) much of the day before Christmas Eve. So basically I get a half a day Monday. Big whoop-ty friggin' do. 3 days when 2 of them are holidays is really lame. How does that compare to last year? Or the year before? That'a rhetorical question...
  19. Jenarie Elder

I realize it must be disappointing for the bonus not to fit your schedule but please consider this an opportunity to be thankful for having family you can spend time with on Christmas. I am sure many of us who have all the time in the world for bonus xp this weekend would gladly trade you places.

Look for the bright side. If you look there will always be one.

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend no matter what you have planned!
  20. justasub Journeyman

it would be nice if you guys could give some of us that boost we need to get up for new exp release
    merry xmas DBG