Black Screen / Reboot

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Groglar, May 21, 2015.

1. Groglar New Member

Whenever I play EQ within 5 minutes of loading into the game my monitors lose signal go black or my computer reboots. Its ONLY EQ. I can play Crisis, Battlefield 4 or any other game on max settings with no problems.......
  2. Jetboy Lorekeeper

Something similar is happening to me as well since this last patch on May 19th. I've played EQ on this laptop for about a year now, sometimes 2 sessions at once. After latest patch after about an hour my laptop just shuts down as if it's overheating, which I suspect is exactly what's happening. This hasn't been happening with other programs running all night even, just with EQ.

This last patch did state they changed the characters load settings and I suspect the change somehow overclocks some CPU's or some such nonsense.

Is anyone else's computer/laptop running hot all of a sudden or also shutting down unexpectedly since this patch?
  3. Sarkaukar Augur

Not enough info, such as detail system info (dxdiag)

For Groglar though, computer rebooting is likely due to a system error and by default most systems are setup to reboot instead of getting a BSOD. Suggest disabling auto reboot on system error first.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

For Jetboy, by default EQ is setup to run on one core and depending on system will peg out that one core. For systems with turbo boost, which increases power to fewer/fewer cores to increase their speed and is only meant for short bursts, not to be sustained for extended periods of time.

It is possible yours is heat related, especially with a laptop, with its small/enclosed area and generally a very passive fan control setup (fans not rev'ing up enough til high specific threshold has been hit, usually too late by then if gaming).

1st Can of compressed air to clear out dust build up on heatsinks.
    MSI Afterburner to at leaset take control of GPU fan.

Set EQ to run on all cores
    Start Launchpad but do not hit play
    Click on advanced tools/cog at the lower left side of screen
    Click on Open Game directory
    Locate and open eqclient.ini with notepad
    locate CPUAffinity0 = 1 and change to -1 (neg one) Do that for each CPUAffinity line.
    If only one line but you intend to run more than one instance (2accts) at one time, add another CPUAffinity1 = -1

Add vsync=TRUE to eqclient.ini to cap FPS at 60, OR lock FPS in-game Alt O, Display Tab, Advanced Button, set Max Frames/Background Frames per Second slider to a lower setting.

Last alternative is to disable turboboost. Set to 98% if 99% does not work for you.
    http://www.tautvidas.com/blog/2011/04/disabling-intel-turbo-boost/

Also, if systems has a Nvidia card, Nvidia settings, Power Manage Mode - set to prefer Max Performance to ensure Nvidia card is being used all time instead of built-in gpu in the CPU.
  4. Cien New Member

Exact same problem here. Screen goes orange or black and pc reboots. Only happens when playing EQ since the patch.

Tried all the recommendations above and it's still happening
  5. guado Augur

Maybe you're getting scanned for 3rd party software since Daybreak has explicit permission to do so now? It's weird that EQ would cause overheating while other more graphically and processor demanding games would not.

Interesting.
  6. Groglar New Member

Tried all the above and it still does it within a minute of being logged in... Yet I played Witcher on Ultra and BF4 on Ultra for almost a hour each without a hiccup....... If ANYONE has any Ideas please let me know :(
  7. Groglar New Member

Windows recovered from a unexpected shutdown and this is what details show me.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name:BlueScreen
    OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID:1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode:116
    BCP1:FFFFFA8008FC0010
    BCP2:FFFFF88005EE881C
    BCP3:FFFFFFFFC000009A
    BCP4:0000000000000004
    OS Version:6_1_7601
    Service Pack:1_0
    Product:768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\052215-8736-01.dmp
    C:\Users\PC1\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-11466-0.sysdata.xml
  8. Sarkaukar Augur

Groglar, is this the first time you are playing EQ? Are you logging onto the Rage server? If so, try another server, do you get similar results?

How far do you get into the game? Server select/Character Screen/completely into the game?

If you are playing in Full Screen mode, alt enter to go into windowed mode if you are able to get into the game. You can then resize the game via Alt O, display, video button.

Would you also post the top section of your dxdiag (Win Key + R, type in dxdiag, save file, open with notepad). Just include everything from the top to just past the sound card.

Also, while the Launchpad is up, click on the advanced tools (lower left), open Game directory, locate eqclient.ini, open with notepad and paste the contents here.
  9. Aghinem Augur

BBC code 116 often relates to Video Card & Driver issues. If updating the video driver doesn't help, you will need to do temp checks to make sure your box is not overheating which can be monitored with cpu-z and gpu-z which are both free.
  10. Cien New Member

So frustrating. I managed to pretty much play all day yesterday on Ragefire no problems then log on today and crash every 10 seconds. What the hell is causing this?
  11. Aghinem Augur

This has nothing to do with this particular thread.
  12. Cien New Member

How is another user reporting the exact same problem as the thread starter unrelated to this particular thread?
  13. Aghinem Augur

I read your post & the OPs and they come off different. OP's PC crashes regularly when he tried to play EQ; you managed to play Ragefire all day then today suddenly have a crash problem and give no real specifics, hence my conclusion its unrelated to what the OP is going through.