Best way to powerlevel from 85-100

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by kinadafz, Oct 3, 2017.

1. kinadafz Augur

I checked out Almar's guide, but it is more for returning players / the actual leveling path.

I plan to purchase a heroic toon and power level them. I can make a full group to powerlevel, or, I can just use 1 or 2 toons to mass pull / kill.

Almar's guide, and many out there recommend Gribbles. But, if I take my 105 in with the 85, the mobs will scale to the 105, and I feel it will not be as fast as I could do mass killing.

so, what I was was thinking is taking the toon to a heroic daily adventure, or a gribbles, whichever I prefer (if the dailys are hard, then I'll skip them). Right before the last hail, I'll pop one of the 10 given xp potions, then campfire to a pre-determined location for mass killing for the rest of the xp pot.

I generally can do one HA, pop lesson, hail, then do the first gribbles in the 30 minute lesson, so that is an option also.

I figure I'd go to the hot zones for the mass killing.

So, assuming that is a good idea, here is what I have at my disposal for the killing:

105 war
    105 monk
    103 zerker
    104 mag
    102 bard
    new 85 shaman

The war is my best DPS and the best tank (EoK weapons, not raid, but rest of the accounts don't have EoK and are basically TDS Tier 2-3 geared. Bard is just junk).

What would be the best group makeup for maximum xp to the shaman? Would all 6 in the group be ideal, or just the war / shaman / cleric merc? I'd prefer to have the cleric merc and have the shaman just sit there soaking up xp and not healing, but, I can set up a hotkey that spams heals on the shaman if needed.

I have to be careful with the war and pulling though as the merc likes to run away when I pull 20 mobs sometimes. Any tips?
  2. 22wplkj Lorekeeper

From what I heard the easiest powerlevel method is just have the lvl 85 tag along with your group in EoK. Frontier Mountains maybe?
  3. kinadafz Augur

I only have EoK on my warrior right now. I will upgrade when the new expansion comes out for pre-order, but until then, I don't have it. I'd like to get the shaman up in the 100's by the time the pre-order comes out actually.

Ideally, I'd be able to get the Shaman to 100 with 10 xp pots, or, 5 hours play.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

Brothers Island has always been a hot spot to PL toons along with HA's of course. I use to do The grounds until about level 90 but that is when it was a hot zone. Valley from high 80's until low 90's use to be good but again this was a hot zone. This was faster than doing HA's. I would avoid anything from ROF expansion even though the content is fun imo but the xp is horrible. COTF zones are basically going to be HA's. You can try tempest and katta although I think you will find BI will be better than either one of these zones. Maybe the shissar camp in katta might be ok for a couple levels and they do have some nice drops especially the quest fangs.
  5. Parker Elder

For me nothing beats the xp can get from charm kiting with the person being powerleveled just sitting in the group...if lesson is running...camping in and out at kill time yields most efficient results OR a super high dps group with constant pulls in current xpac...talking like 20-30 seconds killtimes. I don't see how you beat that. However...I'm super bored of charm kiting and I don't like being that guy in a group that has a tag along that doesn't contribute as much....even if my main is.

So I'm leaning towards trying pleveling via the fellowship shared xp route. Haven't tried this route yet to comment on its viability but it should allow you a fast xp return if your main xp sharer can generate it fast. Also has the benefit of you actually playing the toon being powerleveled to reap those xp returns.
  6. kinadafz Augur

That fellowship xp is new to me and interesting. So basically, I turn on xp sharing on my warrior, and turn it on my shaman, and kill for a long time. Then, the shaman gets a vitality bar filled up; either logged in or not. Once full, he kills one mobs, bam, whole bunch of xp comes through.

I can also do this while online and in same group.

This idea is way cool.

If I have two 105 rooms sharing xp along with my 85 shaman, will the shaman get double the bonus xp from both 105s?
  7. Aurastrider Augur

The only thing to consider is your other toons will gain less xp if they are sharing. Basically they are giving a % of their xp to others. This is not an issue if you have toons that are maxed (although you need to make sure you keep from being 100% and max AA I believe for this to work) but if you have toons you are still trying to evolve I would not suggest leaching xp from them unless you feel giving it to a lower level toon will serve you better.
  8. Parker Elder

What he said. My bard is over com AAs and very diminished returns at this point so don't mind losing or sharing his xp. Few corrections...iirc you don't get all that stored xp in one kill...there is a cap per kill iirc but its like up to 5x per normal kill and 3x more if its going to AAs. So gotta kill more mobs until that stored xp is used up...to your liking. Don't believe any xtra xp that is generated via lessons...has...hotzones...apply to shared xp. But nothing would stop you from running lesson on that toon at the same time reaping the stored xp...after the fact.

Some of this is conjecture on my part as I've yet to do it. Tbh if my toons were separate accounts and trouble I would just group the toon....only reason I'm considering it is because th3 toon I'm trying to bring up is same account as my boxed mage. Bard mage combo kills quick enough to store up some xp for the toon I'm trying to bring up. if there is some reason its hard or a pita for you to sit that heroic toon in a group this would be good...otherwise I'd sit in group and mass slaughter.
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

That is not quite how it works.

For vitality, you turn on share, yes.
    Any character that is "sharing" will "give up" a portion of his earned XP, that is distributed over all other fellowship characters taht have "share" enabled.
    (In-.game message: "you have received vitality from your fellowship" )

The idea behind this mechanic was originally to allow people that play less often than their in-game friends not to be "left behind" too far, but enable them to "catch up" and close the "gap" faster.
    Therefore, when you actually PLAY the level 85 character, you turn "share" for him OFF.
    Until his vitality is depleted, then you can turn it on again (but it's a neglectable gain until you XP some with him being offline again).

There is a cap on how much of a bonus per kill you can get from vitality.
    So no, the low character does NOT get all that stored vitality in one kill, but over many.
    (I never cared to time it, but it wasn't too long a session taking it from "capped" to depleted - maybe an hour or so, but certainly depending on your killspeed too)
    On regular XP i have no clue how it translates, but on AAs the cap is 5AAs per kill.
    So if you get that many from vitality alone (which you do the first minutes after being capped), save your lesson - you won't get any benefit (at least when on 100% on AAs) - until you "only" get 2AAs per kill from vitality alone.

If you can "drag him along" in your box crew, all the better - in that case, forget about fellowship sharing and vitality.
    (but forget about him healing the warrior for some time to come, so you want to use a healer merc in that crew you listed and bench some other character)
    If however you prefer to play 2 or 3 at a time of the above and with their mercs, then by all means enable share.
    Your 102+ characters will level somewhat slower if ALL are set on share, but the bump for the offline characters is usually "worth it".
    What i would probably do is:
    Put your two 105 characters and the shaman on "share" while the others are on "non share", until they too are level 105.
    Parker likes this.
  10. kinadafz Augur

What I'm thinking is the following:

Group the following:
    105 war
    105 monk
    104 zerker
    104 mag
    85 shaman
    gold cleric merc

It is my understanding fellowship share does nothing for xp reward at the end of a HA. So, do a daily HA, no share activated. Pop experience pot on shaman, do final hail, then campfire to a camp that I'd want for my mains to finish up lesson.

Then, go to a hotzone appropriate for level, turn on sharing for war, monk, shaman, and slaughter. Cast AE on mag, assist to kill on others. If I find myself too slow on assisting, i'll remove a character or two.

It is my understanding the xp pots and fellowship sharing do not stack, one overrides the other, am I reading that correctly? Is that the same as hotzone experience? Meaning, does fellowship sharing xp override the hot zone bonus? if so, i'd just go to whatever zone I can mass slaughter in after the daily / gribble mission.
  11. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

What I would do is swap the shamn for bard as you wanted, get the the 80/85 daily teek kill task, go knock it out, should yelid the shaman 10 % if not more per zone. Then go to HoT since you are doing a heroic toon set a camp fire and grab all of the aug quests for their type 7’s. Port to gribble and grab an HA do it, med up pop lesson then hail. /kickp task the group zone out grab another HA knock ot out after hail campfire to HoT and mass slay for the exp on shaman and get the stuff for their augs.

This works if you know you can do a full gribble is 15-20 mins.

After the augs are done I would just go to other HA’s if the daily is decent. If not find a place like shards landing where you can work on tear of alris and farm decent gear/tradeskill stuff to sell or use. Should be able to pull 4-5 mins in SL easy and tons of mobs there also!
  12. Aurastrider Augur

Xp pots and modifiers stack with hot zone xp. Pots also stack with bonus xp events. So if it's double xp and you have a 50% pot you will be earning 3x xp compared to normal.
  13. Stephsanity Augur

I PL 85 to 95 in 6 hrs in FM HS on ranger the rest is a hour a level
  14. Stephsanity Augur

oh forgot 104 and 105 is about 2 hrs each
  15. gotwar Gotcharms

Lots of good ideas here!

I present to you, in detailed format for all to use, the tried and tested Lunanyn 500:

Why Valley of Lunanyn?

Ease, safety, and speed. After dozens of tests (and competitive races to 105) across multiple zones (outside of EOK), including Brother Island, DH HA's, and Neriak 4th Gate, and a variety of methods (SK Swarm, Charm Kiting, Ranger Headshot, AE groups, shroud PL, among others), Valley of Lunanyn is the definitive PL spot for 75-105 outside of EOK.

On Test, the Valley of Lunanyn method holds the record for fastest PL, at just over 4 hrs from 25-105, with Valley beginning at 75. The consistent flow of easy to kill mobs on the tier 2 side of Valley provides the fastest, safest XP pre-eok. Please be aware that Test has 100% xp over regular ruleset servers, so your time to 105 will vary appropriately.

Why is it called the Lunanyn 500?

As the map below will show, it's because you go fast... and turn left. Just like Nascar!

The Method:

This works with any of the three tank archetypes, but is best with a Shadow Knight or Paladin, with SK getting the edge. This is due to the ease with which SK's and Paladins can quickly clear the Valley without the need for a healer merc. Healer mercs suck XP from the group, so not needing one increases XP gained. That being said, it works fine with a healer merc, it's just a little slower.

Whenever possible, always PL with as few members in group as possible. Preferable setup is PLer + Plee and nothing else.

If doing this with a Shadow Knight, simply chain mortal coil procs and pull groups of 20+ mobs at a time. No cooldowns, defensives, or additional tricks are needed. Keep going fast and turning left! Enjoy the OPness of the SK class (even after nerfs!) on your "journey" to 105.

Paladins do the same thing, with smaller groups.

Warriors (and other classes with Riposte type discs) have the unique-ish option of pulling the entirety of the T2 side of valley, popping burns + riposte disc, then waiting 30 mins for riposte to come back up. If using this method, camp out the PLee to save Lesson/XP pot timers. This is slower, but allows for more lazy PLing.

If you are a well-geared Warrior, you have the option of doing this without a merc using Pain Doesn't Hurt + other defensives. You can pull swarms of 20 and kill them without taking much damage, then sit for a few seconds to regen back up. If you'd rather pull more consistently and safely, pop a healer merc and go to town. Just be sure to swap between passive and reactive on the merc so it doesn't pull aggro and die.

The key to completing the Lunanyn 500 is to keep moving and pulling mini swarms. It takes some practice to get used to the pacing and to learn your own character's limits, but once you have it down it's easy (and pretty boring).

Here is a handy map explaining the Lunanyn 500, along with a few notable camps. There are plenty of mobs between these camps, these are just the money shots, so to speak. They are also a great place to pause and kill your mini-swarm. Take note that Named NPC's spawn throughout Valley and if you end up running into one, it's recommended you stop what you're doing to kill it. Some of them have obnoxious effects like knockbacks or blinds that will *Halfling* your *Halfling* until you *Halfling* die.

[IMG]

The red line indicates the path to take on the second pass around the valley, after everything in the inner oval is dead. The poorly drawn black line represents the outer lip of the Valley.

What if I Want to Go RIGHT?

Then you're not doing the Lunanyn 500, and will get no XP and are probably a gnome and will surely die a terrible death. Also, you smell bad.

Disclaimer

I do not advocate PLing. It is much more enjoyable to play the game. PLing is not fun and will put you to sleep and/or slowly kill your soul.

Please do not use DH HA's. This is a smart alternative to DH HA's. Friends don't let friends do Gribbles.

If you own EOK, FM goblin camps are faster than the Lunanyn 500. They also allow a more diverse range of classes to PL. Any class capable of soloing mobs without a merc can quickly PL in FM. EOK XP is dumb.

Credit to Axefall of Xegony/FV for showing me this method long ago.

Enjoy!

Handy Tinyurl format to easily share with your closest friends! http://tinyurl.com/dontdogribbles
    Gyurika Godofwar and Funk like this.
  16. Aurastrider Augur

I am curious if this has been tested since they started rotating the hot zones. Valley was the hotzone from VOA for a long time giving it an xp boost. Is this still the fastest route when not given the hot zone xp modifier?
  17. gotwar Gotcharms

Yes. I didn't start using Valley until after rotating hotzones were introduced.
  18. Kolani Augur

105 ranger(s) and a tank/healer at lower goblins in FM is the absolute best way, but you're missing the ranger. We did a returning friend 82-95 in right at an hour and half the other night.
  19. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Depends. As a paladin I can PL someone from 85 to 100 in a few hours in chapterhouse, but that is clearing the entire zone. If I can lazily (without trying, just running from mob to mob) get 100+ aa on lesson there (can do closer to 200 if I really "tried"), doing the whole "log in alt with lesson on for pull, then camp them back out, and wait for respawn" should level real quickly still.

But EoK experience is insane if you have decent dps.
  20. Phrovo1 Augur

I've found running circuits through the kos part of Resplendent Temple (upper floors) to be pretty good xp for 90-95, especially if it's the daily