Best way to gain defense/weapon skills after powerlevelling?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FearlessTeapot, Jan 28, 2013.

1. FearlessTeapot New Member

Any ideas? Should I just get a group together with merc Healers, find a way to keep agro with the character in question, then let some.light blue mobs wail away for a few hours?
  2. Raptorjesus5 Augur

If you have a cleric friend they can cast a reverse damage shield on you, but really that's about it.

I made an alt that wasn't even powerleveled and found it impossible to keep skills up to date when you ding after 3 or 4 kills in a hot zone. Your best bet is when you hit 51 to turn AAs on until your skills have caught up. The longer you wait the harder it becomes.
  3. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

beat on some ones pet in the arena
    Sinestra, Synthemesc and Shanaie like this.
  4. Shanaie Lorekeeper

This.

I've PL'd a lot of characters and my mages have been worth their weight in gold. Necro, Shaman, beastlord, and even Enchanter pets work too (especially with the AA that makes them controllable) but it has to be in an arena/PvP area. /duel doesn't work (or doesn't work nearly as consistently as just standing in an arena).

If you want to avoid other people (who might prey on you while in the PvP area), pick a city that no one goes to and use its arena. Kaladim, Qeynos, Thurgadin (well, maybe not Thurg anymore), Neriak, are all alternatives to the Arena zone. I group the PL'd character with the pet class (who has summoned a pet that is at least blue to the PLee), have the PL'd character pop their healer merc, then /pet attack on the pet class.
  5. FearlessTeapot New Member

Thanks for that, was my main concern. I tried /duel and it wasn't working.
  6. Uxtalzon Augur

If you powerleveled to just under level 90, easiest way to spam up defensives is pull about 10-20 "relatively weak" mobs from the Buried Sea expansion, like Katta Castrum or Jewel of Atiiki.

To work up offensives and weapon skills, beat on your own healer merc in an arena.
    moogs likes this.
  7. FearlessTeapot New Member

The characters are mostly low 60s, as I'm stopping to stay AAd. I have a 90 SK that I am swarming with, knocking out AAs with the lower leveled chars. Do you think i should wait till around 90 to work on the defensives?
  8. jarsh92 Elder

I did defense on my mage and wizzy with /duel. Just make sure they pet cons green to the person you are attacking and you should get the skill ups. Left my bard in group too runing regen songs to make sure the pets didn't die (mainly wizzy swords). Next morning maxxed defense. ;)

Also, be kind and pick an old zone and do it in a corner so you don't bother anyone.
  9. jarsh92 Elder

Thats a great idea, never thought about trying this.
  10. Derfael Journeyman

I've never had an issue with mage or shaman pet not working for this. Just make sure you're not in a zone that doesn't allow dueling like PoK and I would use a pet that is at least light blue to the toon skilling up. Also if you 3 box or more, have everyone in the same group. Have the 3rd toon not involved in the duel pop a heal merc. The heal merc will then keep both the pet and the toon skilling up indefinitely or till merc oom (just don't use reactive).
    Wikkyd likes this.
  11. FearlessTeapot New Member

Would it be feasible to square two people off against one another with healing mercs, assuming they were the same level? Or would they eventually kill each other? In this case, a bard vs a druid. Edit: With a third bystander grouped, also supplying a healing merc.
  12. Nenton Augur

The skillups only work against pets/mercs, not player vs. player.

One other trick is to duel in the guild hall so you can load up on activated regen abilities/duration heals that won't fade. That way you can leave merc on passive as they get huge regen each tick and don't need any extra healing.
  13. moogs Augur

This even works while the merc is on Passive. Much nicer than kiting a bunch of wolves in Icefall Glacier as a warrior with /autofire on to skill up Archery.
  14. Talif Augur

Just make sure to position the merc and then set yourself as puller or the silly thing will come running over to you and you'll be too close to use ranged.
  15. Haegar Augur

Find something green and beat it down. Might take forever though.
  16. Silias McKendrick Augur

Depends on class/lvl. Find zone with green mobs, have cleric merc on reactive and just
    let em beat the hell out of ya. Skill up weapons and dummy in ghall.
  17. Sinestra Augur

/duel works just fine. Have used it for years and years.
  18. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I assume you mean to also use a pet, because just attacking in a duel won't raise skills.
  19. Grummy_NB Augur

Cipheron in walls of slaughter has always my been my fav place to do skill ups, throwing, hand to hand.. and such.
  20. Sinestra Augur

Yes that would be with a pet obviously.