"Best" tank for group content.

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Freaper, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Brudal Augur

Only if the 6 ranks of hastened are bought (10% per rank), base is still 4 minutes.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

Gear/skill more important than class.
  3. Gumby Augur

Not really. Some classes don't take anywhere near the knowledge (skill) to play them at a high efficiency, while others take a massive amount to really play well.

Someone with an easier, my forgiving class (Warrior) will play better than a knight that knows his class very well. Knights aren't easy to get the max out of them, but Warriors can be on equal or greater levels with minimal skill just because of the nature of the class.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Posts like the above make me really look forward to the day D.Prof gets nerfed or handed out to Knights.
  5. Zarakii Augur

ive seen a sk holding aggro from extremely high dps groups without dropping below 90% mana or using the mana leech aa and tanking the best a knight can in group content (pulling 20 mobs like nothing in BI) forgive me for not believing this he has mained a sk for 10 years and after 55k aa its pretty well known he can kick at it but the same can be said for warriors just because its easier for them to do things in the group game doesnt mean they are easy mode when trying to survive for 5+ minutes timing things to the wire or else you're dead and warriors are THE tank class in eq so the times they really shine are tanking big massive hitters nobody else can. Point is every class takes devotion it just sucks when we see a time in eq when something may "seem" easy and everybody jumps on (( the flavor of the month )) happens all the time until you really see those classes and what they can do when they KNOW what they are doing
  6. josh Augur

There are no classes in eq that are easy to play at their maximum potential but there are definitely classes that require less skill to be average. Being average as a knight is harder than being average as a warrior. Picking a warrior basically lets you focus less on the tank so you can do more with the other boxes.

Saying that though, paladins and shadow knights are way better for group content. I'm raid geared so my experience is a little different but i don't even need a healer anymore. I run with a bard and a shaman and do 3 wizard mercs and pretty much ignore the shaman these days because of usasium. Thinking about replacing it with something else, we'll see how hard TBM is i guess.

As far as leveling goes, paladins are great because of stuns. Especially since they boosted the level cap on them. Again, it requires a lot more attention than a warrior, but if it's stunnable, and it can't one round you, you can tank it. You could still have trouble with named though.
  7. p2aa Augur

Completly wrong.
    You base your opinion on an mitigation standpoint, comparing the mitigation of a knight and a warrior
    Which is absurd, and is in no way a way to judge the skill of a tank.
    The difference between skill of various warriors is showing in raid on how fast you are able to grab aggro, how good you are to survive to the raid boss hits when you aren't anymore under defensive disc and then using accordingly your other survival tools, in a lesser extent how good your aggro is (yes some warriors don't manage to put more aggro than players pets, and in aggro meter the highest aggro is a mage pet or so, or loose aggro to some dps players easily). And it's a comparison between classes you need to make to see the skill of a player.
    And believe me, there are various ranks of skill between warriors when you watch all of these parameters in raid.
    A warrior good or very good in all these areas is really a golden ressource to the raid.
    Thash likes this.
  8. Coronay Augur

Yeah but thats at the top end of knowing your class, your examples are all raid..... What he was saying (I think) was like a lvl102 warrior vs a lvl 102 knight in a gribble HA. The warrior can be pretty naive about a lot of the technical warrior AA and skill and still rock and be good. That SK/Pal is gonna have to be lifetapping, splitting mobs, doing spears, stuns, group heals, know a lot more about the timing, pay much more attention to incoming damage, maybe switching out bandolier sets.
    Gumby likes this.
  9. Gumby Augur

Exactly. The end game raiding is a completely different animal and everyone will need a certain thresh hold of skill to be able to complete whatever assignment they are doing at any particular time.

Basic group stuff where you're just blowing through HA's or Questing and even most missions, a Warrior doesn't have to really perform well to get the job done. A Knight is going to have to work much harder and know his overall spell/disc abilities to a greater extent to keep surviving.
  10. p2aa Augur

Group content challenging for knights ?
    Raid geared knights told ya yet they don't need any healer merc to kill group content (and i have seen a raid geared knight pally of my guild doing it), while a raid geared warrior still needs a healer of some sort.
    So a group geared knight will require maybe a healer merc, but they will require less heal than a group geared warrior, with their self healing tool that is way better than a warrior. At worst, it equals warrior defensive proficiency, and both tanks are equal in mitigation result. Before, group gear warriors were destroyed in group content compared to knight without defensive proficiency.
    So, before the warrior has access to defensive proficiency or NTTB, as knights have it an easier time to stay alive, it requires then more skill for the warrior to use accordingly his survival tools, than a knight.
    If the OP is doing group content at his own rythm, he won't have acess to lvl 100+ content right away, and there will be a large section of group content where the warrior will mitigate less than the knight, outside a 3 min timeframe of defensive disc usable every 7 min 30 but good luck being efficient doing group content waiting for this disc to refresh.
  11. Coronay Augur

From my experiences in TDS/CoTF/Gribble this is false.

when my warrior was doing progression in grp gear. other grp geared knights got destroyed starting in degmar. I could handle up to 5 tier3 degmar mobs in grp gear and a knight could barely handle 2. In CoTF/HA's grp gear warrior could handle a single mob w/o a heal and be like 75% hp. a knight will pretty much always have to lifetap/heal in that situation as their incoming damage is a lot higher.

In burden of the past grp mission in degmar, theres waves of 4-5-4 then the boss wave, when I first did that mission my warrior was level 101 and in CoTF grp gear. I had no CC and was able to tank every wave. a level 101 SK/Pal won't be able to lifetap/heal and make up for the raw mitigation power in that situation.

you start off your post using raid geared players as examples and then by the end you say Welll he may not even be 100+ for a while. War's get defensive prof at 85 and before that its not like they are really super squishy, a healer merc will keep em up in like what, all of the content pre-85?
    Xeladom likes this.
  12. Ghubuk Augur

p2aa has shown all along he has a hate on for knights.
  13. Warpeace Augur

Fair and Balanced, no hate there...its true because someone posted it on the internet.
  14. p2aa Augur

There was a time not so long ago you had a few posts of group gear warriors suffering of tanking problem, before Defensive proficiency was put in game. It's lvl 85, but it was available during COTF, so when lvl 105 was the current one. So it was not existing at all until lvl 100 + was the current lvl in EQ. Thanks for listing us some tanking story with Defensive Proficiency and No Time To Bleed on lol, but it proves nothing on how group gear warriors were doing when these didn't exist.
    And how many players were you boxing with your warrior ? For sure you were not alone with a healer merc doing all of this.
    Group gear content is doable by any tank class, providing he has the AC/gear / AA requirement needed (so work on your AC augs etc). It include knights.
  15. p2aa Augur

Nice try. But no.
    I don't like seing though a bunch of knights (mostly SK) on these boards whose only posts on these boards show complaining their class cannot do X,Y,Z and want more and more...
  16. Coronay Augur

I don't know what posts you're talking about cause I didn't make this warrior until last January. Well after the Def Prof and NttB.

And ya grp gear content is definitely doable by any tank class I agree.
  17. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

so is chanter box a bad idea because I'm supposed to be tanking multiples?
  18. Coronay Augur

Chanter box is awesome. keeps things under control.
  19. Coronay Augur

Plus enchanters ain't bad DPS... sure they're no real wizard or anything..

/Praetor Ledalus Thaddaeus in 97s, 13959k @143906sdps ---

#1 Enchanter 3960k@(53512dps in 74s) [28.37%]
    #2 Wiz Merc (Burn) 2963k@(32205dps in 92s) [21.23%]
    #3 Wiz Merc (Burn) 2634k@(28023dps in 94s) [18.87%]
    #4 Wiz Merc (Burn) 2485k@(27015dps in 92s) [17.81%]
    #5 Coronay + pets 1917k@(19759dps in 97s) [13.73%]
  20. Linden Augur

All three do well and stand out in different ways. I cant really speak on the mechanics outside of the Paladin class, but the only issue that can be frustrating with my paladin is AE taunt, aggro ability, or lack-there-of.