Best Bang for Buck on Gear?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Korzu111, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Korzu111 Elder

Hi All,

I have a 60 Paladin and a 60 Druid on the Mangler server. I wanted to get some opinions on what to spend my platinum on. For background, I pretty much exclusively do dungeon crawls — Charasis, Old Seb., etc. I don’t have time to raid as most of my play time is weekend early mornings or odd hours here and there.

I’ve recently finished preparing the Druid for Luclin — got him Improved Healing 3, Improved Damage 3, Burning Affliction 3, and Mana Pres. 3. The Paladin isn’t as geared though, but it looks like it costs more to gear him better.. Velium Encrusted Gauntlets and Boots of the Storm and similar would run a lot and I’m not necessarily sure I’d feel the improvements. The Pally has 460 AC and 4700 HP buffed.. unsure just how good or not that is.

I’m unsure where I should put my money, or if I should change it up. I don’t really feel like I can’t heal my Pally or he can’t tank group content. Part of me is thinking of selling the Idol of the Underking from the Druid to find better Pally gear, but I am unsure. I don’t want to get into Luclin and find that I could really use the extra healing from it and find its price jacked up a bunch.

The point is, I’m unsure of where to go gear-wise. I’ve spent a couple hours in Kael Drakkel trying to find some no-drop pieces, but haven’t found a one yet. Seems horribly boring.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks All.
  2. Baldur Augur

That's actually a great time not to be a raider and you can still have decent gear.

You already mentioned some of the tradeable raid gear (others would be Mithril Helm and Massive Dragonclaw Shard), so if you can't afford that then I would save your money and buy a full set of blue diamond cultural when Luclin drops in a month.

The blue diamond cultural is very nice for tanks. It will probably be expensive though.

There's also some very good group gear in Luclin, mainly Loyalist Shield of Honor, a 50 ac back/shield item. You can buy the hardest part of the quest as well, the Vampyre Volatilis Ashes, and now that you can see the item lore on the inspect window, there will be no scam artists trying to rip you off by selling you the wrong ashes.
  3. Chuuk Augur

I've found that you typically steer yourself towards (4) main criteria as it pertains to gearing on Mangler:
    1. Buy gear that is roughly 3-4th best in slot. They usually have roughly 10-15% less stats, but are normally 1/10th the price. (1) BIS item is usually useless if you're wearing it with a full set of banded.
    2. Spend money on big AC items first --> BP / Legs / Shield etc. 1kpp spent on a better BP will get you maybe 4-5ac where that same amount on better boots might yield 2-3ac. Obviously, this varies.
    3. Buy gear that is heavily farmed by botters - i.e. seahorse hide belt.
    4. Going off of #3, try and unload gear that will be easily replaced by highly bot-farmed gear in the next expac. This was evident by the RBB/RBG price plummeting about 1 week into Velious when people were nearly giving seahorse belts away.
    In your case, I would spend something like 75% of my plat on the paladin - his gear is more important.
  4. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Buying a bunch of tank gear prior to SoL is a big trap for a bunch of reasons.
    You don't really need anything more then Fine plate to tank if you aren't raiding
    You get a whole bunch of AAs and new OP stuns
    All those dropable tank pieces like Boots of the Storm are gonna drop in price come SOL when raiders get new raid drops and flood the market with them
    SOL has lots of good drops for tanks from the group game and Blue Diamond Cultural comes out examples http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=12143 BD stuff
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=7348 group drop 35 ac back slot

I would buy the Crown of Narandi if it's cheap. Otherwise just wait. You won't need good gear to tank group content until PoP
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

In luclin everything in Griegs end is super common and eventually costs next to nothing.

Greaves of obscurity are great and probably the most common legs for a bit.

Ring of lunacy, absurdity... both great and the former will be 10 plat or less. It rots all day long.

Sell all your velious gear before it's too late.