Best 65 group-named solo class?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by koook, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Communist Puppy Augur

SKs mitigate enough damage with decent gear+ defensive aa's for them to be able to out lifetap how much damage a mob does. With discs you are healing north of 200hp/second, and with your mitigation you are taking less damage then that.
  2. PhinTank Journeyman

SK > Wuoshi

Let me know when I can watch that enchanter try it.
    vanvittig likes this.
  3. Strawberry Augur

No class is going to easily solo named, unless you're overgeared. So the assumption is already that you're overgeared for the named, since you somehow can take it down solo, which is not how EQ is meant to be played.

Assuming that you're overgeared, an SK is going to be one of the better classes to take on a named,

-AC scales very well with named, HP does so far less. You want to bring down the DI part of the damage, high AC does wonders there.

-FD. It gives an SK the chance to test the named. Classes without FD can't even try out any named, you get one shot at it, or need to get lucky with gate. You're just going to end up at bind a few too many times and throw the keyboard at your screen.

-Taking on the named single. Rarely are named just standing there on their own, an SK can actually single out the named thanks to FD.

-Lifetaps. Lifetaps combined with high AC work very well.

See, but now you're asking a second question that is completely different from the first. Now you're no longer asking which class is good to solo named with, but which class is good to solo with.

Just because a class like an overgeared SK is good at taking on a named, doesn't mean they are a good class to solo with, they're not particularly good at soloing

(until 15 expansions in, where SK become a solo machine due to their DS / Lifetaps / Coil, where you can take on a whole zone of blue cons for AA, but we're talking classic-PoP atm).

A necro / mage / beastlord is much better at straight soloing trash. But I wouldn't want to solo summoning named with a necro.
  4. Scornn Elder

Shadowknights and Enchanters are going to be your best "Solo" class at the moment in pop, with the heal pots available I can knock out any named in BoT that isn't the MoTM tower nameds. Sure sometimes RNG screws me and i'll eat a death but that doesn't happen too often.

Ultimately it comes down to how well you can play your class, your reaction times, and the gear/aa you have. Scrubs aren't going to be able to solo trash without dying frequently, while the opposite holds true for those players you see soloing nameds you wouldn't think possible.
  5. PhinTank Journeyman

Definitely got better loot off wuoshi than the bad bot wing mobs :p

I played a chanter during kunark and was soloing seb king at 57 and almost soloing queen in chardok (33% solo a month into kunark)

Those are things that only a chanter could really do. The gear and AA are so absurd now though. My sk can tank much better than a charm pet.

As long as the mob hits for roughly 1000 or less, plenty of good sk won't have an issue.

I soloed the last f2 mob I tried (flame overlord). But I'm sure rampage is easy for the chanters to deal with.

P.S. those non motm bot wing mobs people bragging about. Those are all SUPER easy to solo.
  6. Dioc Lorekeeper

Let's say you pick an SK to take on named mobs but have no intentions to raid for gear. How does that affect what I can solo with self bought gear?
  7. Strawberry Augur

Well, you simply won't be able to solo most named if any. Certainly not ones that offer upgrades.

Group gear has far less AC and HPS, so your chance of surviving are really low unless you pick on named below your own progression.

It's especially true early on in EQ, where raid gear far outstrips group gear, later on in EQ developers wisened up and group gear became gradually better, closing the gap, but it happened over years.
  8. Strawberry Augur

Well, you simply won't be able to solo most named if any. Certainly not ones that offer upgrades.

Group gear has far less AC and HPS, so your chance of surviving are really low unless you pick on named below your own progression.

It's especially true early on in EQ, where raid gear far outstrips group gear, later on in EQ developers wisened up and group gear became gradually better, closing the gap, but it happened over years.
  9. malaki Augur

If you want to do it in bazaar junk, you'll pretty much need to play an enchanter.
  10. Illusory Augur

Well, it depends on your gear setup, AAs, and knowledge of your encunters. You may have to get creative to take some enemies down. I think with a well-rounded character, you should able to kill prior expansion (or earlier) group named.

To have a shot at anything in era, you'll want raid gear.
  11. Venur Lorekeeper

Well I'm not familiar with TLP server but if they don't allow merc I can tell you that BL soloing is really, meh.

I had a BL with epic 1.5 back in the days it was something and either you send your pet and keep all of your mana on slow and heals then it take age to kill anything or you go toe to toe then have big downtime to recover after the fight (or if your dam well raid geared its not that bad).

As for named forget it if your not OP geared.

Without raiding gear I don't see anyone soling named beside chanter and even that wouldn't be really efficient.

But chanter are probably the fastest EXP soloer in PoP if you invis-cancel and its nearly without risk compare to normal charm tactic. (PoI is insanly fast EXp for them). Bard are good also with charm.

Best EXP I had in PoP was full caster group kitting but I doubt the game have enough player to see this again.
  12. Kahna Augur

Beastlords are a lot different then they were back in the day. Pet changes mean we can melee while our pet tanks, though I tank much better than my pet does. Over all increases in player power mean we do more damage and tank better than we did back in the day. Instances mean getting raid gear is easier than it was back in the day. Celestial healing X pots make healing a breeze compared to back in the day.

Back in the day is nothing like it is today, you can't really even compare the two.

P.S. Open world PoI is perma camped by AE groups. It is nice to pop in instance once a week. My 65 BST can clear a PoI instance solo in just over 3 lazy hours, though I do leave the factory alone. I go through less than a stack of heal pots as my only source of healing. Really only need them on the big ooze. It is pretty much zero risk netflix watching exp.
  13. Illusory Augur

I think Rogues may have you beat. :)
  14. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

And druids. Forever largely useless.
  15. Adonhiram Augur

Sure, because they hit hard, not because they summon. Mage is probably the only class which doesn't care if the mob summons when soloing. As long you don't have higher aggro than your pet and you are able to keep your pet alive, you are good.

Mages used to solo hard hitting mobs -mobs hitting so hard that you couldn't keep your pet alive (by your own line of healing spells or AAs)- by chain summoning pets, known in the old days as "pet chaining". I haven't done this on TLPs because I box at least with my druid for heal support, but not sure if that is still possible with the nerf of the aggro system where a portion is transferred to the pet owner even on non MotM mobs (mages, noticed how when pet pulling and calling your pet back, the mob sometimes has you on target ? That was not the case before). You might get summoned even without damaging the mob yourself if at some point your transferred aggro piles up and becomes higher as the aggro of the fresh summoned pet. But pets taunt decently on the other hand, I should try that one day and do some experimentation :cool:

It will probably be possible again when TLPs reach the DoDH era where mages get the gargoyle secondary pet. The idea is to always have either gargoyle or regular pet on the mob so you never are first on aggro list. Of course you don't touch the mob yourself, no debuff, no nukes. Eventually only a DS on the regular pets. You nuke at the very end on the last pet. Mana pool is the only issue here.
  16. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

You could read this thread, or you could just note that MoveFastRZ repeats: SK. In this busy, workaday world, who wouldn't choose option #2?
  17. malaki Augur

He's talking about doing it in Bazaar trash. SKs are very gear driven in terms of solo ability on difficult mobs. A bazaar geared enchanter is not nearly as gear dependent, if charm breaks during a named fight you're likely dead either way.
  18. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

He'll have to play 16-20 hours a day. It's in the EULA.
  19. Tennas Journeyman

By leaps and bounds, your responses are the most entertaining on these argumentative, whiny forums.
  20. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

I try, I try. I was on hiatus, but they flushed me out of the thicket with the Agnarr announcement. Mothers, hide your daughters!
  21. Dysaio New Member

As me remember in later game, as GOD - OOW launch SK was only able to solo greens? Or them still be good at soloing at later expansions?