Best 2 box with a Necro

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Moardots, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Moardots Lorekeeper

Recently got my Necro to 60 and have some spare time between raids/farming and been thinking about starting up an alt. Been asking around and thinking myself about what would be a good class to eventually box with my Necro and thought I'd ask here for some more opinions. Most people have said either Shaman Cleric or Bard but curious to see what others think.

Also I've been told I can make the char on my current account and if I decide to box it later I can pay to have it transferred to a different account. Is that correct? If so how much does that cost?
  2. Finley Augur

I had fun on Ragefire with a necromancer/druid duo. I don't like playing Everquest without a druid or wizard of my own until later eras though.

Druids have a lot of easy to obtain DoT clickies, so they pair well with necromancer for root/rot tactics.
  3. Srslynotimpressed Journeyman

Bard with a necro was super fun. Opinions are of course subjective, but I thought they complimented each other incredibly well.
  4. Moardots Lorekeeper

See I really like the sound of the Bard. However it concerns me a little bit not having any heals. Bard would be super sick for kiting stuff with permanent selos and mana/hp regen songs going for the necro. But I feel like Bard would be less ideal in a dungeon or tight quarters where a healer would be more useful. Such a hard decision :(
  5. EQcleric Elder

Another necro.
    Nolrog likes this.
  6. Srslynotimpressed Journeyman

You're absolutely correct in that regard, it isn't as optimal where you can't fully utilize the bards ability to help kite. Though in those situations, there is typically a different melody set I can play, let the necro pet do what it has to (the bard can slow also) and stack bard dots. Again, not as optimal, but still super effective - and you have solid CC ability.
  7. Moggman Elder

short term(vel/luc) - druid - dbl root/rot ports heals regen etc
    longer term(pop and up) - bard - selo's cc fading memories pulling abilities
  8. Rumlebrag Elder

shaman for sure... heals/buffs for pet (tank if needed) slows (this one is huge) dots (they are quite good) canni = high mana regen to keep up with a necro
  9. DariyaVika Augur

The bard benefits you in a dungeon by making sure you're getting single pulls easily. Since bard dps isn't very good, you can use the bard to pull and to supercharge your necro. mana/health regen songs plus singing dots and you would be able to cast a lot more dots over time.
  10. Archess Elder

I would also say Shaman, slows, heals and a buffed up Pet the necro has its own mana regen and the Shaman counters it with Regen + has Cani to recover his own mana.
  11. Chuuk Augur

You're going to need slows and some sort of CC. Heals are nice, but a necro can handle that to an extent.
    Shaman would be my first choice with my second being another necro.
  12. DariyaVika Augur

Shaman can also sow you, so no need for jboots :)
  13. fransisco Augur

Bards are not good pullers in luclin. Also, come pop they won't be as good as people think. with no ooc regen, the new mana cost for fading memories means thry cannot pull full time. Also, outside of over haste song, they cannot boost melee dps much, and can do nothing beyond mana for casters.

Play what will be fun today,not possibly in a year.
  14. Rhaage Augur

Shaman was a very typical box for necro's in earlier expansions.

The slows, heals, regen all aligned very well with necro abilities and made for a very strong duo.

I've heard (but haven't confirmed) that about level 80 to 85 ish, the mobs begin mitigating slow consistently and the shaman looses ground slightly against a druid as a 2nd.
  15. Kiani Augur

Slow mitigation becomes a big factor from PoP onwards, but that isn't a big factor with a duo.

You don't need to pet tank a mob with a necro, there are other ways of soloing, and shaman or druid both fit in well with that as a duo.

I agree with the person who said play what will be fun today. Who knows if you're still going to be playing in 6 months time!
  16. Poydras Augur

For necros they also bring hp regen songs which stack.

They also have tracking which is kind of a pulling advantage. Not to mention its use just for farming, the primary necro pasttime.

Still, I'd vote for any kind of healer first. Even a cleric would make a great box for a necro.

Other dotting classes are kind of an annoying box for a necro though. You want to stack in the dots early (same goes for debuffs like slow), meaning you want to cast multiple spells from both characters at the same time. Of course I'm presuming no unmentionable software is used.

Another great partner is mage. Surprised no one mentioned it. Potentially a better partner than a healer depending how you want to play.
  17. Kiani Augur

That's not really that hard. Kick off a dot on one toon, then move to the other PC when the first one is casting, you can alternate that way, as long as the mob is under control.
  18. Aenoan Augur

Shaman makes really the best box for necro long term, and yeah its even easier than that.
    Long term shaman / necro box is amazing.

If we look at the long term, you get some amazing buffs such as; HP, Regen, SoW, Puma and debuffs like malo, slow, FC dots, a stronger snare and an aa snare with a knockback component.
    Not to mention the fact both classes have a res (shamans a bit later) but a shaman is probably one of the better/best solo classes because w/ aa bearform or bearform the spell, you can psuedo tank.
    Plus two pets.
  19. Rhaage Augur

this can be made easier with in game socials:
    /pause xx, /cast slow
    /pause xx, /cast dot1
    /pause xx,/cast dot2
    /tell MainCharacter push next hotkey
    etc.

and set up audio triggers for the key ones wearing off / etc.

definitely a good option for fear kiting / aggro kiting, possibly if pet tanking, probably not so much if root-rotting.

And as for cost and transfer: the best answer is "maybe", the cost to transfer a character to a new account is $25 but the TLP's have been less consistent on what transfers are or are not allowed than live servers, account to account transfers also are dependent on human interaction with a CS rep who verifies that you do indeed own both accounts (names, birthdates, credit cards used, etc.). I'm not saying it can't be done, but you would want to do a good bit of research to make sure you have your ducks in a row before leveling the alt with the expectation you can move it to a new account.
  20. Beastro Augur

I box a shammy with mine and they work really well together. The only problem I find is the Necro self buff doesn't stack with shaman hp buff while druid doesn't. Glade is really good and the Stam Buff can't compare.

That said on top of what others have said about about the utility of Shamies, slow allow a Necro to effectively tank mobs when you solo, and they will given the weakness of pets as well as the the aggro dots give you. This though meshes well with the HP focus necros work on compared to other pure casters, the only change is trying to mix in a bit more AC items, which is why the nerfed fetish from Velks is a very good ranged.

On top of that they mesh well with charm by maloing pets allowing charm to break less, something Druids can't really help out with besides maybe casting ensnare on charmed pets to allow for less of a problem recharming, but that pales in comparison to malo.

I have no problem doing that and don't use macros. It's just a simply process of flipping between windows (I use Splashtop to emulate WinEq windows as much as possible) and go down the list of what you want from first to last. Only issues I've ever had with that is when slow doesn't land a few times necessitating the Necro life nuke a few times to keep his health up.

Regardless of which class you pick, expect Bard really, Necro also works to help them out, since it will be the Necro that is always doing well with mana and you'll find yourself helping out twitching the other box. For Shammies thats window flipping doing two canni clicks between one twitch.

The only problem I could see with a Bard is that you'll be splitting your attention more between the necro and Bard, while with a Druid or Shammy after dotting, it's just a quick flip over to redot to tap a heal on the Necro.

Also keep in mind that you won't be exp soloing much and it also helps to keep in mind what groups will be looking for to get them to accept a Necro in group, which often they aren't so hot on. I've heard Shammies aren't in demand much, but I don't see it, they're often sought to focus on slows to allow the chanter to focus more on mezzing and handling their charmed pet. In comparison a Druid is in even less demand with groups than Necro, Bards sometime aren't unless no chanter is around, which means you'll be needing most of your attention on that box. I don't know about how desirable Mages are in groups, though given the eternal love of Clerics and Chanters, it might be good to box one for that reason, even if neither is optimized to work well with a Necro boxed.