Berserker or Monk

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Kurisa, May 8, 2013.

1. zomb54 Lorekeeper

At least you can see with either class you play you'll develop a sense of humor.

Now I play both. 86 zerker. 81 monk. Both around 2k aa. I find I'm a real jerk when I play my zerker, and kinda nice to other ppl on my monk. Probably due to survivability and not wanting to mess around / take chances.

I had been reading alot about how poor monks are lately. I just got my monk to 81, and I must admit that once I got him here I said to myself, "I don't remember my zerker being this awesome." I can do anything on the monk and I am completely fearless. I like to riposte swarm on both, but I find I'm liking the monk more.

While the zerker puts out big numbers on the crits, I find it doesn't compare to being as solid a tank as a monk. The dynamics are very different too. I been playing since 1999. As a monk I can feign flop to any mob in a dungeon, no matter how deep, and molo it. And the only other class as awesome as a monk is a ranger, but for different reasons.

hope that helps.
  2. Lykurgus New Member

I play a Berserker and what i've seen I would pick a monk. I hear folks say that Zerker's can off tank, but that's a lie, I get beat down bad. IF there is a monk or BST in my group they usualy do the off tanking. Zerker's are really weak. DPS? Yea we have DPS, but all the other DPS classes can do more much damange. I would of thought a Zerker would be the top DPS class, but we are not. I was grouped last night with a 87 BST. He did a crit for 8.9K with 1 hand weapon. Most I can do is a little over 4K with a 2 hander. Though he was 2 levels higher then I, still I should doing better and I have almost 3K AAs and the BST had little over 1K AAs. Pick a Monk. Zerker is a wimp!
  3. Ishtass Augur

If you pick your class based on the flavor of the week, you'll be continually disappointed.
    Zzlaarr, silku and Kelefane like this.
  4. Brosa Augur

If your decision is based on how fun you want to have playing the game I personally would say Monk. I enjoy splitting/pulling with the ability to toss out some decent dps. Those who say zerker probably get tons of fun out of high dps and could care less about what utility they bring to a group. Thats why all zerkers currently see therapists do deal with the lack of dps they are putting out.
  5. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

My therapist's name is Dr. Jack Daniels. He listens to me more than most.
    Zurd, Sinestra and Insaneox like this.
  6. Slasher Augur

Nah we just have wizard alts :)
  7. gcubed Augur

It is kind of hard to say, depends on what you consider "fun".

One thing to think about though: Whatever is true about the classes NOW, most likely won't be true a year from now. The game changes a little with every patch.
    Sinestra likes this.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Berserkers have more utility to a group/raid than monks do and can do at least as much DPS or more. With that said, as others have pointed out we've got boosts recently that have made us a good bit closer to Zerker's DPS, and we do have a clear edge in survivability.

To OP, play them both for a while (like 20 or so levels, takes that long to really get anything that makes them different other than weapon selection) and then decide which is more fun for you.
  9. Slasher Augur

ill let someone else throw gas on the fire of that reply :)
  10. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

Xianzu,

Please let all of us know what utility the berserker is bringing to the raid/group while the monk is tanking, pulling, CCing, and healing himself.

-The Rest of Us
  11. Ishtass Augur

War Cry / Cry Havoc. I'm starting to realize there's lots of crying abilities with zerkers.
  12. Behelit Augur

yes warcry, the lowest HHE in game with the largest recast.... how on earth did we forget about all that massive utility that comes with the worst HHE in game with the longest recast?
  13. Ishtass Augur

Want to talk about Fists of Wu?
  14. Behelit Augur

because Fists of Wu has anything to do with you saying Warcry is this big utility?
  15. Brogett Augur

It's really quite simple IMO.

Ignoring for now everything other than dps, consider how that dps is dealt. Let's start with a flat baseline and then think about how we could modify it.

1) How about being rooted? It's a severe penalty, so should be rewarded with higher dps.
    2) Hits reduced from one angle? Then increase them from another - backstab
    3) Takes a while for dps to build up and slow down rather than just being on/off switch (necro dots) - then it should be good duration dps.
    4) Requires massives amount of support from other classes to reach max potential - so max ought to be pretty hot.

Obviously there are other major factors - utility, sub-roles, survivability, etc. But it's pretty obvious that if you have some penalties somewhere then you should be winning somewhere else.

The above explains why necros should be higher duration dps than mages and wizzies, and on the melee side why rogue/berserker should be ahead of monks. Not to want to nerf monks - they needed a boost - but we need one too now.

Edit: the difference though shouldn't be huge. In the past there have been too large gaps between dps classes. We really all ought to be within 10%-20% of each other, with the focus of burn over duration (etc) being minor rather than a factor of 2 or more.
  16. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

War Cry, because Bards don't like to hit Quick Time?
  17. Slasher Augur

maybe someone can parse war cry and cry havoc. It would go a very long way to show just how much utility it is.
  18. Ishtass Augur

It's a lot more than Fatbuk's comment about our utility: "tanking, pulling, CCing, and healing himself."

In a group game, these exist, in a raid game, who are you trying to kid?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

Who are you trying to kid by thinking there isn't usefulness in things outside of raids? I love how you are downplaying the usefulness of your class. Would make me wonder why you'd even play it at all.

And, back to the War Cry, do you need it for the 40ish% of the time that your self proccing HHE 15 (3x better than WC) isn't on you?
  20. Ishtass Augur

You're right, guilds don't even consider it.