Berserker or Monk

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Kurisa, May 8, 2013.

1. Kurisa New Member

I just came back to the game was wonder, which class would be more fun. I use to have a rogue but i dont know if u want to go that way again. Please let me know what you think and help it will help me choose class so i can have fun play everquest once again
  2. RagePaw Augur

Low level zerkers were just poor warriors.

Monks tank very well in the lower levels, have feign death and dish out quite alot of dps for the level. Monks also just got a nice boost so they could be a good bet.

Having said all that, as with all class balancing the best class changes every 3 months so i would personally pick the one you like the sound of the most.
  3. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

Currently, monk. In 6 months, who knows?
  4. sojuu Augur

Personally I have always loved the monk class the most, but to each its own. When monks were hurting I almost went zerker but now zerkers are hurting. As fatbuk said in 6 months who knows.
  5. Thrillho Augur

I did a restart about 3 years ago when I returned and picked a monk. They were hurting up until a month or so ago, but they were still fun to play.

(Raid geared) I've been able to tank in the end-game zones, even able to complete most partisan and mercenary tasks with just a healer merc. Now that we have a DPS boost, this is considerably easier to do. I can't comment on how other monks fare with this, especially group geared ones.

Aside from that, it's also very difficult to kill a monk who's paying attention. FD is huge for us and kept me from doing many a long corpse run in my earlier days.

I can't say pick monk over zerker, as I haven't played a zerker. But monks are definitely a fun class to play.
  6. Gragas Augur

If you want DPS, utility and survivability pick the monk.

If you want DPS, no utility and no mitigation pick the berserker, you will get to decapitate trivial mobs if you can tank them later on though..
  7. Recnarp Augur

Before last patch - Berserker

After last patch - Monk
  8. Tunks Journeyman

wizard mage or necro to be 100% honest with no sarcasm
  9. Kelefane Augur

You know, I have never understood fair weather fans when it comes to classes in this game. Its a lot more respectable if someone just picks a class and sticks with it through the good times and the bad times. Ive only played two classes full-time in my entire EQ career. SK and Monk, and both characters are over a decade old, and they remain my favorite two classes in the game today. The Monk is my alt/box and the SK has always been my main. Both of my classes have been through some rough periods and then some good times etc. It makes you appreciate the class a lot more when you stick with it. It also becomes your identity in game and what people know you by.

Anyway, this isnt aimed at you at all. But just some general thoughts that I have had lately. I know that there are a lot of players out there that immediately hop on the next "hot classes" bandwagon when it occurs and roll that class up. To be honest, its kind of sickening to me.

In the end, pick a class that you enjoy playing. Dont just pick a class because its the "flavor of the year". That is picking a class to play for all the wrong reasons. The game is a lot more enjoyable if you play a class that you enjoy playing.

So to the OP: Pick a class that you personally find desirable. Dont let others pick a class for you. You'd be better off and you would enjoy the game a lot more. Trust me ~
    Xnao, Zzlaarr and Thrillho like this.
  10. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

I didn't say to not stick with it. He asked which class would be more fun. I answered "Currently, a monk". Monks can pull / CC, tank, DPS, and heal themselves. They can do it within solo, molo, group, and raid settings. On a scale 1-5, Monks can Pull / CC - 4, Tank - 4, DPS - 4, Heal (themselves) - 2 to 3ish. Conversely, Bersekers can Pull / CC - 1, Tank - 2, DPS - 4, Heal - 1. Soloing isn't a great option for Berserkers. Molo is pretty good only if you consider going content 12 levels below max. Group is 50/50 depending on the support you have in the group, same as raid. There is less disparity between an unsupported Monk to max supported Monk, than an unsupported Berserker to a max supported Berserker.
  11. Nedrom Augur

Monk > Berserker regardless of what happened in any patch since the beginning of time.
    BoomWalker likes this.
  12. Slasher Augur

ill play wow before I play a monk.
    Rasputyn likes this.
  13. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

Fatbuk > Nedrom
  14. Sinestra Augur

Bacon > Fatbuk
  15. Nedrom Augur

Bacon > all~
    Sinestra and FatbukSlapmeat like this.
  16. Phrett Augur

17. Fenudir Augur

Bacon > 3
    Sinestra likes this.
  18. Rasputyn Elder

screm monks
    Ishtass likes this.
  19. Obiziana Augur

Monk's have been the best class in EQ since 1999... Iksar monks since 2000.
    Ishtass likes this.
  20. Ishtass Augur

If we ever see the nameless, I bet it would be a monk.