Berserker Discipline Cooldowns

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Zeatanas, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Zeatanas New Member

As a preface, I am playing on the Phinigel TLP, so perhaps this isn't an issue at higher levels, but the way some of the berserker disciplines are linked together at level 65 is perplexing.

From what I can tell, as a berserker at this level your burn consists of activating Battle Cry, Burning Rage and Untamed Rage. And then when Burning rage expires, you activate Cleaving Anger. What I find strange is that when I activate Cleaving Anger, it applies a cooldown to both Reckless and Battle Focus.

Why is one of berserkers' primary DPS disciplines tied to their emergency defensive disciplines? Other classes can activate various disciplines for their burn and still have an opportunity to use a get out of jail free card if things go south. So why are berserkers different?
  2. Brohg Augur

That you have an alternate use for your defensive cooldown, that lets you deal more damage, is a class feature.
  3. Zeatanas New Member

I don't understand what you're saying, Brohg. When I activate an offensive discipline, it puts my defensive discipline on cooldown. Are you implying that Cleaving Anger is a defensive discipline? Other classes do not work that way...

I also play a monk and am able to activate three separate offensive disciplines back to back to back and still have access to a defensive discipline. Other classes work similarly ... when a ranger activates Trueshot, it does not put Weaponshield on cooldown for instance.
  4. Brohg Augur

That the overall disc count hadn't expanded yet at 65 is ... well, frankly, that's what you signed up for with the Phinigel project. But that berserkers get a whole extra damage disc in the fullness of time, since they can cash in their defensive ability for a damage one instead, is a class feature.

When a ranger activates Trueshot, it doesn't put Weaponshield on cooldown -- but if they don't find some use for Weaponshield, it just sits there. They can't do another damage disc instead of staring sadly at it.
  5. Zeatanas New Member

Oh okay! That's what I didn't understand. So eventually berserkers will have access to multiple offensive disciplines, but it's just early on in their development so they haven't caught up in design to other classes.

I definitely did sign up for it playing on Phinigel, I was just wondering if their prospects improved in the future. Thanks for clarifying.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

I think what he's saying is you can use 1 offensive disc... then you have a choice. Use a second offensive or save it for defensive.
    Other classes have less choice. Use 1 offensive disc, then wait for it to return. The other disc is always defensive, and we don't get a choice.