(Berserker) Any guides for new berserkers?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Quik, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Quik Augur

I was just wondering if there were any decent guides for new zerkers...

I would love to really see pro's and con's to each race. Right now it seems like Ogre wins hands down with the frontal stun immunity plus the massively higher starting stats, even though starting stats may not matter later on.

Good places to level solo (if feasible) and what gear to look for. I will be [playing Mangler with a mage and I know Zerker is way down the road, but I would love a list of gear to farm and store to have ready for the zerker.

Really just a nice guide to read on how zerkers perform, what attacks they have and how to use them from early levels to high lvls.

Most things I find on them are strictly raid guides and I won't be there for a logn time and would love to learn how to play them effectively from the beginning.
  2. Brohg Augur

Funny thing about berserkers is they didn't exist until the game was mature enough that folks could be confident not to be doodling about the first dozens of levels. They came into being during Gates, at which point everyone making one could PL at least into level 50s to work on the epic, if not jumping straight to 65 for raid Shimmering Jade Axe of Vengeance. If you really feel you need to be twinking, a haste item & Reaver from Kael is all you need.
  3. Time zone Journeyman

4. Tolzol Augur

We added a TLP section to http://eqzerker.boards.net/ but no info on it yet. But by the time GoD opens on mangler it should have info. Not sure if we will have time to go through gear to figure out whats best for you but will have burn info by then. When i have time to sit down and go through everything I will do the per era burn guides since what it would be now is not the same as when that stuff was current.
  5. Quik Augur

@Tolzol - Thanx but I don't have an account on Eqzerker and I kind of already checked out the sight to find out I doubt I will. It wants my current zerkers name and server, and since Mangler doesn't have them yet I don't have a Zerker to claim LOL, plus it wants a magelo's link or something and I have no idea what that is. Appreciate the mention though.

I have been searching but really all I can find is raid and late game info and I am after the 1-50 stuff like popular race options, gear for lvling, quests for lvling to get said gear, etc. I have quite a while before zerkers will be available on Mangler and would like to start farming gear for him and get it ready so he has twinked gear to start with and to lvl with.
  6. roth Augur

Reaver, IIRC, is 40 40. When you first make your Berserker, have fun swinging a 10 40 weapon until level 10, and then a 14 40 weapon until you hit level 20. And yes, teh dmage cap goes up there, but not high enough for the Reaver, which needs a level in the mid 20’s somewhere. I do not have numbers o damage caps for 20 or beyond however.

IMO the best 2h weapon for a Berserker THAT low a level is not a slow Reaver or Blackened Acrylia Greatsword. Instead, it is the Poison Wind Censor. 20(?) 28, it acts as a 10 28 and then a 14 28 from 1 through 9 and 10 through 19 respectively. Here, it is the delay that you want. Switch to a 2hs after you get into the mid 20’s.
    minimind and ajschliewe like this.
  7. Tolzol Augur

My bad just saw this. You can still request access just list those details when you request access I’ll make sure you get it. Behelit is working on TLP stuff and will probably have the info up sometime in next couple weeks. This will be a per era guide. (We have to reparse everything since like i said things have changed since that stuff was current). The whole needing toon name and magelo is more for the raider part of the forum so we know what level of access to give people.
  8. TLP Addict Augur

Working on a list myself, will have a 65 Druid to PL the first 50 odd levels and a Shaman to switch to at some point.

Weapons
    Something fast, 30 delay or less for early levels, Ornate Rune Blade, Nathsar Greatsword, Poison Wind Censor etc.

20+ Reaver, Acrylia Greatsword, Narandi lance (req 55) or similar to carry you until you can loot a better no drop weapon.

Haste: Cloak of flames, spiked seahorse belt for budget

Belt of the great turtle in waist for atk, Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring, even if you can just borrow one to click and unlock first rank of the atk aa.

Armor: Whatever chain you can find with decent combo of AC str dex sta hps etc. Farwater scale for level 46+

Jewelry: will probably just go with standard 6/65 rings + cougar claw/orc fang/wolf fang ears to start.
  9. ajschliewe Elder

Already got all of my starting gear for my zerker, all the hand me downs from my rogue. Got the Poison wind censor and ornate rune blade to start with. And yes to start you want lowest possible delay. got war marshall's bladed staff as a replacement for 2hs until i get my epic.
  10. minimind The Village Idiot

I've written a few guides for young berserkers. One is posted on Everquest.com, another is in my raid alliance forums. They were both made over a decade ago (as evidenced by the references to the lost holy land, GoBerserker) and guide people through the first 50-70 levels of berserkerdom. I've copy/pasted the one of the guides below and linked the other above.

<Begin Guide>

So you are new to the Zerk, eh? Well, here's a bit of gathered info and wisdom I've thus far gathered in my travels and from the great GoBerserker.com

Early Weapons
    As both a young and growing zerk, you will find that there are few weapon upgrades out there -- especially if you start strong.

Some of the best twink zerk weapons are:
    • Poison Wind Censor (20/28) -- great for the first 20 levels due to the delay and low-level damage cap
    • Reaver (40/40, poor stats)
    • Blackened Acrylia Greatsword (36/40 great stats)
    You can easily use the Reaver until you obtain your epic 1.0 (which you can quest as early as level 46), but most people are bottle-necked by the Plane of Fear fight and don't get around to finishing the quest until they're into their 50s. If this is the case, a great and cheap in-between weapon is the Warmarshall's Bladed Staff (31/28). It's a great ratio and is on the sweet spot for delay.

Upgrading the Epic 1.0
    After a zerk obtains his/her 1.0, there's an automatic instinct to get the next big weapon. Sadly, there are few that compare given the ratio and effects on the Kerasian Axe of Ire (epic 1.0). Some will argue that the Edge of Envelopment has a better ratio and thus is a better weapon. Most elder zerks will disagree and point out that the EoE has a high-aggro proc and doesn't provide the 40% haste and 40 atk that the epic gives. Personally, I say "Skip the EoE".

If you're really pushing progression and leveling, I would suggest just using your 1.0 until you get your 1.5. Many zerks do this.

Upgrading the Epic 1.5
    Unfortunately, there are few non-raid weapons out there that can beat the Raging Taelosian Alloy Axe.

I used my 1.0 til I had my 1.5 solely because there were no viable upgrades for me considering the ratio, atk, and haste on the weapon. Once I got my 1.5, I pushed to level 70 and got the two DoN merchant weapons to compliment my 1.5 (the 2hb and 2hp).

I used that 1.5 and 2hb until I got the Clawhammer from Rikkukin and then recently got rid of the DoN 2hp when I got my Warspear of Vexation in Anguish.

Weapons I know of that are better ratio than the 1.5, but prior to the 2.0 in progression:
    • Diamond-Tipped War Javelin (Uqua)
    • Lodestar (Uqua+another raid)
    • Forgotten Greatstaff (Qvic)
    • Shimmering Jade Axe of Vengeance (Inktu'ta)
    • Jagged Axe of Uncontrolled Rage (Tacvi)
    • Clawhammer (Rikkukin)
    • Windfury Katana (Yar`lir)
    General Weapon Info as it pertains to Berserkers
    1. Weapon Ratio -- The better the ratio, the better the DPS
    2. Weapon Delay -- The faster the weapon, the more chances you have to damage something in a given time span.
    3. Weapon Delay and Damage Bonus -- 2-handed weapons get a major boost to damage bonus at delays 28 and 40. For the best bang for the buck, you want a weapon with as low as possible, but not below 28.
    4. Weapon Ratio and Aggro -- The faster a weapon, the more aggro you get.
    Example (using info from 1+2+3+4)
    • Weapon A has 80 dmg, 40 delay
    • Weapon B has 56 dmg, 28 delay
    • Weapon C has 42 dmg, 20 delay
    Of these 3 weapons, B would be the best choice for DPS, A would be the best choice to blend DPS and lower aggro, and Cwould not only bring too much aggro, but the super-low delay negates the utility of damage bonus for zerks (yes, despite the ratio difference). For these reasons, the Berserker Epic 1.5 (50/30) is considered superior to the Shimmering Jade Axe of Vengeance (44/22) from Inktu'ta.

Modern Note: Is this information regarding damage bonus still correct or did they smooth out the transitions?

Weapon Augments
    The best augment for any zerk weapon is the +dmg augment. Procs add much more hate per damage than pure added damage and the dmg aug takes effect every time you swing as opposed to two-per-minute with a proc. Note: Higher damage and higher ATK go hand-in-hand. If you don't have high attack relative to the mob's AC, you're just going to be swinging at air or barely doing any damage. When you swing your weapon, you want to make sure you are *hitting* the mob for as much damage as possible or you're not pulling your weight.

Modern Note: Check here for weapon augments available at your level.

Summoned Axes and Axe Abilities

Berserkers, from the very beginning, requires tomes every few levels to continue full functionality. There are 4 regularly updated tomes:

1. Tome of _____ Axe: Summons throwing axes in stacks of 20. Requires axe components of 3 different qualities. Your axes are not only useful as ranged DPS but are also reagents in your 3 axe abilities.
      1. Modern Note: Axes now summon with stacks of 100 at higher levels. Is this true for lower levels as well?
    2. Snare: 1 minute duration. Checks against physical avoidance and is thus VERY hard to resist. Instant cast.
    3. Stun: 6 second duration. Checks against physical avoidance and is thus VERY hard to resist. Instant cast.
    4. Jolt: Lump sum hate reduction. Checks against physical avoidance and is thus VERY hard to resist. Instant cast. Only useful if you stop attacking for a tick also.
    For Snare, Stun, and Jolt, certain levels of axes are required for certain levels of abilities.

Volley
    Volley is a line of Tomes that are a major DPS addition to the Berserker Arsenal. Volley essentially throws 4 virtual axes of very high accuracy and crit frequency at your target at both range and melee distance. Volley refreshes over 12 seconds and is on the same timer as the Jolt ability line.
    SoandsoForumUser likes this.