Beautiful zones and why are they beautiful?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Geroblue Augur

Now I'm confused.
  2. Whim Augur

They are both moons, Norrath has 2? I think. Drinal being the most visible, and Luclin less so. I never really noticed, just learned over time from other players.
    Dzarn likes this.
  3. fransisco Augur

ya, norrath has 2 moons. Luclin is hidden from site by the goddess luclin
    Dzarn likes this.
  4. Cakvala Augur

I really enjoyed the look of the first zone to Underfoot as well as the zones for Depths of Darthhallow were all well made.
    Dzarn likes this.
  5. Rainbowdash Augur

Yes Norrath has 2 moons. Drinal looks like earth's moon, grey, covered in meteor craters etc. This is the moon seen at night in-game. Then there's Luclin. Luclin is supposedly about twice as close to Norrath as Drinal, it also has it's own ring system in orbit around the moon (seen from PoSky and also in the old map artwork for Luclin and the in-game atlas), is significantly larger, and is tidally locked with Ro (Norrath's solar system's star) NOT Norrath (thus one side of Luclin is perpetual day, the other perpetual night, and a twilight ring between the two). Luclin is hidden from view on Norrath, supposedly by the Combine Empire, a result of what locked them, the Shissar, and the Vah Shir up there before reopening the moon to travel via the ruined spires with SoL's launch. The only zone you can see it in-game in is Plane of Sky, likely because that plane is capable of bypassing the magics used to hide it, be it because it's a realm of Veeshan, or it's "height" I dunno.

According to lore, when Luclin was destroyed before EQ2 (if you are to believe EQ2 lore, I always treat it as a separate dimension created by the rip in-time after the Plane of Time invasion was "reversed". Afaik this is the supported story behind it...but anyway) Luclin briefly became visible from Norrath (was supposedly rather large in the night sky, due to it's proximity) before exploding, likely from an explosion that started in the Nexus or close to it. Indicating whatever magic hides Luclin is likely also tied to the magics that permit spire access back and forth from Norrath's surface, thus originating from The Nexus.

tl;dr Luclin casted Invisibility but Plane of Sky said "nah" and casted See Invisible. Drinal != Luclin
    Dzarn likes this.
  6. Malachi Augur

Both nostalgia factor + the sound and feel of Southern Ro will ALWAYS be number one for me.
    The sound of the water, the ominous feel of the "specter tower" looming in the distance. Enduring the lag and unleashing the full potential of the clip plane to see the hills and cliffs in the horizons. Excellent zone!
    Then there's the populous that adds to the beauty. The sound of distressed crocodiles fighting for their lives as newbie adventurous hone their battle skills. Massive creepy crawlies making their way over the sand dunes. The unexpected undead sulking about waiting for that unfortunate soul to step close enough to be their unholy supper. And the sudden break of tranquility with an abrupt shout of red text "TRAIN TO DOCKS!"

Sorry, in terms of physically beautiful zones, the rush of memories and game experience that fill my brain just by being in Southern Ro will always trump any other pixelated scenery the game has to offer - past, present, future. :)
    Dzarn likes this.
  7. Leerah Augur

I would be comfortable living in a city like Neriak too. Except for the 'furingers'.
    Dzarn likes this.