Bazaar listing limit

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zugren, Feb 18, 2023.

1. zugren New Member

Simple request:
    Please allow for larger bazaar prices than 2 million plat on an item. Things are selling now for multiple krono, which on my server is 8m each. It would be nice to use the bazaar for anything over that 2m cap. Lots of us waste time spamming when we could simply just use the bazaar for what it was intending for.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

We used to have to sell everything in ooc at the commonlands tunnel and/or north freeport. They created the bazaar when there were too many complaints about spam.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is a system limitation and there have been many longstanding requests to get it change. They have said that there is a lot of work in getting it changed and as of now it has yet to be worked on.
    Warpeace and Rijacki like this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

This dead horse keeps getting beaten upon. Safe a horse beat a cowboy.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

shouldnt it be easier to fix now eq is 64 bit? i want bigger bags when they gonna upgrade merchant perk's? 144 x 6 still isnt enough for me.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It is a design decision. They already lowered it to 2 million from the full 32 bit limit.
  7. Kendeth Augur

It would depend on it they are using a signed or unsigned integer for it, if they are using a signed 32-bit integer then the 2 million plat limit is just slightly rounded down from the maximum value since all coin is stored as the value in copper. The 2 million plat limit would be 2,000,000,000 copper while the maximum value is 2,147,483,647.
    Rijacki and Mukkul like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The 2,147 number is the limit or something close to it. Players were manually editing files to allow them to sell items to that limit and DB changed things so that no price over 2 mil will show up in the baz. That happened 2 or 3 years ago I think or maybe a bit longer then that?
  9. Warpeace Augur

It's not nearly as "simple" as you think it is.
    Rijacki likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They had been using 64 bit variables for other things like NPC health well before the 64 bit conversion.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Sigh... the /trader window had a 2 million plat (2 billion copper) limit, where it would not allow you to put anything higher than that in. However you could edit your bzr.ini file and set it to 2,147,483,647 copper and the bazaar would sell it at that price. The Dev's went in and explicitly changed it so that the 2 million plat limit was enforced there as well.

It was 100% a design decision. The Devs have chosen to have the limit in the bazaar at 2 million plat. The change was also done within a month or two of them releasing the 64-bit upgrade, so everyone knew that 64-bit was coming.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

I dont have the link but it was stated by a dev several years ago that they could do it, but the time it would take would take them away from doing other content and they didnt think it was worth it due to that reason.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

LMAO you know thats there excuse for everything now right? Only way they got rid of the limit if it was somehow tied in with a new expansion.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

bad decision do they think nothing would go over 2m plat? even if i was on my other server there are stuff that do. Its almost like they think eq wont be around but we all know it will stuff like this they should fix in the long run.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have explained several times in the past that the amount of work involved as well as the scope that it would impact compared to the returns it would give have made it not worth doing up to this point.

Back when the bazaar was implemented in SoL in 2001 the idea 2 million plat for an item wasn't on the radar.
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

With the clarifier that when they said "not worth doing up to this point" that was like 7 years ago. It could change with time or with more people working there. And before anyone says they wont hire more, they did announce in game last night that they are hiring. I couldnt tell you much more about it because I was raiding but it seemed big.

Still if it was a choice between upgrading the graphics engine which they are doing right now, or changing the monetary system, Ill vote for graphics engine.
    Rijacki and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  17. Mukkul Augur

The 2 mil limit is nice, because do we really want items selling for more than that? It makes a decent ceiling. I see your point though. Some items have to sell for more than 2 mil, like Mask of Tinkering, and right now you can't do it in Baz. But if we raise the cap, will that upend the economy as prices grow exponentially, locking many types of items to the super-rich? I don't know.

2147483647 is a system limitation, so saying 2000000000 is a "design design" is skewing the reality that the game likely can't go over 2^31 right now. Rounding it down to 2 mil just makes sense with respect to the system limitation.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

IMO anyone that says they want the cap to stay where it is has no standing to complain about people selling in /general.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The 2 million limit is garbage and punishes people who don't want to use or deal with Krono. The Bazaar limit doesn't prevent items from selling above 2 million, it just prevents those item from being sold in the Bazaar, thus it demands that they be sold in other manners which are inherently less secure for both parties. Removing the now completely artificial 2 million limit will do nothing to the economy because everything that sells for more than 2 million plat is already being sold for more than 2 million plat. People have always been able to trade more than 2 million plat. The prices are growing regardless. The literal only thing that will happen is that people will not have to sell things by Krono, and people will be able to buy Krono in the bazaar/barter again rather than going on about it in the chat channels.

They only started preventing the increases of the bazaar prices after they announced that they were going to be changing the game to 64-bit in the near future. They have explicitly chosen to leave it there well after the change to 64-bit. This is 100% a design decision, the system limitation was an excuse to have the normal limit set that way, not for them to limit what a person could set it to that the came could support at the time, or the active refusal to change it at this point well the removal of any system limitation.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would agree with that.