Baz price scripts are getting out of hand

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sindace, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why not just set it to that price now and not worry about a min and max price? As your price lowers towards the min prices others will just keep undercutting you. Eventually it will hit your min price and they will still be undercutting you.
  2. Laronk Augur

Oh like I said before, I sell cheap already personally because I think the UI is bad and personally I swim in plat from normal play. If I am low on plat I just go farm good plat drop places or go farm mats people already need in /buyer. I was just thinking of a solution to the problem of the thread.

Honestly it's probably mostly players updating often while they work from home and such.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And if that is the case it wouldn't be bots updating the prices.
  4. Angahran Augur

How do they update the prices ?
    Don't you have to manually change the prices and be logged in to the trader ?
    And wouldn't they need to be continuously running searches for all the items they are selling ?
    This should be simple for DBG to spot.
  5. Schadenfreude Augur

It's just as easy for them to spot as all the other things on the "list" that can get you suspended. I would be very, very surprised if many people are automating their bazaar trader(s) and not using other scripting crap to get the items in the first place.

On FV I knew a few traders that belonged to well-known raiders that you now very rarely see in trader mode as many of the things they used to do are too risky now.

If only we could get rid of the PL for RMT spammer as easily.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Just thinking about this all, it seems to me that anyone having their bots set to update their prices at the frantic rate that is described here would be immediately flagged simply due to the fact that they would be constantly doing searches at a rate which would not be maintainable by an actual person.

Additionally, the constant bazaar search calls to the server would be flagged as suspicious and a nuisance. I mean the bot would be cycling through 100 to 144 items searching the entire list and repeatedly, determining the lowest price, and adjusting their list price. For a person this would take a fair bit of time, but a bot would bang through it in no time. It would be something that the Devs would have already decided to crack down on.

I'm more in line with those who think that most of these are just people who remote into their home PCs from work or elsewhere and randomly update the big sellers and high plat items regularly. Not saying that there are not people using scripts to do this, but I don't see it as being profitable enough for the risk.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

If you undercut others by a tiny amount you have no standing to complain when someone instantly undercuts you. Make a big cut or go home. Its just silly to see two people undercutting each other by a copper, and then getting steamed about it!
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Schadenfreude Augur

I'm not going to include a link and get the thread locked but the script has options to "drift" the update interval and can also add random delays to seem more "human". Low ticket items commonly dropped off heavily farmed names will show up with odd prices like 26213 due to the automated "undercut" percentage, add in that none of this works while offline and you have a clear profile.

(This is a bit FV centric but anyway.)

Always online and never offline, has 17 of the random meh drops from a named (that also has an augment on their loot table) all priced exactly 1% or 3% lower than anyone else. Augments will either be excluded from the script or set to a minimum of 500k just to use a random example. Might well have three or four thousand Luclinite Ore. You used to see price scripts fighting each other but the summer population decline and targeted suspensions has lessened that somewhat.
    Stymie and Metanis like this.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

I do this. I assume the normal traders are trying to max out their plat. I just want to clean out my bags and make an acceptable amount. So I undercut by a lot and if the other traders buy my stuff.. *shrug* I still sold it at what I thought was a fair price. (fair being enough - not the amount I'd be willing to pay for the stuff personally. I'm cheap.)
    Nennius and Svann2 like this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

When four buyers go up at the same time? i mean the exact same time yea its a script or whatever they use. I personally think they need to make something so all of us are on equal playing terms not fair when i have to manually change price one at a time when someone can just click one button. There's a reason why there usually never more than 25ish buyers at a time because ppl know they will be out bidded very soon. Some scripts are done every so often while others are more so.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How can you track when buyers go up?
    Nennius likes this.
  12. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

This is actually overcome by using a search bot team that updates data to the traders so their only change is reading a file and updating the pricing without any real queries. :mad:
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is a good point, you can have characters that are not even in the bazaar do the searches and the bazaar toons just do updates.
  14. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Would have been far smarter to charge a tiny % fee on each item the instant it's listed and if you update you are charged again.

The bazaar is just so old and never updated it has so many holes in it for abuse it's silly. But this is an old game I can't imagine how abusable it is on a live server as I only play on the TLPs.
    Stymie and Skrab like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

An auction house style similar to what WoW has would be preferable as you can't update the prices once it is listed and have to wait until it expires to relist it.
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

An overhauled Bazaar will be an expansion feature, with multiple cash shop additions in the next couple years.
  17. smash Augur

Just make all the sellers shall be off line, so people cannot change prizes xx number of times.

Make so you cannot change prices, and if you take items off the sale list, they cannot get back on b4 24 hours have gone.
    Knifen likes this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That could be a good thing and a way to deal with some of the problems we now see.
    Knifen likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Seems like overkill and prevents people from correcting mistakes in pricing.
    Nennius and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Yeah... because it is great to be forced to NOT play the game when you want to.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.