Barriers to entry

Discussion in 'General Beta Discussion' started by heruthemonk, Nov 1, 2017.

1. heruthemonk Lorekeeper

So word on the street is that EoK group progression , specifically dragon 1 , will be needed to ,effectively, access this latest expac ?

This seems rather short sighted , there is a constant influx of returning players on live servers , making it harder to get groups , and catch up to your peers , in the latest expac seems insane..

In business when you want to stop ,new, competition you find a way to increase the entry barriers .. this is not a good a good strategy for an aging computer game .
    noclue, Jumbur, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  2. Axxius Augur

Yes, there are Kar'Zoks casting Gust of Atrebe and Aura of the Kar'Zok. If you don't have Essence of the Dragon I you are going to get rekt.

Forcing everybody to do the entire EoK group progression doesn't seem very reasonable. You can expect the raiders to be organized enough, but the entire casual player base? Every single new character will need to do the EoK progression if they want to play in RoS? Bad idea IMO. Expect a lot of crying and quitting.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  3. High Voltage Elder

Well, it seems most will level to 110 outside of RoS anyway. Doing EoK progression at 110 shouldn't be too hard. Worse, you have to do TDS for power sources and TBM for Dicho, too.
    moogs likes this.
  4. Mortium Journeyman

EoK progression at 105 is simple, but the pain is having to do tradeskills if you go that route.
  5. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I specifically made that quest so you can get someone else to do the tradeskills...
    And I don't see any reasons the Kar'Zok would suddenly lose all of their powers simply because it is a new expansion. And giving away something other people worked so hard on... would cause a totally different type of backlash,
  6. Horyuken Elder

I think you all are making a big deal out of nothing. Just play the game.
  7. Zardifo Stonefist Elder

EoK progression isnt that hard, I did it on my 3box in about 3 - 4 days playing. If I had it to do over I would have planned it better. Get a decent group and knock it out over the course of a week or so, plan it right and knock out named for hunter also.
  8. Khat_Nip Augur

EoK has been out for 351 days. That wasn't enough time to bang out some progression even super-casually?
    The good news is you still have 39 days to get your ducks in a row before RoS.
  9. Jalelorf Lorekeeper

Fewer filthy casuals in the new zones gets a thumbs up from me. :p
  10. Hiladdar Augur

RoS looks and feels like EoK part 2. I think that had this been 5 years ago, EoK and RoS would of been released as one expansion. If the foundation for RoS is EoK, then expecting progression from EoK finished prior to starting on RoS makes sense.

I do not have a problem with casuals in the zone provided that effective in the zone, i.e. geared for the zone and have the skills for that zone.
  11. heruthemonk Lorekeeper

Honestly with all due respect , I think your missing the point . EoK progression being a hard requirement , is putting barriers in the way of returning players, hanging with their friends .

I have competed it and have no problem doing so on my boxes (apart from my Druid box which is getting shelved for the year, unless I get super bored) , catching them up with the solo tasks won't take long , but for the health of the game I think it's a mistake

Having a way to get immunity Within the , then to be, current expac would be good . Or a few zones without those green guys so people can exp with friends
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  12. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Overthere (except a rare... avoid that rare...)
    Skyfire
    Yes, there are Sarnak in these zones, but none of them are Kar'Zok (Except the mentioned rare)

also
    Veeshan's Peak (Though you may need to go in zones with Kar'Zok to get the key)

I don't see any in Howling Stones... (though I could be wrong there...)

So... there are zones without them.

Gorowyn, well... it's a sarnak city. They should be expected there.
    heruthemonk, Warpeace and gotwar like this.
  13. Bobsmith Augur

I'm still upset about the easymode Alaran language task in Shards......cuts eyes
    Every time I see an alt go from 0-100 in 2 minutes a small part of me dies inside.
    Ps revamp sepulcher for fun times this next HH :)
  14. heruthemonk Lorekeeper

Thats great , better than i had been led to believe ( which was 0 safe space for people without)

Thanks for taking the time to set the record straight
  15. Warpeace Augur

There were ZERO barriers for getting into RoS to start with. All these drama threads on its to hard I don't want to do progression from EoK, blah, blah, blah.....

Glad to see things actually build off one another for a change and give meaning to past achievements.

Any barriers are self imposed by players, so far it has not been the content.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  16. Mortium Journeyman

I'm certainly not complaining, just pointing out that the only issue with that quest is if for some reason you decide to skillup from 0 to the required skills if you go by the tradeskill route. ie it's not really a great barrier to entry IMO.

17. Moege Augur

Does our mercenaries now resist the aoe or is that still broken ?
  18. heruthemonk Lorekeeper

I see no drama itt, it was constructive feedback based on player provided information.

As to barriers to entry, it was an analogy using financial/business terminology . Before you reply and make a fool out of me and you , I suggest you read this laymans explanation . Clearly any hard requirements to enter RoS group zones , is a barrier to content , for new/returning players . Whether it's a valid progression route or not , is not the subject of debate . I see no drama or whining from anyone in this thread , it's whole purpose was to point out that returning players would be affected , and the more casual types.

Now Negreth has clearly disabused me of that notion , by providing data on zones without /avoidable green aura/gust casting Sarnak's .
    Yinla likes this.
  19. fransisco Augur

this would be a very big deal
  20. Repthor Augur

Id be fine with a quest to unlock essence of dragon 1 for my mercs