Bards: Mana Regen

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Niloiv, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Niloiv Elder

With the resource drain on bards becoming harsher, should (maybe "could" is proper here) we be treated like a "normal" casting class and have the resource embargo lifted? This has already happened some: #bardsLoveMages.
  2. Zanarnar Augur

Sure, if you also give up being able to cast and move at the same time.

Oh, and go back and give every song a mana cost!
  3. code-zero Augur

If mana regen is your principle criteria then gear for mana regen and mana pool size. We all have to make decisions based on what we perceive as our class needs.
  4. Chorus Augur

Also, check your hero's resolution. If you haven't done those, you're probably missing a good chunk of mana regen.
    svann likes this.
  5. Cloud the Third Augur

Insult is the only thing that really drains your mana. Don't use it if you are having mana issues.

End is the only thing I normally run low on not mana from BB and shout.
  6. Niloiv Elder

I feel like your statement isnt quite fair. True, 20 years ago bards were created with that mechanic in mind, but the class has evolved (I think positive) to a point where the paradigm of a bard's line up went from rarely using mana, to guzzling it like crazy (also a good thing).

This change has been gradually increasing, and my concern has been confirmed by the fact that they gave us access to Mana Rods. Now, if your statement is to be true, then as soon they made that change then we should have stopped moving and singing, but instead they are making our class more interesting by creating resource demands.

ToV resource management has been so much fun for my bard, but I am concerned that if this trajectory continues, we will have an issue keeping up. I asked a question to engage in a positive discussion for pro's and con's.

My question is to engage in a conversation to ask, "why not give modern bards access to some/all the resource regen sources?" What are the pro's and con's to that paradigm shift?

I'm not positing that it is necessary, im questioning what could be the benefits. This discussion could result in "no, bards should not have that access." That's fine. It's more of an academic exercise.

The "principle criteria" is not mana regen, but rather that bards are except from most resource replenishment AND the paradigm for bards resource usage has shifted by taxing our resources beyond the current system's expectations. Gear choice (there are very minor decisions outside of augs these days) does not solve this budding problem.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to keep up an optimal melody (I can do that for an entire ToV raid fight, but new and upcoming bards will be lacking gear and hero's AAs and make the entry bar higher and higher).

thanks everyone for the feedback so far.
  7. code-zero Augur

8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I still chew through endurance faster than mana.. please give us back an updated form of Jaxon's Jig o Vigor..
    Wulfhere and Tucoh like this.
  9. ptah Augur

As bard goes
    1. HP i must be able to live. This means AE and im never going a target for heals.. so i inflated HP.
    2. Mana *both mana regen and mana pool. Very important for adps. Both synergy 99% and allaince.
    3. My dps.

Now all 3 are importance, and 100% i stress out over 2. but they are all important.

Now im TBL geared and Spec to Hint. 289k mana with 389 combat regen with Mrods, rally, xyz tonic, yea i still issues about the 17min mark. But i cycle insult as much as possible and sometimes i double with non push and push.

I playing around with Ping potions to see if 5k mana return is worth the pp. So i go 100 potions to test out if i like it or not. If i do.. maybe then i focus more HP or nasty ars Hdex.
  10. Szilent Augur

Plat doesn't even matter, they ain't worth the click time.
    Tucoh likes this.
  11. Chorus Augur

It's been that way since day 1 of the game. New and upcoming of ANY class is going to have issues if they lack gear/aa. This isn't something that's fixable without making the game too easy. It's pretty close to that point as it is. I don't see any points here as to why they should even consider radically altering the system based on an argument that basically says, "I don't want to have to put effort into the build of my character due to how much time it will take". This isn't, and never was, that kind of cakewalk game and shouldn't become such either. That isn't a sound argument to make in my opinion, it's just complaining for the sake of complaining.
  12. ptah Augur

Also before I forget again, Glyph of lost secerts I thought worked for us on both Test and live. I need retest as I requested someone confirm and not nothing but claim it did on test.

Figure others would of added in by now.
  13. Jhinx Whimsical Chinchilla

The majority of the classes offer the "normal" casting class experience. Bards stand alone as a class that approach the game from a different angle, marching to the beat of their own drummer as it were. It is the differences that make this class unique, and a large part of the appeal of playing it.

While there are numerous issues, such as poor mana regeneration, we also are the only class that can cast on the run, and sprinting like the wind is what we do with aplomb. While we do not benefit from Enchanter mind candy (beyond the possible raiding on our INT, or the meagre bits of raw mana) or "Kitty Crack", we also are immune to being mana drained (at least on TLP, not sure if this is still the case on Live).

The lion's share of our songs do not even utilize mana a resource. Insult is the main offender as it drinks deep into our mana pool (gear and AA dependent), but with the 2% change to Fade, that bloated mana pool was a resource that was rife for exploitation.

A place I could see a change would be to either our Endurance regen (please make it Passive, there's enough buttons to mash lol) after the doubling of the cost to Vainglorious Shout.
    Cuuthbert likes this.
  14. Waitwhat Elder

Niloiv, delete your threads and then delete your bard. Bye.
    Cuuthbert likes this.
  15. Tucoh Augur

Lore-wise it's crazy that bards are the most endurance starved class.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  16. svann Augur

Remember that heroic Int increases mana regen and mana pool. I think many bards weigh it zero value and thats not right. imo
  17. Niloiv Elder

This is a fair point as well, and why i use "resource" instead of mana. Endurance/Mana usage seem to be increasing at a much larger rate than gear and AAs can accommodate. Other classes have extra ways to regen resources that we are blocked. So, I started this discussion.
  18. Niloiv Elder

I apologize everyone. Someone graciously pointed out in a PM that my OP and its post location has made some confusion about my intentions. I intended this to be more of a "thought exercise" for a possible future issue, not a "troubleshoot" for a current issue. Sorry for the confusion.
  19. Dhurgan Augur

Content designers and developers need to be proactive while players need to be reactive. The vision and direction of the game is the responsibility of the content designers. Our role is to play the game, support their vision, and offer potential solutions to current problems.
  20. Funky Augur

alliance! with multiple bards running insults.. it will fire off like crazy! but will eat your mana quick... usually chain casting alliance till 50% mana, then swap to next bard.. depending on event, the use of RS and mod rod.. no problem keeping up mana at that point