Bard the Pointless Class

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Cloud the Third, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Bards, in a commercial.

Tucoh likes this.
  2. Jennre Band Leader

You would be incorrect then. I use them all the time in groups, along with 4 meaningful ADPS songs =)

Cheers!
    Kurage_of_Luclin, code-zero and Anhur like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Cool. What is your lineup?
  4. Anhur Journeyman

Would you be open/willing to share you song/melody line up as it stands in ToV?
  5. Funky Augur

sharing a melody lineup can be a bit complicated due to group makeup... i know when im actively just on my bard grouping... my song lineup changes quite often.. except for Aria, War March and Om. Song of suffering which nearly never leave my song lineup.

what kind of group makeup are you asking for a song lineup for?
    Anhur likes this.
  6. Anhur Journeyman

Hello,

I generally play with the same folks in group content: BRD (me), BST, SK, CLR, ROG & WIZ - my song lineup currently is;

Sathir's Insult > Malvus's Chant of Poison > Aria of Margidor > Fatesong of Radiwol > Sathir's Insult > Malvus's Chant of Poison > War March of Radiwol > Sontalak's Aria > Sathir's Insult > Sontalak's Chant of Flame > Omorden's Song of Suffering > Zlexak's Chant of Disease > Arcane Symphony > Yelinak's Chant of Frost

Other than Aura of Vhal'Sera, I don't utilise HP/Mana/Endurance regen songs as frankly I find the regen capabilities on offer from the BST and SK are sufficient, or a few minutes med break at the worst.

The intention behind this line up is to balance/intertwine: personal DPS, boosting melee damage and boosting spell damage.

In reality, things die real fast - even named/bosses - so several of the DoT songs are missed/skipped - I'd like to be 'optimal' but that could mean front loading party wide boosts, or putting all my DoTs first?

Thanks.
  7. Szilent Augur

Definitely trade out your regen aura for the overhaste one. Margidor if you've gotten to 115, but absolutely 110 Begalru if you haven't yet, don't swap to regen. And definitely chop some songs out of that monster of a melody - there's no way you're keeping Aria active like that. Aura+Aria is the juicy core of bard power, you're basically not meeting expectations for a bard if they're not active. There is some overlap in what they do, but the stacking benefits of Aura+Aria are what makes bards amazing for their groups' melee.

First on the chopping block, Fatesong & Sontalak: neither add nearly enough to justify using. "Add to what the teammates do" is a nice thought, but the numbers totally aren't behind them. The Suffering & Arcane CAN hang out still while keeping Aria active, they're better than Fatesong/Sontalak, but you might not even do them. Have to test whether they cause any gap in Aria. If they cause any gap in Aria - any at all - they're not worth it. I do use two buffs besides Aria WarMarch, but I've chosen the other direction, heal boosting (at least partially based on my almost entirely going without slows or CC): I go with Pulse & Reckless.

/melody Sathir Aria Sathir WarMarch Sathir Crescendo Sathir dot Sathir dot Sathir Pulse Sathir Reckless Sathir dot Sathir dot

That's Aria WarMarch dot dot Pulse Reckless dot dot -- with Sathir alternating.

Sathir will skip if it hasn't refreshed yet. Putting it in the melody alternating with all the other songs makes sure that it gets slotted in on-refresh regardless of Quick Time changing song cast times for 4 minutes out of every 10. Spacing out the casts "manually" as in your melody either skips casts when songs are hasted, or introduces unnecessary delay when songs are not hasted.

More aggressively DPS-oriented bards will skip the second two buffs entirely, just running Aria WarMarch +dots (with Sathirs alternating)(or even with Sathir+Omorden, if knockback isn't an issue)

Crescendo will skip if it hasn't refreshed yet. That's likely to happen at least every second cycle through the melody. I'm not terribly concerned with hitting Crescendo on-refresh, but with a low disruption to the melody it's a nicely powerful mana regen song.
    Anhur likes this.
  8. Niloiv Elder

Aura of Margidor (119 for haste) and Aria of Margidor (119 for haste) do not stack their haste. The only thing that you gain by running both is Aura's net gain +16% flurry (and depending on your group makeup that can get blocked) over Aria.

Whereas Aura of Vhal'Sera stacks with Chorus of Vhal'Sera (not pulse).

If one is keeping Aria up in the line up, I can see a valid argument to run Aura of Vhal'Sera in group-content to mitigate downtime from resource loss.

But Szilent's advice is really good for a line up. Change to that and watch how better your group does.
    Anhur likes this.
  9. Cloud the Third Augur

Haste aura

Warsong, dot 1, dot 2, dot 3, arcane, dot 4, warsong, dot 1, dot 2, arcane, dot 3, dot 4, warsong, dot 1, arcane, dot 2, dot 3, dot 4, arcane

Regen song is ae so only 1 bard needs to play it on raids. Insults are kinda borderline whether they are worth casting at all, in group no but in raids 1 bard can cast the group one and make it worth while but still kinda =/
  10. Tucoh Augur

Isn't insult 90k damage per group member, making the song worth ~400k damage in a full group with no pets? Are the other songs really competitive with that?
  11. Cloud the Third Augur

Crit for 1.4 million every 6 secs yes, average 350k per tick each. And they don't drain your mana forcing you to stop pulling and have to rest for a few mins which really makes up for it.

For raids with other bards and alliance it is probably still worth it but not really taken the time to fully test whether it is worth it since it is more of a pain to parse the recourse it gives to others.
  12. Cloud the Third Augur

I went and did some small parses for the new insult.

The average damage per hit was about 160k damage.and it takes about 6 secs per hit if you were to just chain cast the single song. It eats through alot of mana fast which bards don't really regen very fast. It says it pushes the mob which is always a bad thing but I have yet to see it really move the mob.

Hard to test the damage increase it does for others solo but I really am not sure with the cost if it would be useful for anything outside a raid with the eating of mana.
  13. Niloiv Elder

@Cloud ToV mobs have quite the Hps. What song (beside aria) provides better adps for your group? if you do an insult patter similiar to Szilent you should be able to last 30-45 in group gear and much longer in raid gear. Quick med takes no time.
  14. Niloiv Elder

90k x 6 = 540k (450k if the healer is lazy)
    Tucoh likes this.
  15. Cloud the Third Augur

Your talking about a perfect world and it always hitting for 90k which although I have not taken the time to parse it guessing it doesn't. That and often you don't have a full / ideal group these days.

For raids like i said probably still good to do but most single groups it just isn't in alot of cases.

I just did a test and even though it says 100% chance to give all group members the ability I don't see anything in the parse of them getting it.

It is difficult to parse due to not seeing like a DD from that player for the additional damage since it increases normal melee damage or one of their spells so very hard to track.
  16. shiftie Augur

Been half out of the bard game for a while walk me through this group insult I was checking raidloot and I must be missing something.
  17. Sancus Augur

It always adds 90k damage. It also lands on main pets (not swarm pets), so any pet class in group gets double the benefit.
  18. Niloiv Elder

With the most recent Insult (direct damage song - Sathir's Insult or Omorden's Insult ) + your AA Troubadour's Synergy max level (each time you cast the insult it has a 100% chance to grant a temporary buff (read "song") to each member in your group that adds 90k damage to their next melee or spell attack).

You seem to be very much against something that you havent even parsed? But it most assuredly always hits for 90k. Even if you dont have a full group this song lands on melee mercs (bard + melee merc right now is pretty great) and group main pets - you are leaving a lot of adps on the table by not using this. Again, tell me a song that adds 90k damage AND does it for each member of the group

Cloud, my friend, this "Adds" it to their attack. it cant miss because it gets added. it's not difficult to parse this. This is by far one of the bards' better adps abilities (it is jockeying for position above aria). It's not even close to marginally good. It's definitely amazing.
    Duder likes this.
  19. Cloud the Third Augur

It is difficult to parse and every hit will be different so it is hard to say if it always does 90k or if that is the base and it can do less. There are plenty of other abilities that can get resisted see BB which list a set damage but doesn't always do that amount. So has a dev confirmed it is a 100% 90k damage or not before or are you just guessing from the text it is doing that?

I just know i stopped using it during ToV because my parse with 3 people in our group it was doing less overall damage. This was from parsing with and without for around 3 hours each with the same group members and it was worst overall dps. It is a difficult to parse because you can't figure out how much damage the ability really does compared to their normal hit it can't be split apart,.
  20. Niloiv Elder

I am moble atm, when I get home let me pull up some data. but according to Lucy data it is categorizes as "unresistable"